Debian Unstable, and Thinkpad X31 with Radeon Mobility

Debian Unstable, and Thinkpad X31 with Radeon Mobility

Zoont Foomby
Hi all,

I've been running Debian unstable on my Thinkpad X31 laptop for almost two years. In general it works great.

I use the Radeon mobility card in it to provide a dual-head setup when I am at my desk. This has been working fine, until today.

I couldn't leave good enough alone, and did an update to the xserver-xorg package, and related packages. I hadn't updated in a couple of months.

After this update, when Xorg starts, it will not display any image on my laptop's LCD panel if the external monitor is plugged in. I did not change anything in my hardware setup, so this is purely a software issue - since it worked great before.

I checked my xorg.conf file, and it is exactly the same as it was before - it did not get updated .. so my configuration is the same as well. Anyway, I had backups, so I wasn't in danger of losing the conf files.

If my hardware is the same, and the configuration file is the same, then I am lead to believe that the software update has introduced a bug.

When I start xorg and look at the log, it shows the following interesting piece of info:

(II) Primary Device is: PCI 01:00:0
(--) Chipset ATI Radeon Mobility M6 LY (AGP) found
(--) Chipset ATI Radeon Mobility M6 LY (AGP) found
[...]
(II) RADEON(0): LVDS port is not in connector table, added in.
(II) RADEON(0): Connector0: DDCType-0, DACType-1, TMDSType--1, ConnectorType-1
(II) RADEON(0): Connector1: DDCType-3, DACType-0, TMDSType--1, ConnectorType-2
(II) RADEON(0): I2C device "DDC:ddc2" registered at address 0xA0.
(II) RADEON(0): I2C device "DDC:ddc2" removed.
(II) RADEON(0): DDC Type: 3, Detected Type: 1
(II) RADEON(0): EDID data from the display on port 1 ----------------------
(II) RADEON(0): Manufacturer: NEC  Model: 65d2  Serial#: 16843009
[...]
(II) RADEON(0): Primary:
 Monitor   -- CRT
 Connector -- VGA
 DAC Type  -- Primary
 TMDS Type -- NONE
 DDC Type  -- VGA_DDC
(II) RADEON(0): Secondary:
 Monitor   -- NONE
 Connector -- Proprietary
 DAC Type  -- TVDAC/ExtDAC
 TMDS Type -- NONE
 DDC Type  -- NONE
(II) RADEON(0): PLL parameters: rf=2700 rd=60 min=12000 max=35000; xclk=14400
(WW) RADEON(0): Failed to detect secondary monitor, MergedFB/Clone mode disabled

Which makes no real sense. Both monitors are attached - and this exact same hardware setup worked fine before - i.e. both screens were detected. All I did was an 'upgrade' in aptitude and then reboot.

I could post the entire log, but I'm not sure that will help.

What seems to be happening is that the external monitor is being treated as the primary monitor unless the software has no other choice but to use the built in LCD panel. In the middle chunk of log above, we can see that it says 'EDID data from the display on port 1 ... Manufacturer: NEC ...' which is referring to my external monitor (NEC Multisync LCD). But there is never another 'EDID data from the display on port 2' .. or port 0 for that matter.

I've confirmed that while the default 'Monitor' section in my xorg.conf file should only be used for the internal LCD panel, it gets used by the external monitor. I know this because if I change the frequences to a slightly higher freq. then, when my external monitor is not connected, my laptop LCD panel works fine, but when I then plugin the external monitor and try to start X again, X dies saying the frequencies don't work with the screen.

SOOO...

1) Is there any way to revert to the previous software version easily? I don't know exactly what number I was at, so  would need a way to step back through various versions... The current version of the package 'xserver-xorg' is ' 6.9.0.dfsg'

2) Is this a problem with Debian, or should I be whining to the Xorg people... or the Xorg Debian people... or all of them?

