Debian Salsa and NMUs

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Debian Salsa and NMUs

Jörg Frings-Fürst-8
Hello,

I have a question about handling NMUs in Salsa.

Are the rules for NMUs disabled there just because a package is in the
Debian namespace?

Thanks


CU
Jörg

--
New:
GPG Fingerprint: 63E0 075F C8D4 3ABB 35AB  30EE 09F8 9F3C 8CA1 D25D
GPG key (long) : 09F89F3C8CA1D25D
GPG Key        : 8CA1D25D
CAcert Key S/N : 0E:D4:56

Old pgp Key: BE581B6E (revoked since 2014-12-31).

Jörg Frings-Fürst
D-54470 Lieser


git:      https://jff.email/cgit/

Threema:  SYR8SJXB
Wire:     @joergfringsfuerst
Skype:    joergpenguin
Ring:     jff
Telegram: @joergfringsfuerst


My wish list:
 - Please send me a picture from the nature at your home.


signature.asc (849 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Debian Salsa and NMUs

Gianfranco Costamagna via nm
Hello,
>I have a question about handling NMUs in Salsa.
>
>Are the rules for NMUs disabled there just because a package is in the
>Debian namespace?

the salsa.d.o/debian is the new "collab-maint" space...
collab-maint has been create for collaborative maintenance of shared packages, so sometimes people (hey, its me!), use that to "team upload" packages,
considering it a global "team" of people.

I never got anybody angry because of this, and I think I'm not the only one doing it...

But in case somebody gets hurt, I think it might be better to
a) move the repo into a less "shared" group
b) ask to avoid team uploads.

There are a few corner cases to the above...

G.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Debian Salsa and NMUs

Ansgar Burchardt-8
On Wed, 2019-08-21 at 14:52 +0000, Gianfranco Costamagna wrote:
> > I have a question about handling NMUs in Salsa.
> >
> > Are the rules for NMUs disabled there just because a package is in
> > the Debian namespace?
>
> the salsa.d.o/debian is the new "collab-maint" space...

So just a space to have a repository without having to create an extra
project as described on [1]?

  [1] https://wiki.debian.org/Alioth/PackagingProject

> collab-maint has been create for collaborative maintenance of shared
> packages, so sometimes people (hey, its me!), use that to "team
> upload" packages,considering it a global "team" of people.

I don't think collab-maint ever used to imply that there all people
using repositories in that project maintain all packages as a "team"?
Each package had its own group; there is no "collab maint team" (as one
can also tell from the "Maintainer" field).

Ansgar

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Debian Salsa and NMUs

Tobias Frost-3
On Wed, Aug 21, 2019 at 05:02:52PM +0200, Ansgar wrote:

> On Wed, 2019-08-21 at 14:52 +0000, Gianfranco Costamagna wrote:
> > > I have a question about handling NMUs in Salsa.
> > >
> > > Are the rules for NMUs disabled there just because a package is in
> > > the Debian namespace?
> >
> > the salsa.d.o/debian is the new "collab-maint" space...
>
> So just a space to have a repository without having to create an extra
> project as described on [1]?
>
>   [1] https://wiki.debian.org/Alioth/PackagingProject
>
> > collab-maint has been create for collaborative maintenance of shared
> > packages, so sometimes people (hey, its me!), use that to "team
> > upload" packages,considering it a global "team" of people.
>
> I don't think collab-maint ever used to imply that there all people
> using repositories in that project maintain all packages as a "team"?
> Each package had its own group; there is no "collab maint team" (as one
> can also tell from the "Maintainer" field).

I learned some time ago the interpretatino of the defintion of
collab-maint on alioth was somehow disputed, but for salsa, the Wiki
says:

"The debian group is for CollaborativeMaintenance (the old collab-maint
on Alioth). The group is accessible to all Debian developers by default,
who are automatically added with Maintainer access levels. Direct
commits to repositories in the Debian group by any Debian developer are
implicitly welcome. No pre-commit coordination (e.g. merge-request or
mail) is expected."

https://wiki.debian.org/Salsa/Doc#Collaborative_Maintenance:_.22Debian.22_group

(And I think this is a good thing to have a real collaborative
namespace)

--
tobi