Debian Project Leader Elections 2019: Call for nominations

Debian Project Leader Elections 2019: Call for nominations

Kurt Roeckx - Debian Project Secretary
[-- The following data is signed --]

Hi,

According to the constitution (5.2. Appointment), project
leader elections should begin "six weeks before the leadership
post becomes vacant, or (if it is too late already) immediately."

The new project leader term starts on 2019-04-17. The time line
looks like:

| Period     | Start             | End                 |
|------------+-------------------+---------------------|
| Nomination | Sunday 2019-03-03 | Saturday 2019-03-09 |
| Campaign   | Sunday 2019-03-10 | Saturday 2019-03-30 |
| Vote       | Sunday 2019-03-31 | Saturday 2019-04-13 |

Prospective leaders should be familiar with the constitution, but
just to review: there's a one week period when interested
developers can nominate themselves and announce their platform,
followed by a three week period intended for campaigning, followed
by two weeks for the election itself.

I intend to collect platform statements from the candidates, and
publish them at http://www.debian.org/vote/2019/platforms/ at the
end of the nomination period, which means around 2019-03-10.

I suggest that the candidates send the platform, preferably in
wml or HTML, to the secretary at least a day before the
publication date.

The format of the web page is open to discussion, but I suggest
there be at least three sections:
- Introduction / Biography
- Major Goal / Meat of the platform
- Rebuttal.

The candidates can make a rebuttal.  I would like to receive them
in the first week of the campaign period, so I can publish them
around 2019-03-17.

Details and results for the vote will be published at:
http://www.debian.org/vote/2019/vote_001

Please make sure that nominations are sent to (or cc:'d to)
debian-vote, and are cryptographically signed.

Kurt Roeckx
Debian Project Secretary

Re: Debian Project Leader Elections 2019: Call for nominations

Daniel Pocock

On 03/03/2019 01:17, Debian Project Secretary - Kurt Roeckx wrote:

> Please make sure that nominations are sent to (or cc:'d to)
> debian-vote, and are cryptographically signed.

A lot of people contacted me encouraging me to run for DPL as a way to
help Debian out of the current cultural and political problems.

Please judge my platform and ability to delivery rather than anything else.

Bio:

B. CompSc, University of Melbourne.  Previously elected to office in
Melbourne Uni Student Union, National Union of Students, Virtual
Moreland, YYRC, FSFE, directorships in various limited companies (all
private), an employee pension scheme and IFSO.  Languages: English, some
French, basic German and Spanish.  Location: Dublin/Lausanne/London.

Abstract:

Leading and not managing.  Building people up, not micro-managing them.

My platform:

Inspired by various apologies (stolen generation, Alan Turing, etc),
using the DPL role to formally apologize to everybody who has been
subject to defamation, disparaging comments, bullying or bastardization
by any leadership figure in the Debian organization, regardless of
whether such statements were made through a public list, debian-private
or personal emails.

Formally retracting and voiding those defamatory statements made by
the present and past leaders of the project

No more bastardization of volunteers with demotions and other
condescending, degrading and generally abusive communications

Shutting down the debian-private mailing list

Restoring the creditworthiness of the project, looking into all
reports of unpaid reimbursements, starting with RT ticket #7180 which
FFIS has failed to answer questions about.

Requiring all trust organizations to provide a brief machine-readable
financial summary, similar to the VAT returns produced by European
companies, every 3 months.  Any trust organization who can't do this may
be suspended (or demoted?  Oops, I ruled out demotions already)

Holding a peace summit for all disaffected members of the community.
Geneva and Dublin are potential locations but we could also follow the
US President's example and go to Hanoi, we will probably achieve more
there too.

Given the recent statements people have made in their official
capacities denouncing human rights principles, I would make an official
but rather abstract statement that the project embraces human rights
principles and seek input from the wider community and other
organizations about how to implement this commitment in practice.  This
will hopefully lead to an upgrade of the code of conduct with a more
balanced code that includes both rights and obligations, serving the
needs of all those with an interest in these topics.

Disbanding the anti-harassment team.  Creating a "pro-understanding"
team, starting over from scratch with a focus on welfare, mediation,
conflict resolution, building people up instead of tearing them down.
No more snitching and witch hunts.  This may involve an elected welfare
officer who is independent of the DPL.

Establishing a membership committee, elected by proportional
representation, with authority over DAM and clearer procedures and
criteria to ensure no member is trampled on or subjected to blackmail
ever again.