Thanks for any guidance.
--
Its been so long,
and the groove in my heart is nearly gone,
but I'm landing on my feet. - JK
www.falderal.net

Re: Debian Unstable, and Thinkpad X31 with Radeon Mobility

Florian Kulzer
Zoont Foomby wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've been running Debian unstable on my Thinkpad X31 laptop for almost two
> years. In general it works great.
>
> I use the Radeon mobility card in it to provide a dual-head setup when I am
> at my desk. This has been working fine, until today.
>
> I couldn't leave good enough alone, and did an update to the xserver-xorg
> package, and related packages. I hadn't updated in a couple of months.
>
> After this update, when Xorg starts, it will not display any image on my
> laptop's LCD panel if the external monitor is plugged in. I did not change
> anything in my hardware setup, so this is purely a software issue - since it
> worked great before.
>
> I checked my xorg.conf file, and it is exactly the same as it was before -
> it did not get updated .. so my configuration is the same as well. Anyway, I
> had backups, so I wasn't in danger of losing the conf files.
>
> If my hardware is the same, and the configuration file is the same, then I
> am lead to believe that the software update has introduced a bug.

[...]

> 1) Is there any way to revert to the previous software version easily? I
> don't know exactly what number I was at, so  would need a way to step back
> through various versions... The current version of the package
> 'xserver-xorg' is '6.9.0.dfsg'

I do not use ATI cards myself, but from following this list I got the
impression that a number of people have problems with ATI cards and Xorg
6.9. You could try to go back to version 6.8, either by looking in your
/var/cache/apt/archives for the last 6.8 package you have there, or by
going to snapshot.debian.net. I don't know how easy it will be to
downgrade Xorg consistently since downgrades are not really supported by
the Debian package management system.

Another thing to try might be to replace only the radeon driver with its
older version. (If that is the driver you are using.) You could find the
last xserver-xorg_6.8 package in /var/cache/apt/archives and use
dpkg-deb to extract its contents to some temporary directory. Then you
could replace /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/radeon_drv.so with the file
from Xorg 6.8. I am not too optimistic about this, though, since I would
expect that Xorg has some sort of version checking implemented.
Therefore, if you decide to try this, make sure that you keep a backup
copy of the 6.9 driver around to restore it if necessary.

Maybe an ATI user on this list knows how to reactivate your dual display
without reverting to Xorg 6.8. That would of course be the best solution.

Regards,
           Florian

Re: Debian Unstable, and Thinkpad X31 with Radeon Mobility

Bill Wohler
Florian Kulzer <[hidden email]> writes:

> Zoont Foomby wrote:
>> After this update, when Xorg starts, it will not display any image
>> on my laptop's LCD panel if the external monitor is plugged in.

> I do not use ATI cards myself, but from following this list I got the
> impression that a number of people have problems with ATI cards and Xorg
> 6.9. You could try to go back to version 6.8, either by looking in your
> /var/cache/apt/archives for the last 6.8 package you have there, or by
> going to snapshot.debian.net.

Before you downgrade, can you try 7.0.7 from experimental? I heard
that there was a fix in 7.0.3 which fixed the ATI problems but haven't
gotten confirmation.

--
Bill Wohler <[hidden email]>  http://www.newt.com/wohler/  GnuPG ID:610BD9AD

Re: Debian Unstable, and Thinkpad X31 with Radeon Mobility

Charles Muller-2
Zoont Foomby wrote:

> 2) Is this a problem with Debian, or should I be whining to the Xorg
> people... or the Xorg Debian people... or all of them?

The problems with Radeon and Xorg on Debian just keep appearing
repeatedly on this list. In the past, I received a ton of kind advice,
but virtually nothing worked, so I had to go back to Sarge on my
Mebius. BTW, it is instructive to note that Knoppix 4.0 still does not
make the move to Xorg, keeping XFree86 instead.

Regards,

Chuck

---------------------------
Charles Muller

Toyo Gakuen University
Faculty of Humanities
1660 Hiregasaki, Nagareyama-shi
Chiba 270-0161 JAPAN
Mobile Phone: 090-9310-1787

http://www.acmuller.net

<acmuller[at]jj.em-net.ne.jp>

Re: Debian Unstable, and Thinkpad X31 with Radeon Mobility

j (Bugzilla)-5

On Friday 31 March 2006 21:23, Zoont Foomby wrote:
> I've been running Debian unstable on my Thinkpad X31 laptop for almost two
> years. In general it works great.

