Debian PPC64le GFX driver situation

Carlos-9
Hello,

I would like to ask about the driver situation regarding PPC64le.
Which one is to prefer? AMD or nVidia?

Thanks in advance

Re: Debian PPC64le GFX driver situation

John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
On Mon, Aug 14, 2017 at 11:42:11AM +0200, Carlos wrote:
> I would like to ask about the driver situation regarding PPC64le.
> Which one is to prefer? AMD or nVidia?

You should actually elaborate a bit more what you are planning to do
with the graphcis hardware. On POWER8, people usually use such
graphics card to perform numerical calculations and for these
purposes, nVidia boards are usually the preferred choice as there is
very good upstream support for them. You can actually buy POWER8
servers from IBM which come with nVidia hardware preinstalled [1].

The nVidia graphics drivers for "ppc64el" are currently not packaged
in Debian [2], but there are current drivers available upstream [3]. I
have no ideas though whether those will actually also work with normal
GeForce boards, those might be Tesla-only at the moment.

I assume that nVidia would release GeForce drivers for POWER8 if there
were any POWER8-based workstations like the Talos available in larger
quantities.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz

Re: Debian PPC64le GFX driver situation

Carlos-9
Hello Adrian,

thank you for your feedback.

Let’s hope Raptor will be successfully ;-)
I googled a little bit around and found a Phoronix article about the Talos POWER8.
He mentioned to use older Kepler cards (nVidia) or AMD cards.
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=talos-workstation&num=1

The POWER9 system uses a AMD Polaris 10 XT. I hope a Polaris 12 XT will work also.
OpenCL is supported also on PPC64el, I think. I found downloads on the IBM page.

Best regards

> Am 14.08.2017 um 20:41 schrieb John Paul Adrian Glaubitz <[hidden email]>:
>
> On Mon, Aug 14, 2017 at 11:42:11AM +0200, Carlos wrote:
>> I would like to ask about the driver situation regarding PPC64le.
>> Which one is to prefer? AMD or nVidia?
>
> You should actually elaborate a bit more what you are planning to do
> with the graphcis hardware. On POWER8, people usually use such
> graphics card to perform numerical calculations and for these
> purposes, nVidia boards are usually the preferred choice as there is
> very good upstream support for them. You can actually buy POWER8
> servers from IBM which come with nVidia hardware preinstalled [1].
>
> The nVidia graphics drivers for "ppc64el" are currently not packaged
> in Debian [2], but there are current drivers available upstream [3]. I
> have no ideas though whether those will actually also work with normal
> GeForce boards, those might be Tesla-only at the moment.
>
> I assume that nVidia would release GeForce drivers for POWER8 if there
> were any POWER8-based workstations like the Talos available in larger
> quantities.
>
> Adrian
>
>> [1] https://www.ibm.com/blogs/systems/ibm-nvidia-present-nvlink-server-youve-waiting/
>> [2] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=832899
>> [3] http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/122816/en-us
>
> --
> .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
> : :' :  Debian Developer - [hidden email]
> `. `'   Freie Universitaet Berlin - [hidden email]
>  `-    GPG: 62FF 8A75 84E0 2956 9546  0006 7426 3B37 F5B5 F913

Re: Debian PPC64le GFX driver situation

Bo Svangård
unsubcribe