Debian for blind people

Pierre Gaumond
Hello,
I'm on Windows 8.1 and the voice synthesis JAWS 16.
In the past, I worked on Unix (System V and Berkeley). I really liked Unix.
I liked GNU gcc, sed and Emacs as well as Vi. I appreciated the on-line
documentation on the /man/ directory.
Unfortunately I became blind some years ago.
What I expect from Debian is a screen review and voice synthesis that
would be integrated to the system as strongly as VoiceOver is integrated
to iOS on an iPhone or an iPad.
Besides going on Internet with a browser (like Firefox or Google Chrome)
or sending e-Mails (like Thunderbird) or managing my folders and files,
I want to program in some languages such as C, C++, Objective-C or Swift
if it would be possible.
I like Vim and Emacs. I know about EmacSpeak. I could be interested to
write or modify Elisp scripts.
I really don't like Windows editors because they introduce extra and
alien characters in the text. I don't need character policy.
I need a good file management that would tell me as an example, the
folder that contains the greatest number of files or the biggest files.
I wrote one on Unix but they lost the source code.
I would like to have available informations about each file: creation
date, last modification, last access to determine if the file is useful.
I would need two accounts, one as an administrator and one as a user.
These are the most evident needs that I can figure out.
Thanks for reading me.
Pierre

--
Pierre Gaumond
Montréal | Montreal   (Qc) Canada
Envoyé de mon Intel I7 | Sent from my Intel I7

Re: Debian for blind people

Eldon Koyle
Hello Pierre,

The accessibility list would probably be the best place to ask questions.  I'm copying them.

There is a little bit of information in the install guide at https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/ch05s02.html.en .

There is also a wiki page at https://wiki.debian.org/accessibility .

--
Eldon

On Fri, Jul 5, 2019, 17:18 Pierre Gaumond <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Jean-Philippe MENGUAL-3

My feedbacks in your mail
Le 06/07/2019 à 01:02, Pierre Gaumond a écrit :
> Hello,
> What I expect from Debian is a screen review and voice synthesis that
> would be integrated to the system as strongly as VoiceOver is integrated
> to iOS on an iPhone or an iPad.

Debian can be installed via a speech synthtiser. Once installed, if you
install the desktop environment from the installer, the Orca screen
reader will start and work. It works fine on most applications and, in
particular, on the desktop (choose MATE as desktop). The voice is not
beautiful, you could install aditional ones from the non-free
repositories, mbrola. Others exist, paying, with a quit big quality, as
good as Voiceover one.

> Besides going on Internet with a browser (like Firefox or Google Chrome)

Chrome is not yet accessible. Firfox is.

> or sending e-Mails (like Thunderbird) or managing my folders and files,

Thunderbird is completely accessible. Just Buster will include a less
accessible release than Stretch. But things will improve soon

> I want to program in some languages such as C, C++, Objective-C or Swift
> if it would be possible.

You can use Emacs, so yes, it is possible. You also can use the
commandline, so yes, should be fine

> I like Vim and Emacs. I know about EmacSpeak. I could be interested to
> write or modify Elisp scripts.

Probably Emacs easier to be accessible via th spch-el package.

> I really don't like Windows editors because they introduce extra and
> alien characters in the text. I don't need character policy.

It does not exist with editors on Debian

> I need a good file management that would tell me as an example, the
> folder that contains the greatest number of files or the biggest files.

THe desktop includes one. For additional needs, you probably will prefer
the comandline power.

> I wrote one on Unix but they lost the source code.
> I would like to have available informations about each file: creation
> date, last modification, last access to determine if the file is useful.

Agaain, possible in commandline, but also probably in th filemanager itself.

> I would need two accounts, one as an administrator and one as a user.

That is the default configuration in Debian

> These are the most evident needs that I can figure out.

Welcome to Debian! :) If you don't have success installing, back to me
or debian-accessibility list. Not that one company provides full-Debian
installd computers out-of-the-box, accessible

Regards