I've an X31 too and I'm using xserver-xorg (6.9.0.dfsg.1-4) successfully with
mergedfb.

> > (II) Primary Device is: PCI 01:00:0
>
> > (--) Chipset ATI Radeon Mobility M6 LY (AGP) found
> > (--) Chipset ATI Radeon Mobility M6 LY (AGP) found

The same in my  log:
> > (II) RADEON(0): LVDS port is not in connector table, added in.
> > (II) RADEON(0): Connector0: DDCType-0, DACType-1, TMDSType--1,
> > ConnectorType-1
> > (II) RADEON(0): Connector1: DDCType-3, DACType-0, TMDSType--1,
> > ConnectorType-2

Here I found the log message:
> (**) RADEON(0): MonitorLayout Option:
>        Monitor1--Type LVDS, Monitor2--Type CRT

The same in my  log:
> > (II) RADEON(0): I2C device "DDC:ddc2" registered at address 0xA0.
> > (II) RADEON(0): I2C device "DDC:ddc2" removed.
> > (II) RADEON(0): DDC Type: 3, Detected Type: 1
> > (II) RADEON(0): EDID data from the display on port 1
> > (II) RADEON(0): Manufacturer: NEC  Model: 65d2  Serial#: 16843009

Here it differs:
> (II) RADEON(0): EDID data from the display on port 2-----------------------
> (II) RADEON(0): Manufacturer: HSL  Model: 774  Serial#: 1747

> > (II) RADEON(0): Primary:
> >  Monitor   -- CRT
> >  Connector -- VGA
> >  DAC Type  -- Primary
> >  TMDS Type -- NONE
> >  DDC Type  -- VGA_DDC
> > (II) RADEON(0): Secondary:
> >  Monitor   -- NONE
> >  Connector -- Proprietary
> >  DAC Type  -- TVDAC/ExtDAC
> >  TMDS Type -- NONE
> >  DDC Type  -- NONE
> > (II) RADEON(0): PLL parameters: rf=2700 rd=60 min=12000 max=35000;
> > xclk=14400
> > (WW) RADEON(0): Failed to detect secondary monitor, MergedFB/Clone mode
> > disabled

and

> (II) RADEON(0): Primary:
>  Monitor   -- LVDS
>  Connector -- DVI-I
>  DAC Type  -- TVDAC/ExtDAC
>  TMDS Type -- NONE
>  DDC Type  -- NONE
> (II) RADEON(0): Secondary:
>  Monitor   -- CRT
>  Connector -- VGA
>  DAC Type  -- Primary
>  TMDS Type -- NONE
>  DDC Type  -- VGA_DDC
> (II) RADEON(0): PLL parameters: rf=2700 rd=60 min=12000 max=35000;
> xclk=14400 (II) RADEON(0): MergedFB mode forced on.

The reason, why it works for me is maybe the slightly different model (NEC65d2
vs. HSL774) or we have different x.org configurations. Maybe you could sent
your config file, so I can compare it with mine.

Johannes

Re: Debian Unstable, and Thinkpad X31 with Radeon Mobility

Zoont Foomby
Well, I had to get back to work and couldn't spend any time trying to get Xorg 7.0.7 working (which it did not .. that is I still had only one screen working), so I backed all the way back to XFree86 on Sarge. As soon as I finished my Aptitude session, I killed and restarted X, and bingo, two screens again. My config files never changed for XFree86 either (I did not remove them after going to Xorg in SID).

I'll play with Xorg some more later. I'll go through the upgrade process and note at which version number my dual display setup stops working right.

I have a *feeling* that Xorg 6.9.0.dfsg.1-4 works, and that 6.9.0.dfsg.1-5 does not. I say this because I was running a relatively recent Xorg install which did work (it was only a couple months old)... and when I did that last upgrade that killed my dual screen setup, the version number I had ended up at was 6.9.0.dfsg.1-5. When downgrading, it looked like I could choose xxxx.1-4 or 1-5...

Anyway, thanks for the insight folks!

