Debian booting into initramfs shell

Thomas Schweikle-2
Hi!

Since latest upgrades debian boots into initramfs shell:

Gave up Waiting for suspend/resum device
Gave up waiting for root file system device. Gommon problems:

ALERT! UUID=c92b... does not exist.
Dropping to a shell!

Looking at devices, none exist: /dev/sda* are all missing.
Looking at loaded drivers/modules: all required are loaded.

Booting into rescue mode with the very same kernel/initrd works:
devices are there, modules are loaded, file systems are accessible.

Any idea how to solve this problem, when none of the kernels available
boots into multiuser? And only the rescue system is working?

Thomas

Re: Debian booting into initramfs shell

songbird
Thomas Schweikle wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Since latest upgrades debian boots into initramfs shell:
>
> Gave up Waiting for suspend/resum device
> Gave up waiting for root file system device. Gommon problems:
>
> ALERT! UUID=c92b... does not exist.
> Dropping to a shell!
>
> Looking at devices, none exist: /dev/sda* are all missing.
> Looking at loaded drivers/modules: all required are loaded.
>
> Booting into rescue mode with the very same kernel/initrd works:
> devices are there, modules are loaded, file systems are accessible.
>
> Any idea how to solve this problem, when none of the kernels available
> boots into multiuser? And only the rescue system is working?

  Debian stable, testing or unstable or ?
and what hardware setup?

  songbird

Re: Debian booting into initramfs shell

Stefan Krusche-2
Am Mittwoch, 9. Januar 2019 schrieb Thomas Schweikle:

> Hi!
>
> Since latest upgrades debian boots into initramfs shell:
>
> Gave up Waiting for suspend/resum device
> Gave up waiting for root file system device. Gommon problems:
>
> ALERT! UUID=c92b... does not exist.
> Dropping to a shell!

Have you checked your grub configuration for "UUID=c92b..." ?

Kind regards,
Stefan

On 09.01.2019 15:20, Stefan Krusche wrote:

> Am Mittwoch, 9. Januar 2019 schrieb Thomas Schweikle:
>> Hi!
>>
>> Since latest upgrades debian boots into initramfs shell:
>>
>> Gave up Waiting for suspend/resum device
>> Gave up waiting for root file system device. Gommon problems:
>>
>> ALERT! UUID=c92b... does not exist.
>> Dropping to a shell!
>
> Have you checked your grub configuration for "UUID=c92b..." ?

Did you read my post? /dev/sd* are missing, but modules are loaded!

Looks like /dev/sd* entries are not created.

Thomas

On 09.01.2019 14:00, songbird wrote:

> Thomas Schweikle wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> Since latest upgrades debian boots into initramfs shell:
>>
>> Gave up Waiting for suspend/resum device
>> Gave up waiting for root file system device. Gommon problems:
>>
>> ALERT! UUID=c92b... does not exist.
>> Dropping to a shell!
>>
>> Looking at devices, none exist: /dev/sda* are all missing.
>> Looking at loaded drivers/modules: all required are loaded.
>>
>> Booting into rescue mode with the very same kernel/initrd works:
>> devices are there, modules are loaded, file systems are accessible.
>>
>> Any idea how to solve this problem, when none of the kernels available
>> boots into multiuser? And only the rescue system is working?
>
>   Debian stable, testing or unstable or ?
> and what hardware setup?

testing, then checked unstable -- same.
stable does work as expected.

Thomas

Re: Debian booting into initramfs shell

Michael Wagner
On Jan 09, 2019 at 16:56:05, Thomas Schweikle wrote:

> On 09.01.2019 14:00, songbird wrote:
> > Thomas Schweikle wrote:
> >>
> >> Since latest upgrades debian boots into initramfs shell:
> >>
> >> Gave up Waiting for suspend/resum device
> >> Gave up waiting for root file system device. Gommon problems:
> >>
> >> ALERT! UUID=c92b... does not exist.
> >> Dropping to a shell!
> >>
> >> Looking at devices, none exist: /dev/sda* are all missing.
> >> Looking at loaded drivers/modules: all required are loaded.
> >>
> >> Booting into rescue mode with the very same kernel/initrd works:
> >> devices are there, modules are loaded, file systems are accessible.
> >>
> >> Any idea how to solve this problem, when none of the kernels available
> >> boots into multiuser? And only the rescue system is working?
> >
> >   Debian stable, testing or unstable or ?
> > and what hardware setup?
>
> testing, then checked unstable -- same.
> stable does work as expected.
Look here:

Hth Michael

--
Procrastination: The art of keeping up with yesterday.

Re: Debian booting into initramfs shell

deloptes-2
Thomas Schweikle wrote:

> Did you read my post? /dev/sd* are missing, but modules are loaded!

you mean modules for the disks?

> Looks like /dev/sd* entries are not created.

is udev OK?

Re: Debian booting into initramfs shell

Pascal Hambourg-2
Le 09/01/2019 à 10:29, Thomas Schweikle a écrit :

> Since latest upgrades debian boots into initramfs shell:
(...)
> Booting into rescue mode with the very same kernel/initrd works:

Consistently ? AFAIK, the only difference between normal and rescue mode
which may affect the initramfs process is the presence or absence of the
option "quiet" in the kernel command line which displays more or less
messages. Could you test the normal mode without "quiet" and the rescue
mode with "quiet" ?