Debian Package

Jake-80
Hello,

I was creating a Debian package and after it install I would like it to
prompt the user to reboot the computer, is there anyway to do this?

Thank You,
Jacob Fernandes

Re: Debian Package

Patrick Matthäi-3
Am 09.03.2010 18:52, schrieb Jake:
> Hello,
>
> I was creating a Debian package and after it install I would like it to
> prompt the user to reboot the computer, is there anyway to do this?

The right way here is to use debconf for it.
But why should it be needed to reboot the computer after this?

I am feeling myself remembered to windows systems >.<

--
/*
Mit freundlichem Gruß / With kind regards,

E-Mail: [hidden email]
         [hidden email]

Comment:
Always if we think we are right,
we were maybe wrong.
*/

Re: Debian Package

Brian M. Carlson
On Tue, Mar 09, 2010 at 12:52:31PM -0500, Jake wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was creating a Debian package and after it install I would like it to
> prompt the user to reboot the computer, is there anyway to do this?

Except in very limited circumstances, there should be no need to reboot
the computer after installing a package.  The only exception I can think
of is something related to the kernel; in general, root should be aware
that a reboot is required to make that functionality work, but may want
to defer it indefinitely (for example, on a server).

So yes, the right way to do this is debconf, but what you want to do is
probably the wrong thing.

+1 713 440 7475 | http://crustytoothpaste.ath.cx/~bmc | My opinion only

Re: Debian Package

Arthur de Jong-2
On Tue, 2010-03-09 at 18:25 +0000, brian m. carlson wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 09, 2010 at 12:52:31PM -0500, Jake wrote:
> > I was creating a Debian package and after it install I would like it
> > to prompt the user to reboot the computer, is there anyway to do
> > this?
>
> Except in very limited circumstances, there should be no need to reboot
> the computer after installing a package.  The only exception I can think
> of is something related to the kernel; in general, root should be aware
> that a reboot is required to make that functionality work, but may want
> to defer it indefinitely (for example, on a server).
>
> So yes, the right way to do this is debconf, but what you want to do is
> probably the wrong thing.
You could also have a look at update-notifier. It has a mechanism to
signal users that they should reboot. Rebooting from maintainer scripts
is probably a bad idea (may leave dpkg in an inconsistent state).

--
-- arthur - [hidden email] - http://people.debian.org/~adejong --