On 4/1/06, Johannes Wolter <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

On Friday 31 March 2006 21:23, Zoont Foomby wrote:
> I've been running Debian unstable on my Thinkpad X31 laptop for almost two
> years. In general it works great.

I've an X31 too and I'm using xserver-xorg (6.9.0.dfsg.1-4) successfully with
mergedfb.

> > (II) Primary Device is: PCI 01:00:0
>
> > (--) Chipset ATI Radeon Mobility M6 LY (AGP) found
> > (--) Chipset ATI Radeon Mobility M6 LY (AGP) found

The same in my  log:
> > (II) RADEON(0): LVDS port is not in connector table, added in.
> > (II) RADEON(0): Connector0: DDCType-0, DACType-1, TMDSType--1,
> > ConnectorType-1
> > (II) RADEON(0): Connector1: DDCType-3, DACType-0, TMDSType--1,
> > ConnectorType-2

Here I found the log message:
> (**) RADEON(0): MonitorLayout Option:
>        Monitor1--Type LVDS, Monitor2--Type CRT

The same in my  log:
> > (II) RADEON(0): I2C device "DDC:ddc2" registered at address 0xA0.
> > (II) RADEON(0): I2C device "DDC:ddc2" removed.
> > (II) RADEON(0): DDC Type: 3, Detected Type: 1
> > (II) RADEON(0): EDID data from the display on port 1
> > (II) RADEON(0): Manufacturer: NEC  Model: 65d2  Serial#: 16843009

Here it differs:
> (II) RADEON(0): EDID data from the display on port 2-----------------------
> (II) RADEON(0): Manufacturer: HSL  Model: 774  Serial#: 1747

> > (II) RADEON(0): Primary:
> >  Monitor   -- CRT

> >  Connector -- VGA
> >  DAC Type  -- Primary
> >  TMDS Type -- NONE
> >  DDC Type  -- VGA_DDC
> > (II) RADEON(0): Secondary:
> >  Monitor   -- NONE
> >  Connector -- Proprietary
> >  DAC Type  -- TVDAC/ExtDAC
> >  TMDS Type -- NONE
> >  DDC Type  -- NONE
> > (II) RADEON(0): PLL parameters: rf=2700 rd=60 min=12000 max=35000;
> > xclk=14400
> > (WW) RADEON(0): Failed to detect secondary monitor, MergedFB/Clone mode
> > disabled

and

> (II) RADEON(0): Primary:
>  Monitor   -- LVDS
>  Connector -- DVI-I
>  DAC Type  -- TVDAC/ExtDAC
>  TMDS Type -- NONE
>  DDC Type  -- NONE
> (II) RADEON(0): Secondary:
>  Monitor   -- CRT
>  Connector -- VGA
>  DAC Type  -- Primary
>  TMDS Type -- NONE
>  DDC Type  -- VGA_DDC
> (II) RADEON(0): PLL parameters: rf=2700 rd=60 min=12000 max=35000;
> xclk=14400 (II) RADEON(0): MergedFB mode forced on.

The reason, why it works for me is maybe the slightly different model (NEC65d2
vs. HSL774) or we have different x.org configurations. Maybe you could sent
your config file, so I can compare it with mine.

Johannes

Its been so long,
and the groove in my heart is nearly gone,
Oh my head's in the clouds,
but I'm landing on my feet. - JK
www.falderal.net

Re: Debian Unstable, and Thinkpad X31 with Radeon Mobility

Vlastimil Pavicek

> I've been running Debian unstable on my Thinkpad X31 laptop for almost two
> years. In general it works great.

Hi

For me ATI works with 'proprietal' drivers under xorg. I have got ATI Mobility
Radeon 9000. At the time I upgraded xorg I run into similar problems, but solved
them by using ATI 'proprietal' drivers.

I remember that for xorg drivers there was an option to specify what type of device is connected
where (lcd/crt), but I forgot the name.

If it can be of any use for you you can get my xorg.conf at
http://www.volny.cz/jeword/xorg.conf. It is a bit copmplicated because of two
different layouts. I use one at home with a second monitor and the second for
just a laptop LCD screen.

HAllellujAH
VLP