Migrating official communications of the project to platforms that are
resistant to censorship and gatekeepers.  Let's stop relying on Planet
Debian and lists.debian.org.  Get an RTL-SDR dongle and tune in to HB9FZT

Closing the [hidden email] email address, delegating all remaining
tasks of the DPL and turning it into a role that any member of the
community could see themselves doing.  Organizing an executive committee
meeting once every 2 weeks to make decisions.  It is interesting to note
that Switzerland is run this way, most people holding public office have
to keep their day job.

Resisting the urge to make official statements on Brexit from the
role of leader@.  Tusk has said it all anyway: there is a special place
in hell for the Brexiteers without a plan.  My final word on this issue:
if the UK doesn't want to be in the EU, give their place to
Albania+Kosovo then stop talking about Brexit and bring on the Ashes.

Split the DPL role between a chairperson and a CEO role, the
chairperson would facilitate the executive meetings while the CEO would
be a continuation of the DPL, hands-on.  If somebody has a conflict with
one of these roles, they would be able to speak to the person in the
other role.

Making changes that will aim to increase the ratio of women in Debian
to 3% within 12 months.  One idea is to appoint a couple of
female developers as Deputy DPL and asking them to handle all the
invitations to speak at events.  At least one event every month for
listening to women, not quite Women's MiniDebConf, less formal and with
more voices.  Looking for opportunities for women from other
organizations, outside the free software monoculture, to make a
contribution and give mentorship.

Not staying in office for more than 1 year.  Resigning early if I tick
off everything on this list.  Nobody should feel an obligation to serve
out their term in a role like this.  In Australian politics, there are
no fixed terms and betting on when the PM will decide to call an
election is all part of the fun.

Regards,

Daniel

--
Debian Developer

Re: Debian Project Leader Elections 2019: Call for nominations

Steve Langasek
On Sun, Mar 10, 2019 at 12:56:00AM +0100, Daniel wrote:

> On 03/03/2019 01:17, Debian Project Secretary - Kurt Roeckx wrote:

> > Please make sure that nominations are sent to (or cc:'d to)
> > debian-vote, and are cryptographically signed.

> A lot of people contacted me encouraging me to run for DPL as a way to
> help Debian out of the current cultural and political problems.

> Please judge my platform and ability to delivery rather than anything else.

There are no provisions in the Debian constitution for non-Developers to be
nominated for the position of DPL.

> --
> Debian Developer

This is an obviously untrue signature.

Ubuntu Developer                                   https://www.debian.org/

On 10/03/2019 04:44, Steve Langasek wrote:

> This is an obviously untrue signature.

Why do you want to taint the elections with more bullying, insulting and
disrespectful comments?

Re: Debian Project Leader Elections 2019: Call for nominations

Steve McIntyre
On Sun, Mar 10, 2019 at 11:20:03AM +0100, Daniel wrote:

>On 10/03/2019 04:44, Steve Langasek wrote:
>

>> This is an obviously untrue signature.
>
>Why do you want to taint the elections with more bullying, insulting and
>disrespectful comments?

He's telling the truth, nothing more.

Daniel, I don't know what you think you're trying to achieve here, but
nothing positive is happening. Please stop.

--
Steve McIntyre, Cambridge, UK.                                [hidden email]
Google-bait:       http://www.debian.org/CD/free-linux-cd
  lists asking us to send them to you.

Re: Debian Project Leader Elections 2019: Call for nominations

Sam Hartman-3
We seem to have reached the end of the nominations period with no Debian
developers stepping forward to nominate themselves.  As has been
discussed, the nomination in
<[hidden email]> is not
valid because the person nominating themselves is not a developer.

In fairness, I'd recommend that the nominations period be extended for
some explicit time.  I think that we want to have a known window for new
nominations rather than say starting the campaigning as soon as someone
nominates themselves.

Re: Debian Project Leader Elections 2019: Call for nominations

Joerg Jaspert
On 15337 March 1977, Sam Hartman wrote:

> In fairness, I'd recommend that the nominations period be extended for
> some explicit time.  I think that we want to have a known window for new
> nominations rather than say starting the campaigning as soon as someone
> nominates themselves.

§5.2.4 to the rescue. (Something I also missed earlier).

For three weeks after that no more candidates may be nominated;
candidates should use this time for campaigning and discussion. If there
are no candidates at the end of the nomination period then the
nomination period is extended for an additional week, repeatedly if
necessary.

So basically we are now having one more nomination period week.

bye, Joerg

Re: Debian Project Leader Elections 2019: Call for nominations

Kurt Roeckx - Debian Project Secretary

Since there were no candidates during the nomination period, the
nomination period has been extended by 1 week.

