Debian Stretch broken !

Bernard-9
Hi to Everyone,
Having done some minor resettings on alsamixer with no results, I
thought I had to reboot.

But : "Oh no, something has gone wrong..."

So, I am writing this message from my other laptop running Ubuntu 14.04

I tried to reboot in rescue mode, but I don't know what to do from
there. 'startx' says that it doesn't have the proper files to launch
startx as root.

login
bd

says : wrong login (doesn't even ask a pswd)

I remember a few years back on older versions, I had used 'System Rescue
CD', but this said CD, provided that I find it, would probably no work
on this system

Thanks in advance for your help so that I can expect to boot my system
without loss of data

By the way: not only did I reset alsamixer prior to rebooting, also I
had accepted an automatic system upgrade this morning.

Bernard

Re: Debian Stretch broken !

Default User

On Fri, Apr 3, 2020, 14:41 Bernard <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi, Bernard.

I can't really help you with your specific current problem, but since you mentioned SystemRescueCD, I just wanted to note that a new version, SystemRescueCD 6.1.2, just came out a few days ago, 2020-03-29.

It is easy to write the .iso to a usb  thumb drive and run it from there.

The website, including instructions, is:

Good luck!

Re: Debian Stretch broken !

Kent West

On Fri, Apr 3, 2020 at 1:41 PM Bernard <[hidden email]> wrote:

Having done some minor resettings on alsamixer with no results, I
thought I had to reboot.

But : "Oh no, something has gone wrong..."

So, I am writing this message from my other laptop running Ubuntu 14.04

I tried to reboot in rescue mode, but I don't know what to do from
there. 'startx' says that it doesn't have the proper files to launch
startx as root.

login
bd

says : wrong login (doesn't even ask a pswd)

It's unclear how far you're getting.

Can you boot normally and get to a login prompt on a text-only screen?

Kent

Re: Debian Stretch broken !

Felix Miata-3
Bernard composed on 2020-04-03 20:41 (UTC+0200):

> "Oh no, something has gone wrong..."
That message is issued when GDM cannot start. How to fix I don't know, as I never
use GDM, but when that happens you should be able to switch to any of the vttys
GDM doesn't run on to find a text login prompt. If you can, a fix might be as
simple as:

        apt update
        apt install -f

to finish an upgrade that didn't actually.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/

Re: Debian Stretch broken !

Bernard-9

Le 03/04/2020 21:05, Kent West a écrit :

> On Fri, Apr 3, 2020 at 1:41 PM Bernard <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>

>     Having done some minor resettings on alsamixer with no results, I
>     thought I had to reboot.
>
>     But : "Oh no, something has gone wrong..."
>
>     So, I am writing this message from my other laptop running Ubuntu 14.04
>
>     I tried to reboot in rescue mode, but I don't know what to do from
>     there. 'startx' says that it doesn't have the proper files to launch
>     startx as root.
>
>     login
>     bd
>
>     says : wrong login (doesn't even ask a pswd)
>

> It's unclear how far you're getting.
>
> Can you boot normally and get to a login prompt on a text-only screen?
>
> --
> Kent

Thanks for your reply. To get login prompt and text screen, I had to
take pictures with a camera, since the caracters are so small. Reading
back those images, I will say this :

upon booting, a number of screen messages do appear and scroll down
fast. I could only see that 'OK' was on most or all of them. In the end,
a screen with smaller characters appear for 2-3 sec, that I have
photographied.It has two lines as follows :

/dev/sda1: clean, 408719/60530688 files, 116865639/242103552 blocks
[    8.436046] nouveau 0000:01:00.0: priv: HUB0: 085014 ffffffff (1e70820b)

Those two lines only appear for 2-3 sec, so I had a hard time to
photography them on the screen, and I am just coping them by hand, Links
for photos are as follows :

http://bdebreil.free.fr/IMG_0900.jpg
http://bdebreil.free.fr/IMG_0901.jpg
http://bdebreil.free.fr/IMG_0902.jpg
http://bdebreil.free.fr/IMG_0903.jpg
http://bdebreil.free.fr/IMG_0904.jpg

After those 2-3 sec, another screen appears saying (translated from
French to English)

"Oops, something went wront. A problem has occured and the system cannot
recuperate. Please disconnect and try again"

Countless trials have all lead to the same behaviour.

