Debian booth at FOSDEM -- much more help needed

Debian booth at FOSDEM -- much more help needed

Wouter Verhelst
Hi,

Despite my previous two requests, so far only 5 people have offered to
help manning the booth at the upcoming FOSDEM. That's really not enough;
I need 14 people at least (5 for saturday, 9 for sunday), so I'm going
to have to insist a bit, I'm afraid.

It's not hard to man the booth; all that's needed is that you know a bit
about Debian, and that you don't mind staying at the booth during your
designated hour. You're obviously welcome to stay there longer if you
want -- in fact, I fully expect you won't be alone during most of the
time -- but when you're listed on the schedule, you have final
responsability over the equipment, money, and other stuff that is at the
booth.

If you haven't signed up for manning the booth so far because you don't
want to miss a certain event, or because you're arriving late or leaving
early, or some other reason, then feel free to let me know what times
will work for you, and I'll make sure to consider that when I make up
the schedule.

Finally, more ideas things we could show off or otherwise do at the
booth will be welcome, too.

  -- #debian-devel, Freenode, 2004-09-22

Re: Debian booth at FOSDEM -- much more help needed

Geert Stappers

Television needed for a PS3

Xavier Oswald

As Sven Luther do not send mails on debian list. I will send this one for him.
Sven will bring with him a new PS3 (Playstation 3). So if DD would like to see
how this nice box his working, it would be nice if someone could bring a
television because the PS3 doesn't have a standard graphic card.

A small one should do the deal.

Thanks!

friendly,
--
  ,''`.  Xavier Oswald <[hidden email]>
 : :' :  GNU/LINUX Debian & Debian-Edu

Re: Television needed for a PS3

Geert Stappers

> As Sven Luther do not send mails on debian list.

I just saw http://lists.debian.org/debian-events-eu/2007/02/msg00035.html

No further comment
Geert Stappers

Re: Television needed for a PS3

Aurélien GÉRÔME
Hi Geert,

On Wed, Feb 21, 2007 at 11:30:14PM +0100, Geert Stappers wrote:
> > As Sven Luther do not send mails on debian list.
>
> I just saw http://lists.debian.org/debian-events-eu/2007/02/msg00035.html

And what would be your point? I only see a post offering help with
hardware. I hope you do not imply by fingerpointing that help is
unwelcome.

 .''`.   Aurélien GÉRÔME
: :'  :
`. `'`   Free Software Developer
  `-     Unix Sys & Net Admin

Op 22-02-2007 om 00:27 schreef Aurélien GÉRÔME:
> Hi Geert,

Hello People who have time for this,

> On Wed, Feb 21, 2007 at 11:30:14PM +0100, Geert Stappers wrote:
> > > As Sven Luther do not send mails on debian list.
> >
> > I just saw http://lists.debian.org/debian-events-eu/2007/02/msg00035.html
>
> And what would be your point? I only see a post offering help with
> hardware. I hope you do not imply by fingerpointing that help is
> unwelcome.

There was indeed emotion in my response.
And it is still in this message.

Sven Luther did choose himself to not post two months on Debian mailinglist.
As Debian is about freedom, he is free to do such stupid things.

That his choice does harm the Debian project does make me angry.

This E-mail thread should be about a television for a Playstation 3
during FOSDEM. With content like which kind of cable is needed, SCART or
Antena.

But the E-mail thread started with
 "Sven Luther does not send to Debian lists"

The tone for the music was there. I could have let it go, I choose to
make the obseveration that Sven Luther _does_ post on Debian mailinglist.

Back to the original question:
> And what would be your point?

The obvious thing of a decision.
Sven decided for himself to not post on Debian mailinglists.
His choice, his problem.

Back to original intend of the start of this thread:

| The Sony Playstation three, PS3 for short, is a game console.
| It does have a PowerPC processor and runs Linux.
|
| Sven Luther will bring one to FOSDEM and he asks if he can
| borrow/loan a television for demonstrating it.

And then we have the thing that does make me angry:

Who to contact for furhter information?

Sven Luther is the one who knows about the video cables. He is also the
one that does (choose to) NOT communicate through mailinglists.

His choice be came our problem.

Geert Stappers

On 12:10 Thu 22 Feb     , Geert Stappers wrote:

> Op 22-02-2007 om 00:27 schreef Aurélien GÉRÔME:
> > Hi Geert,

> > > I just saw http://lists.debian.org/debian-events-eu/2007/02/msg00035.html
> >
> > And what would be your point? I only see a post offering help with
> > hardware. I hope you do not imply by fingerpointing that help is
> > unwelcome.
>
> There was indeed emotion in my response.
> And it is still in this message.
>
> Sven Luther did choose himself to not post two months on Debian mailinglist.
> As Debian is about freedom, he is free to do such stupid things.
>
> That his choice does harm the Debian project does make me angry.
>
> This E-mail thread should be about a television for a Playstation 3
> during FOSDEM. With content like which kind of cable is needed, SCART or
> Antena.
>
> But the E-mail thread started with
>  "Sven Luther does not send to Debian lists"
>
> The tone for the music was there. I could have let it go, I choose to
> make the obseveration that Sven Luther _does_ post on Debian mailinglist.

I think we should stop this flamewar.

It was a mistake from Sven as he wanted to do a simple reply to one person and
he has not see that this list was in cc.

More comments on this thread are unwelcome and not the topic of this list.

I will be the contact between Sven and the list if there are others questions..

friendly,
--
  ,''`.  Xavier Oswald <[hidden email]>
 : :' :  GNU/LINUX Debian & Debian-Edu
 `. `'   GnuPG Key ID 0x88BBB51E
   `-    938D D715 6915 8860 9679  4A0C A430 C6AA 88BB B51E

Re: Television cable needed for a PS3

Geert Stappers

> ... if there are others questions..

