[Debian-Lex]

Warren Stramiello
Do any of y'all know who is in charge of the Debian-Lex project /
webpage?  It looks like it has been inactive for years and I wanted to
update the page ... but I'm not sure whom to contact to get the
permissions to do so.

I also wanted to see if anyone is still active on the Debian-Lex
subproject so that I could help out--if not, I may be able to start it
up again (since I've been using Debian since Hamm, I've been an attorney
here in the US for the last decade, and I use Debian (and OSS tools)
heavily in my legal practice).  Any idea who the best folks to pester
about that would be?

Thanks,
Warren

Warren Stramiello | Computer Scientist & Attorney
5 Masefield Lane
Hartsdale, NY  10530
(415) 423-3571 (Direct Phone) | (678) 619-1337 (Skype)
[hidden email] | [hidden email]

Re: [Debian-Lex]

Laura Arjona Reina-4
Hi Warren

El 17 de mayo de 2017 19:51:02 CEST, Warren Stramiello <[hidden email]> escribió:
>Do any of y'all know who is in charge of the Debian-Lex project /
>webpage?  It looks like it has been inactive for years and I wanted to
>update the page ... but I'm not sure whom to contact to get the
>permissions to do so.
>
>I also wanted to see if anyone is still active on the Debian-Lex
>subproject so that I could help out--if not,

The last non-spam messages in the list, about the status of the project:

https://lists.debian.org/debian-lex/2013/10/

And the wiki page:
https://wiki.debian.org/DebianLex

I may be able to start it
>up again (since I've been using Debian since Hamm, I've been an
>attorney
>here in the US for the last decade, and I use Debian (and OSS tools)
>heavily in my legal practice).

Thanks for your support to Debian all these years.

Any idea who the best folks to pester
>about that would be?

I would post to the list my proposals and try to go ahead if there is no resistance, as Andreas Tille says in the mail thread posted above.

For changing/updating the wiki you need a wiki account; go to

https://wiki.debian.org/FrontPage?action=newaccount

If you have no wiki account yet.

https://wiki.debian.org/DebianPureBlends

 in order to ease the work of restarting Debian Lex development, and move the related info to the www.debian.org/blends section once the development is ongoing.

Thank you very much for your interest!

Best regards

Laura Arjona Reina
https://wiki.debian.org/LauraArjona

Re: [Debian-Lex]

Davor Balder
Hi Warren,

This project seems dormant at the moment.

I had a brief look at a list of software (about a month ago) - a lot of
software was outdated and not longer in active development.

This could be an interesting project to revive should you have the
stamina to see it through.

Kind regards

On 05/18/17 14:14, Warren Stramiello wrote:

> Do any of y'all know who is in charge of the Debian-Lex project /
> webpage?  It looks like it has been inactive for years and I wanted to
> update the page ... but I'm not sure whom to contact to get the
> permissions to do so.
>
> I also wanted to see if anyone is still active on the Debian-Lex
> subproject so that I could help out--if not, I may be able to start it
> up again (since I've been using Debian since Hamm, I've been an
> attorney here in the US for the last decade, and I use Debian (and OSS
> tools) heavily in my legal practice).  Any idea who the best folks to
> pester about that would be?
>
> Thanks,
> Warren

Re: [Debian-Lex]

Vincent Veyron
On Thu, 18 May 2017 12:14:36 +0800
Warren Stramiello <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I also wanted to see if anyone is still active on the Debian-Lex
> subproject so that I could help out--if not, I may be able to start it
> up again (since I've been using Debian since Hamm, I've been an attorney
> here in the US for the last decade, and I use Debian (and OSS tools)
> heavily in my legal practice).  Any idea who the best folks to pester
> about that would be?

I maintain Marica in the list, the English version of which is visible in my sig.

This software aims to serve legal departements that manage a large number of legal files (hence probably also a large number of lawyers). The structure of the legal files in the software is based on a standard[*] historically used in French legal departments for paper files. It is not intended for lawyers, so I doubt it would fit your practice, but if you care to have a look through the demo account and give me your impression, I would appreciate it.

I would also like to see a revival of the Debian-Lex project : this software can be used internationally as the model can be applied to any kind of legal file and translation is easy; thus I believe it could be made into a debian package used for legal file management. Not sure about going at it alone though.