Now, if I reboot on rescue mode, a lot of fast moving messages do
appear, I only could see that most or all of them bore the mention 'OK',
as said before. In the end, smaller characters do remain on screen,
waiting till I submit the root pasword. Then :

You are in rescue mode. After logging in, type "journalctl -xb" to view
system logs, "systemctlreboot" to reboot, "systemctldefault" or ?D to
boot into default mode

Give the superuser pswd (or press CTRL-D) to continue : [    9.315865]
[TTM] Zone kernel: A

Available graphic memory: 2097152 kiB

[   9.316077 [TTM] Initializing DMA pool allocator
[ nouveau ..... DRM:
etc ...

When typing 'ls -l' home directories do not appear (see pictures)

Next I typed 'journalctl -xb' to view system logs : a dozen of pages
which I will shoot later, one thing I have noticed in it all, printed in
red characters :

EXT4-fs (sda2): unable to read superblock

this repeated three times !

Thanks in advance for your comments and advises.

Bernard

Partition unreadable [was: Re: Debian Stretch broken !]

Andrei POPESCU-2
On Sb, 04 apr 20, 01:13:35, Bernard wrote:

> Next I typed 'journalctl -xb' to view system logs : a dozen of pages which I
> will shoot later, one thing I have noticed in it all, printed in red
> characters :
>
> EXT4-fs (sda2): unable to read superblock
>
> this repeated three times !

This *could* indicate a serious problem and attempts to fix it *could*
make it worse. It could also be a minor issue that is easily fixed.

Do you have an *empty* spare drive to copy your data to? Ideally you
should use 'dd' to take a complete image of sda and work on that
instead.

    dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/<spare drive> bs=1M status=progress

Warning: this will overwrite your data on the spare drive!

For this to work properly the spare drive should be same size (to the
byte!) or bigger than sda.

Before any recovery attempts let's try to find out how your drives are
partitioned.

Please post the output of following commands from the rescue console.

LANG=C lsblk -f
LANG=C fdisk -l

These are read-only commands so should be safe.

Kind regards,
Andrei

Re: Partition unreadable [was: Re: Debian Stretch broken !]

Bernard-9
Thanks a lot for this reply

The output of the proposed tests are shown on the following screen picture :

http://bdebreil.free.fr/IMG_0906.jpg

As for partition sda2 : I don't remember having created this partition
when installing Stretch on this then newly bought desktop (2 years ago).
Isn'it funny that it shows the exact same size as that of the swap
partition sda5 ?

I doubt that I would have willingly created such a small partition...
maybe the install program created it...

Whether it did exist or not in my working system, one thing remains :

     on the rescue mode, I cannot find my /home directory

Waiting for your advice and recommendations,

Bernard

Le 04/04/2020 08:28, Andrei POPESCU a écrit :

> On Sb, 04 apr 20, 01:13:35, Bernard wrote:
>>
>> Next I typed 'journalctl -xb' to view system logs : a dozen of pages which I
>> will shoot later, one thing I have noticed in it all, printed in red
>> characters :
>>
>> EXT4-fs (sda2): unable to read superblock
>>
>> this repeated three times !
>
> This *could* indicate a serious problem and attempts to fix it *could*
> make it worse. It could also be a minor issue that is easily fixed.
>
> Do you have an *empty* spare drive to copy your data to? Ideally you
> should use 'dd' to take a complete image of sda and work on that
> instead.
>
>      dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/<spare drive> bs=1M status=progress
>
> Warning: this will overwrite your data on the spare drive!
>
> For this to work properly the spare drive should be same size (to the
> byte!) or bigger than sda.
>
> Before any recovery attempts let's try to find out how your drives are
> partitioned.
>
> Please post the output of following commands from the rescue console.
>
> LANG=C lsblk -f
> LANG=C fdisk -l
>
> These are read-only commands so should be safe.
>
> Kind regards,
> Andrei

Re: Partition unreadable

Felix Miata-3
Bernard composed on 2020-04-04 11:00 (UTC+0200):

> http://bdebreil.free.fr/IMG_0906.jpg

> As for partition sda2 : I don't remember having created this partition
> when installing Stretch on this then newly bought desktop (2 years ago).
> Isn'it funny that it shows the exact same size as that of the swap
> partition sda5 ?