The new time line looks like:

| Period     | Start             | End                 |
|------------+-------------------+---------------------|
| Nomination | Sunday 2019-03-03 | Saturday 2019-03-16 |
| Campaign   | Sunday 2019-03-17 | Saturday 2019-04-06 |
| Vote       | Sunday 2019-04-07 | Saturday 2019-04-20 |

Kurt Roeckx
Debian Project Secretary

On Sun, Mar 10, 2019 at 01:48:23PM +0100, Joerg Jaspert wrote:

> On 15337 March 1977, Sam Hartman wrote:
>
> > In fairness, I'd recommend that the nominations period be extended for
> > some explicit time.  I think that we want to have a known window for new
> > nominations rather than say starting the campaigning as soon as someone
> > nominates themselves.
>
> §5.2.4 to the rescue. (Something I also missed earlier).

> For three weeks after that no more candidates may be nominated;
> candidates should use this time for campaigning and discussion. If there
> are no candidates at the end of the nomination period then the
> nomination period is extended for an additional week, repeatedly if
> necessary.
>
> So basically we are now having one more nomination period week.

It also means that the current DPL's term will expire before we
have a new DPL. I think this will apply in that case:

6. Technical committee

  6.1. Powers
[...]
    8. The Chair can stand in for the Leader, together with the Secretary
       As detailed in §7.1(2), the Chair of the Technical Committee and
       the Project Secretary may together stand in for the Leader if there
       is no Leader.
[...]

7. The Project Secretary

  7.1. Powers

   The Secretary:
[...]
    2. Can stand in for the Leader, together with the Chair of the
       Technical Committee.
       If there is no Project Leader then the Chair of the Technical
       Committee and the Project Secretary may by joint agreement make
       decisions if they consider it imperative to do so.

Kurt

Re: Debian Project Leader Elections 2019: Call for nominations

Zlatan Todoric-2
(sorry for top posting)
So, funny, maybe we will live to our long history of community fostering (which is the thing I most enjoy from Debian, besides that we produce kickass OS) and be leaderless as we in all nature of project actually are.

Doesn't sound too bad to me,

;)

On March 10, 2019 2:45:18 PM GMT+01:00, Kurt Roeckx <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Micha Lenk-9
Hi all,

On 10.03.19 18:48, Zlatan Todorić wrote:
> maybe we will live to our long history of community fostering (which is
> the thing I most enjoy from Debian, besides that we produce kickass OS)
> and be leaderless as we in all nature of project actually are.

If this ("leaderless as we in all nature of project actually are") were
true, our constitution would reflect that. We are too pedantic to live
with such a discrepancy for long.

Best regards,
Micha

Re: Debian Project Leader Elections 2019: Call for nominations

Ximin Luo-5
/usr/bin/dpl \
  --mode supervised-learning \
  --training-input [hidden email] \
  --training-input [hidden email] \
  --training-input [hidden email] \
  --authorized-peers /usr/share/keyrings/debian-keyring.gpg \
  --authorized-peers /usr/share/keyrings/debian-maintainers.gpg \
  --authorized-peers /usr/share/keyrings/debian-nonupload.gpg \
  --seed-addresses global-auto-discover

I for one welcome our new algorithmic overlords.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYG_4vJ4qNA

(d stands for decentralised)

Micha Lenk:

--
GPG: ed25519/56034877E1F87C35
GPG: rsa4096/1318EFAC5FBBDBCE
https://github.com/infinity0/pubkeys.git

On 15337 March 1977, Zlatan Todorić wrote:

> So, funny, maybe we will live to our long history of community
> fostering (which is the thing I most enjoy from Debian, besides that
> we produce kickass OS) and be leaderless as we in all nature of
> project actually are.

While the idea of going leaderless may sound good, the project isn't
setup for that. There is a whole bunch of things going via the leader
that is either hard to delegate or impossible to do so. It would need
quite a bunch of changes to the constitution to enable that.

bye, Joerg

On Sun, Mar 10, 2019 at 11:47:52AM +0100, Daniel wrote:
> On 10/03/2019 11:37, Steve McIntyre wrote:

> >> Why do you want to taint the elections with more bullying, insulting and
> >> disrespectful comments?

> > He's telling the truth, nothing more.

> > Daniel, I don't know what you think you're trying to achieve here, but

> That was explained in the platform, please read it again until you do
> understand

> > nothing positive is happening. Please stop.