[* : See 'Introduction' in http://legalcase.libremen.com/site/aide/index.html]

--
                                        Bien à vous, Vincent Veyron

https://legalcase.libremen.com/
Legal case, contract and insurance claim management software

Re: [Debian-Lex]

Warren Stramiello
I'd be happy to give it a longer look when I have the chance; I gave it
a quick skim earlier today.

I think it might have use for some subsets of legal practice here in the
US (I could see it possibly being adaptable for legal aid / public
defender's offices; it also seems suited for law firms that handle
massive batches of insurance defense claims).  U.S. legal practice and
casefile management varies heavily between attorneys, firms, and
practice types, so use outside of specific niches seems unlikely.  I
know that there are some OSS folk in the public defender / legal aid
space in the U.S. and that they are working on using OSS tech to help
out; I don't know of any that exist in the insurance defense space.  It
might be worth approaching some of them to see if they are interested.

On 05/18/2017 10:15 PM, Vincent Veyron wrote:

> On Thu, 18 May 2017 12:14:36 +0800
> Warren Stramiello <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I also wanted to see if anyone is still active on the Debian-Lex
>> subproject so that I could help out--if not, I may be able to start it
>> up again (since I've been using Debian since Hamm, I've been an attorney
>> here in the US for the last decade, and I use Debian (and OSS tools)
>> heavily in my legal practice).  Any idea who the best folks to pester
>> about that would be?
>>
> I maintain Marica in the list, the English version of which is visible in my sig.
>
> This software aims to serve legal departements that manage a large number of legal files (hence probably also a large number of lawyers). The structure of the legal files in the software is based on a standard[*] historically used in French legal departments for paper files. It is not intended for lawyers, so I doubt it would fit your practice, but if you care to have a look through the demo account and give me your impression, I would appreciate it.
>
> I would also like to see a revival of the Debian-Lex project : this software can be used internationally as the model can be applied to any kind of legal file and translation is easy; thus I believe it could be made into a debian package used for legal file management. Not sure about going at it alone though.
>
> [* : See 'Introduction' in http://legalcase.libremen.com/site/aide/index.html]

Warren Stramiello | Computer Scientist & Attorney
5 Masefield Lane
Hartsdale, NY  10530
(415) 423-3571 (Direct Phone) | (678) 619-1337 (Skype)
[hidden email] | [hidden email]

Re: [Debian-Lex]

Paul Wise via nm
On Thu, May 18, 2017 at 1:51 AM, Warren Stramiello wrote:

> Do any of y'all know who is in charge of the Debian-Lex project / webpage?

BTW folks, I've been resending this thread to debian-lex, you might
all want to CC it in future. There were a couple of mails on
debian-lex that were not CCed to debian-www or elsewhere:

https://lists.debian.org/msgid-search/91d53025-dabf-55bb-3668-4b0110e245d9@...
https://lists.debian.org/msgid-search/b95a7290-3bd3-c184-7d71-438127e7382c@...

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise

RE: [Debian-Lex]

Kevin T. Neely

I’m curious if anyone has checked out Freeeed.  (the Free Electronic Ediscovery package).  It’s based on Apache Lucene, an OCR package I can’t remember, and some others.  I tested out a couple versions back and it is pretty amazing for free software that can scale-out in AWS when you need it.  Just curious if anyone has tried it.

http://freeeed.org/

Kevin

> [...]

I would also like to see a revival of the Debian-Lex project : this software can be used internationally as the model can be applied to any kind of legal file and translation is easy; thus I believe it could be made into a debian package used for legal file management. Not sure about going at it alone though.

[* : See 'Introduction' in http://legalcase.libremen.com/site/aide/index.html]

--

                                       Bien à vous, Vincent Veyron

https://legalcase.libremen.com/

Legal case, contract and insurance claim management software

Warren Stramiello | Computer Scientist & Attorney
5 Masefield Lane
Hartsdale, NY  10530
(415) 423-3571 (Direct Phone) | (678) 619-1337 (Skype)
[hidden email] | [hidden email]

In Vino Veritas

Re: [Debian-Lex]

Mechtilde Stehmann

Am 18.05.2017 um 06:15 schrieb Laura Arjona Reina:

> The last non-spam messages in the list, about the status of the project:
>
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-lex/2013/10/

IMO it was these posting in 2016:

https://lists.debian.org/debian-lex/2016/11/msg00002.html

And I am no spammer.

But a little more business would be good for this project.

Kind regards
Michael