Rather than a filesystem (or LVM) container, which is what your sda1 and sda5 are,
sda2 is a logical partition container, labeled extended. Creating it as a separate
partitioning step is an anachronism which in practical terms serves no purpose but
to confuse those uninitiated with legacy/MBR partitioning.

> I doubt that I would have willingly created such a small partition...
> maybe the install program created it...
The smarter partitioning programs don't "create it", because it is nothing but an
envelope within which partitions that can contain filesystems may be created.
These smarter ones do create it, but they do so automatically without making any
mention of it, automatically making them the size required to contain the
partitions within that they contain. It occupies a partition table entry that is
nothing but a definition of the size of the container, plus a pointer to the first
partition that it contains. Thus if only one partition is contained, it may
virtually match the size of that which it contains, the difference being the size
allocated to the definition itself.

The gap in numbers is because the MBR partition table only has space for 4
entries. That makes 5 the first available number for a logical partition contained
by the extended "partition" definition. Logical is the name given defined by the
extended's table entry, plus each in the chain of additional entries at the start
of each that is defined beyond that which is labeled #5.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/

On Sb, 04 apr 20, 11:00:06, Bernard wrote:

> Thanks a lot for this reply
>
> The output of the proposed tests are shown on the following screen picture :
>
> http://bdebreil.free.fr/IMG_0906.jpg
>
> As for partition sda2 : I don't remember having created this partition when
> installing Stretch on this then newly bought desktop (2 years ago). Isn'it
> funny that it shows the exact same size as that of the swap partition sda5 ?
>
> I doubt that I would have willingly created such a small partition... maybe
> the install program created it...
Felix Miata already answered to this much better than I could have done.

> Whether it did exist or not in my working system, one thing remains :
>
>     on the rescue mode, I cannot find my /home directory
>
> Waiting for your advice and recommendations,

Please post also the contents of /etc/fstab.

It's curious that fdisk shows sdb has no partition at all. Is this
expected or does sdb contain your /home?

http://bdebreil.free.fr/IMG_0907.jpg

> It's curious that fdisk shows sdb has no partition at all. Is this
> expected or does sdb contain your /home?

There is no mystery about sdb ; I should have mentioned it before. This
is an additional disk ; my desktop has two hard drives. This extra one
had no part in the install process, I only used it later on as an
extension to save files, I mount it manually every time I want to use
it. I didn't see any point to partition it. I successfully mounted it in
my recovery boot, and everything seemed to be OK at first sight.

Regards,

Bernard

Re: Partition unreadable [was: Re: Debian Stretch broken !]

David Christensen
On 2020-04-04 10:57, Bernard wrote:

> Le 04/04/2020 18:16, Andrei POPESCU a écrit :
>> On Sb, 04 apr 20, 11:00:06, Bernard wrote:
>>> Thanks a lot for this reply
>>>
>>> The output of the proposed tests are shown on the following screen
>>> picture :
>>>
>>> http://bdebreil.free.fr/IMG_0906.jpg

>> Please post also the contents of /etc/fstab.
>
> http://bdebreil.free.fr/IMG_0907.jpg
>

>> It's curious that fdisk shows sdb has no partition at all. Is this
>> expected or does sdb contain your /home?
>
> There is no mystery about sdb ; I should have mentioned it before. This
> is an additional disk ; my desktop has two hard drives. This extra one
> had no part in the install process, I only used it later on as an
> extension to save files, I mount it manually every time I want to use
> it. I didn't see any point to partition it. I successfully mounted it in
> my recovery boot, and everything seemed to be OK at first sight.
>
> Regards,
>
> Bernard

To be blunt, if you just want to use video conferencing and not learn
how video conferencing works (or does not work) on Linux, I would use
Windows or macOS.