> Instead of making condescending comments like that, feel free to put up
> your own platform or respond to the points in mine.  But don't treat
> other developers like children with silly comments like "Please stop"

You began your message commenting that people had contacted you encouraging
you to run for DPL.  These people are either ignorant of, or indifferent to,
Debian's constitutional framework.

Rather than correcting any possible misunderstandings on the part of these
individuals regarding your eligibility to stand for office, you are obliging
them by posting a platform to this public mailing list that implies that you
are a candidate for DPL, and directly misrepresents yourself as being a
Debian Developer, which is not a status that you hold.

You are clearly acting in bad faith.  If I were to guess at your motives, I
would presume you are playing to an audience of people who are not members
of the Debian Project, in order to bring pressure to bear on the project on
your behalf.

But whether that is your motivation or not, it is unconstructive to engage
in the substance of a platform that has been posted in bad faith.

Ubuntu Developer                                   https://www.debian.org/

Re: Debian Project Leader Elections 2019: Call for nominations

Chris Lamb -2
Dear Developers,

> Since there were no candidates during the nomination period, the
> nomination period has been extended by 1 week.

Whilst it would have been clear to any serious potential candidate
already, for the sake of clarity I will not be looking to extend my
term in this year's DPL elections.

This is for a number of wide-ranging and varied reasons — both related
to Debian and many entirely personal — that are likely too voluminous
and inappropriate to detail here at this time.

I would consider it a kindness if Developers ceased to speculate on my
motivations for not electing to run for a third consecutive term; most
of what I have read so far has been inaccurate at best and much of it
deeply problematic. Thank you in advance.

      ,''`.
     : :'  :     Chris Lamb
     `. `'`      [hidden email] 🍥 chris-lamb.co.uk
       `-

Re: Debian Project Leader Elections 2019: Call for nominations

Bdale Garbee
Chris, thank you for your service! Two terms as DPL is a serious contribution and commitment to Debian, and I greatly appreciate it!

Bdale

On March 12, 2019 3:26:26 AM MDT, Chris Lamb <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear Developers,

Since there were no candidates during the nomination period, the
nomination period has been extended by 1 week.

Whilst it would have been clear to any serious potential candidate
already, for the sake of clarity I will not be looking to extend my
term in this year's DPL elections.

This is for a number of wide-ranging and varied reasons — both related
to Debian and many entirely personal — that are likely too voluminous
and inappropriate to detail here at this time.

I would consider it a kindness if Developers ceased to speculate on my
motivations for not electing to run for a third consecutive term; most
of what I have read so far has been inaccurate at best and much of it
deeply problematic. Thank you in advance.

Re: Debian Project Leader Elections 2019: Call for nominations

Russ Allbery-2
Bdale Garbee <[hidden email]> writes:

> Chris, thank you for your service!  Two terms as DPL is a serious
> contribution and commitment to Debian, and I greatly appreciate it!

+1.  Thank you so much for everything you've done for Debian over the past
two years!

Russ Allbery ([hidden email])               <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>

Re: Debian Project Leader Elections 2019: Call for nominations

Paulo Henrique Santana-3

On 3/12/19 6:26 AM, Chris Lamb wrote:
> Dear Developers,
>
> Whilst it would have been clear to any serious potential candidate
> already, for the sake of clarity I will not be looking to extend my
> term in this year's DPL elections.

Thank you. I believe it was import you clarify that.

Mehdi, would you like to run again?
I saw you run in 2017 and you have experience as DPL.

Best regards,

--
Paulo Henrique de Lima Santana (phls)
Curitiba - Brasil

Organizador da DebConf19 - Conferência Mundial de Desenvolvedores(as) Debian
Curitiba - 21 a 28 de julho de 2019
http://debconf19.debconf.org

Re: Debian Project Leader Elections 2019: Call for nominations

Daniel Kahn Gillmor-3
On Tue 2019-03-12 08:45:46 -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Bdale Garbee <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> Chris, thank you for your service!  Two terms as DPL is a serious
>> contribution and commitment to Debian, and I greatly appreciate it!
>
> +1.  Thank you so much for everything you've done for Debian over the past
> two years!

Not to pile on, but i wonder whether Lamby's diligence, and his clear
documentation of the workload (via Bits from the DPL at least) hasn't
scared off some prospective candidates, who might now be realizing that
they don't have the bandwidth to handle all of the minutae that Chris
has dealt with over the last two years :)

Thanks, Chris!

        --dkg

Re: Debian Project Leader Elections 2019: Call for nominations

Jonathan Carter (highvoltage)-2

123