What kind of signal goes between the PS3 and the television?

What connector is at the PS3, what connector should the television have?

Which cable  is needed?

Cheers
Geert Stappers

On 14:39 Thu 22 Feb     , Geert Stappers wrote:

> > ... if there are others questions..
> >

> What kind of signal goes between the PS3 and the television?
>
> What connector is at the PS3, what connector should the television have?
>
> Which cable  is needed?

Did you not get a private email from Sven, if yes, you can reply what he said here
so we will know the needed things for the PS3.

  ,''`.  Xavier Oswald <[hidden email]>
 : :' :  GNU/LINUX Debian & Debian-Edu
 `. `'   GnuPG Key ID 0x88BBB51E
   `-    938D D715 6915 8860 9679  4A0C A430 C6AA 88BB B51E

Re: Television cable needed for a PS3

Sven Luther
On Thu, Feb 22, 2007 at 05:45:53PM +0100, Xavier Oswald wrote:

> On 14:39 Thu 22 Feb     , Geert Stappers wrote:
> > >
> > > ... if there are others questions..
> > >

> > What kind of signal goes between the PS3 and the television?
> >
> > What connector is at the PS3, what connector should the television have?
> >
> > Which cable  is needed?
>
> Did you not get a private email from Sven, if yes, you can reply what he said here
> so we will know the needed things for the PS3.

Ok, guys, this is getting childish, so i will now (willingly) post, since
fosdem is in two days, and we have only tomorrow to prepare for this.

The PS3 has two outputs i have cables for, either an HDMI cable, which is the
prefered solution, but it will probably be difficult (if nice) to get a flat
panel LCD TV with HDMI cable for the booth, and a standard 3-cable set (one
red/white pair for the sound, and one yellow for the video). It is this second
kind of cabling which i believe will be most easy to use, altough i don't know
the name for it, but i guess that coaxial antena cable or something such fits
best.

I have installed the PS3 this afternoon, and altough i was not able to get a
good resolution on my TV, everything seems to work nicely.

Friendly,

Sven Luther

Re: Television cable needed for a PS3

Lionel Elie Mamane-2
On Thu, Feb 22, 2007 at 09:14:47PM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:

> The PS3 has two outputs i have cables for, (...) and a standard
> 3-cable set (one red/white pair for the sound, and one yellow for
> the video). (...) altough i don't know the name for it, but i guess
> that coaxial antena cable or something such fits best.

The connectors themselves are called RCA plug or phono plug or
CINCH/AV connector. The signal running over them is called "composite
video and stereo audio". See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RCA_connector .

What I would understand by "coaxial antenna cable" would be one with
a Belling-Lee / IEC 169-2 connector
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_169-2) or an F connector
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F_connector).

--
Lionel

On Fri, Feb 23, 2007 at 08:03:28AM +0100, Lionel Elie Mamane wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 22, 2007 at 09:14:47PM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
>
> > The PS3 has two outputs i have cables for, (...) and a standard
> > 3-cable set (one red/white pair for the sound, and one yellow for
> > the video). (...) altough i don't know the name for it, but i guess
> > that coaxial antena cable or something such fits best.
>
> The connectors themselves are called RCA plug or phono plug or
> CINCH/AV connector. The signal running over them is called "composite
> video and stereo audio". See
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RCA_connector .
>
> What I would understand by "coaxial antenna cable" would be one with
> a Belling-Lee / IEC 169-2 connector
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_169-2) or an F connector
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F_connector).

Hehe, which is why i described them as "red/white+yellow connectors", which i
guess is unambigous, but Geert replied he didn't know about this (in private).

So, what is the status on this one ? My wife will kill me if i bring my TV,
but if we can't find one in Bruxelles, i may try to arrange for something.

/me wonders if there are HDMI projectors which could be used for this purpose.

Friendly,

Sven Luther

On Fri, Feb 23, 2007 at 09:16:17AM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 23, 2007 at 08:03:28AM +0100, Lionel Elie Mamane wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb 22, 2007 at 09:14:47PM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> >
> > > The PS3 has two outputs i have cables for, (...) and a standard
> > > 3-cable set (one red/white pair for the sound, and one yellow for
> > > the video). (...) altough i don't know the name for it, but i guess
> > > that coaxial antena cable or something such fits best.
> >
> > The connectors themselves are called RCA plug or phono plug or
> > CINCH/AV connector. The signal running over them is called "composite
> > video and stereo audio". See
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RCA_connector .
> >
> > What I would understand by "coaxial antenna cable" would be one with
> > a Belling-Lee / IEC 169-2 connector
> > (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_169-2) or an F connector
> > (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F_connector).
>
> Hehe, which is why i described them as "red/white+yellow connectors", which i
> guess is unambigous, but Geert replied he didn't know about this (in private).

Hehe, he didn't know about it, because i wrote :

  Well, the connectors i have are of two kind, either an HDMI connector, or a
  3 color thingy (red/blue/yellow), which i guess is of the antena kind.

which should have been red/white/yellow, obviously.

So much for this stupid ban thingy, i should never have agreed to it in the
first place, as it doesn't help to get communication happening.

Friendly,

Sven Luther

Re: Television cable needed for a PS3

Kurt Roeckx
Hi,

The subject seems to be confusing.  It's not a cable he's looking for,
but the television.

What he has:
- A PS3
- 2 types of cables:
  - an HDMI cable
  - red/white/yellow composite video cable with RCA plug

What he needs is something to show the picture, like:
- A television
- A monitor that has an HDMI input
- ...

Kurt