As for the broken Debian computer, I would back up the data, install a
small SSD, install Debian, wipe the 1 TB drives, create an md mirror,
create an ext4 file system, restore the data, install Samba, and share
the data.

It is useful to have a USB flash drive with Debian installed on it, to
use as tool for working on other computers.

It is useful to maintain a folder in a version control system for each
host, with an administrator journal (plain text file), system
configuration files, and anything else useful for setup, configuration,
and maintenance.  I use Vim and CVS over SSH.

David

Re: Partition unreadable [was: Re: Debian Stretch broken !]

Tom Dial

On 4/4/20 11:57, Bernard wrote:

> Le 04/04/2020 18:16, Andrei POPESCU a écrit :
>> On Sb, 04 apr 20, 11:00:06, Bernard wrote:
>>> Thanks a lot for this reply
>>>
>>> The output of the proposed tests are shown on the following screen
>>> picture :
>>>
>>> http://bdebreil.free.fr/IMG_0906.jpg

>> Please post also the contents of /etc/fstab.
>
> http://bdebreil.free.fr/IMG_0907.jpg
>

>From the various postings it seems somewhat clear that the system, as
such, is not broken. The initial message indicates, I think Felix Miata
noted, that there is a problem with gdm starting (probably) gnome. It
also indicates that the boot completed almost normally (or almost
completed normally).

There is no obvious problem with the disks or partitions. It is unusual
to put a file system on an entire raw disk, as with /dev/sdb, but I do
not know of a reason it would not work, or that one should not do it if
the entire disk is to be used for a single file system.

As for /dev/sda: /sda1 is the partition containing everything, including
/boot and / (the root file system which, in this case contains all files
that are not on /dev/sdb, including /home). There is nothing
fundamentally wrong with this either; I find it increasingly hard to
justify to myself my old custom of putting /boot, /, /usr, /var, /tmp,
and /home on separate partitions. As Felix Miata also noted, sda2 is the
"extended" partition, and sda5 is the swap partition, created during
installation.

By the indications given, both disks are healthy, or considered so by
the Linux kernel.

The message string does not say directly whether you received a login
widget, and then the "Oh, no ..." after trying to log in. That would
indicate that GDM (or the display manager was in use, maybe lightdm)
worked, but gnome could not start.

I have seen a similar problem with gdm/gnome on occasion, but do not
remember the exact problem or its solution. It appeared to have
something to do with corruption in one of the files under
/home/<user>/.gconf. I think my answer might have been to throw away
that directory and let it rebuild as it liked. There are times when I
have little patience with files for which I have trouble finding
detailed documentation and which were created as side effects of
application or subsystem operation. I haven't burned myself yet, but
hesitated to recommend it for others where I have no skin in the game.

Others (almost everyone here) who know more than I about the innards of
the display manager and gnome may provide useful information, but
worrying about the disk looks to me like missing the mark.

>> It's curious that fdisk shows sdb has no partition at all. Is this
>> expected or does sdb contain your /home?
>
> There is no mystery about sdb ; I should have mentioned it before. This
> is an additional disk ; my desktop has two hard drives. This extra one
> had no part in the install process, I only used it later on as an
> extension to save files, I mount it manually every time I want to use
> it. I didn't see any point to partition it. I successfully mounted it in
> my recovery boot, and everything seemed to be OK at first sight.
>
> Regards,
>
> Bernard

Regards,

Tom Dial

Re: Debian Stretch broken !

Andrei POPESCU-2
On Vi, 03 apr 20, 20:41:06, Bernard wrote:
> Hi to Everyone,
> Having done some minor resettings on alsamixer with no results, I thought I
> had to reboot.
>
> But : "Oh no, something has gone wrong..."
>
> So, I am writing this message from my other laptop running Ubuntu 14.04
>
> I tried to reboot in rescue mode, but I don't know what to do from there.

Apparently I missed this on first read, and though you are being dropped
to the rescue console.

> 'startx' says that it doesn't have the proper files to launch startx as
> root.

Starting X as root is not recommended. I would suggest instead you run
(as root):

    apt install xinit
    systemctl set-default multi-user.target

and then boot "normally" (this time in text mode).

Log in with your normal user and try running 'startx' from the console.
In case it stops with some error messages we need those.

To revert to graphical login you must run (as root):

    systemctl set-default graphical.target

Hope this helps,
Andrei

Re: Debian Stretch broken !

Kent West
Things are looking a bit more promising now...

On Fri, Apr 3, 2020 at 6:14 PM Bernard <[hidden email]> wrote:

Le 03/04/2020 21:05, Kent West a écrit :

> On Fri, Apr 3, 2020 at 1:41 PM Bernard <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>

>     Having done some minor resettings on alsamixer with no results, I
>     thought I had to reboot.
>
>     But : "Oh no, something has gone wrong..."
>
>     So, I am writing this message from my other laptop running Ubuntu 14.04
>
>     I tried to reboot in rescue mode, but I don't know what to do from
>     there. 'startx' says that it doesn't have the proper files to launch
>     startx as root.
>
>     login
>     bd
>
>     says : wrong login (doesn't even ask a pswd)
>

> It's unclear how far you're getting.
>
> Can you boot normally and get to a login prompt on a text-only screen?
>
> --
> Kent

Thanks for your reply. To get login prompt and text screen, I had to
take pictures with a camera, since the caracters are so small. Reading
back those images, I will say this :

The pictures help. I see from the second picture that these are from a "rescue boot"; what happens with just a normal boot?

[...]

Try "ls -l /"

Next I typed 'journalctl -xb' to view system logs : a dozen of pages
which I will shoot later, one thing I have noticed in it all, printed in
red characters :

EXT4-fs (sda2): unable to read superblock

this repeated three times !

This looks a bit worrisome, but it may not actually be; it depends on what device is at sda2 (it might be a second (unformatted, unused) hard drive, or a USB thumb drive, or a CD/DVD drive, or ...). Without more context, it's hard to say much at this point. I'd hold off on worrying about it just yet. As mentioned above, I'm mostly interesting in knowing what happens when you do a normal boot.

Thanks in advance for your comments and advises.

Bernard

Kent West                    <")))><

Re: Debian Stretch broken !

Kent West

On Sun, Apr 5, 2020 at 9:23 AM Kent West <[hidden email]> wrote:

Next I typed 'journalctl -xb' to view system logs : a dozen of pages
which I will shoot later, one thing I have noticed in it all, printed in
red characters :

EXT4-fs (sda2): unable to read superblock

this repeated three times !

This looks a bit worrisome, but it may not actually be; it depends on what device is at sda2 (it might be a second (unformatted, unused) hard drive, or a USB thumb drive, or a CD/DVD drive, or ...).

No it can't be; I wasn't thinking straight. This is a second partition, not a second drive.

This is almost certainly your problem. The next question is if it's a hardware, formatting, or mounting problem. I'd run "cfdisk" and see what that shows me.

Kent West                    <")))><

Re: Debian Stretch broken !

Kent West

On Sun, Apr 5, 2020 at 9:28 AM Kent West <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Sun, Apr 5, 2020 at 9:23 AM Kent West <[hidden email]> wrote:

Next I typed 'journalctl -xb' to view system logs : a dozen of pages
which I will shoot later, one thing I have noticed in it all, printed in
red characters :

EXT4-fs (sda2): unable to read superblock

this repeated three times !

This looks a bit worrisome, but it may not actually be; it depends on what device is at sda2 (it might be a second (unformatted, unused) hard drive, or a USB thumb drive, or a CD/DVD drive, or ...).

No it can't be; I wasn't thinking straight. This is a second partition, not a second drive.

This is almost certainly your problem. The next question is if it's a hardware, formatting, or mounting problem. I'd run "cfdisk" and see what that shows me.

No, again, I think I've been mistaken. Seeing a different thread dealing with this same problem, I realize that /dev/sda2 is likely the "container" for extended partitions; trying to mount it would likely result in an error; so I'm back to thinking I'd put my worry about this error message aside for now, and see what "cfdisk" or some equivalent, like "fdisk -l /dev/sda", says.

Kent West                    <")))><

Re: Debian Stretch broken !

Bernard-9

Le 05/04/2020 08:24, Andrei POPESCU a écrit :
> On Vi, 03 apr 20, 20:41:06, Bernard wrote:
>> Hi to Everyone,
>> Having done some minor resettings on alsamixer with no results, I thought I
>> had to reboot.
>>
>> But : "Oh no, something has gone wrong..."

> Apparently I missed this on first read, and though you are being dropped
> to the rescue console.
>

> Starting X as root is not recommended. I would suggest instead you run
> (as root):
>
>      apt install xinit
>      systemctl set-default multi-user.target
>
> and then boot "normally" (this time in text mode).
>
> Log in with your normal user and try running 'startx' from the console.
> In case it stops with some error messages we need those.

The on screen results of such trials have been photographied and are
available at the urls below :

http://bdebreil.free.fr/IMG_0923.jpg

http://bdebreil.free.fr/IMG_0925.jpg

http://bdebreil.free.fr/IMG_0926.jpg

This includes the results of the 'startx' trials.

Doing this, I have been able to login as user, which confirms that
'/home/user' was still available. A random check confirmed that most or
  likely all files were still there on /home/bd

a 'df' test still didn't show any

'/dev/sda2'

  partition, but, as mentioned before, I doubt if there was any such
partition before ; in my other computers I have none, if I except the
more than ten years old systems. Nice to understand that, without such
partition, the /home/bd is available

I have been able to access

/var/log/messages

  and other similar files, and to copy them onto an USB External Hard
drive. These hold tens of thousands of lines, and I don't know which
keywords to search for, but these said files are available upon request,
or I can search them if someone suggests keywords.

> To revert to graphical login you must run (as root):
>
>      systemctl set-default graphical.target

Best regards,

Bernard

Re: Debian Stretch broken !

Kent West

On Sun, Apr 5, 2020 at 4:36 PM Bernard <[hidden email]> wrote:

Le 05/04/2020 08:24, Andrei POPESCU a écrit :
> On Vi, 03 apr 20, 20:41:06, Bernard wrote:

>> But : "Oh no, something has gone wrong..."

> and then boot "normally" (this time in text mode).
>
> Log in with your normal user and try running 'startx' from the console.
> In case it stops with some error messages we need those.

The on screen results of such trials have been photographied and are
available at the urls below :

http://bdebreil.free.fr/IMG_0925.jpg

http://bdebreil.free.fr/IMG_0926.jpg

You can log in as a normal user! Excellent!

Can you ping something by address? by name?

e.g.
ping 8.8.8.8

(Just trying to see how "normal" your system is.)

Maybe even install links2 and see if you can web-browse from the terminal.
$ sudo aptitude install links2
$ links2 slashdot.org
'q' to quit

Maybe install a simpler X system, like XFCE:

$ sudo tasksel

then try "startx'.

Any success? Any new errors/symptoms/insights?

Kent

Re: Debian Stretch broken !

Felix Miata-3
Bernard composed on 2020-04-04 01:13 (UTC+0200):

> http://bdebreil.free.fr/IMG_0901.jpg
[quote]
You are in rescue mode. After logging in, type "journalctl -xb" to view
system logs[/quote]

Did you do this? It should provide clues what needs to be done and/or what is
going wrong. If journalctl -xb produces more than one screenful, it's the last
screen or two or three that would be most important.

Please report what video card you have by doing this:

        lspci -nnk | grep -iA4 VGA

The important part of the output fills in these four blanks:

        [10DE:____]

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/

Re: Debian Stretch broken !

Andrei POPESCU-2
On Du, 05 apr 20, 23:35:45, Bernard wrote:

> Le 05/04/2020 08:24, Andrei POPESCU a écrit :
> >
> > Log in with your normal user and try running 'startx' from the console.
> > In case it stops with some error messages we need those.
>
> The on screen results of such trials have been photographied and are
> available at the urls below :
>
> http://bdebreil.free.fr/IMG_0923.jpg
>
> http://bdebreil.free.fr/IMG_0925.jpg
>
> http://bdebreil.free.fr/IMG_0926.jpg
>
> This includes the results of the 'startx' trials.
Please attach the file /home/bd/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.0.log. It should
be small enough to be accepted by the list.

Kind regards,
Andrei