Debian hurd porter boxes

Mattias Ellert-2
Hi!

What is the status of the Debian hurd porter boxes?

I am unable to contact both exodar.debian.net and strauss.debian.net.

strauss answers to ping, but ssh login fails (timeout).

exodar fails traceroute from here.

        Mattias

Re: Debian hurd porter boxes

Samuel Thibault-8
Hello,

Mattias Ellert, le Thu 28 May 2015 10:09:43 +0200, a écrit :
> What is the status of the Debian hurd porter boxes?
>
> I am unable to contact both exodar.debian.net and strauss.debian.net.
>
> strauss answers to ping, but ssh login fails (timeout).

Well, actually it's the dom0 which pings, exodar is a domU which is
usually shut down since it's so slow.

> exodar fails traceroute from here.

Yes, it was broken and I hadn't had the time to recover it till now.

Gabriele, you said schroot there was missing some changes you proposed
for proper cleanups, but AFAIK, it has version 1.6.10-1+hurd.1 which
includes your proposed changes.

Samuel

Re: Debian hurd porter boxes

Samuel Thibault-8
Samuel Thibault, le Fri 29 May 2015 10:15:00 +0530, a écrit :
> Gabriele, you said schroot there was missing some changes you proposed
> for proper cleanups, but AFAIK, it has version 1.6.10-1+hurd.1 which
> includes your proposed changes.

There was still an issue with the /home mount, though. I have thus added
by hand unmounting /home by hand like you added things to umount /proc
by hand, but we really need to have this automatic rather than done by
hand, i.e. to fix whatever needs fixing in procfs or other so that the
changes you proposed to umount /proc by hand becomes unnecessary.

Samuel

Re: Debian hurd porter boxes

Richard Braun-5
On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 10:15:00AM +0530, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> Well, actually it's the dom0 which pings, exodar is a domU which is
> usually shut down since it's so slow.

Name confusion ?

--
Richard Braun

Re: Debian hurd porter boxes

Samuel Thibault-8
Richard Braun, le Fri 29 May 2015 08:43:26 +0000, a écrit :
> On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 10:15:00AM +0530, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> > Well, actually it's the dom0 which pings, exodar is a domU which is
> > usually shut down since it's so slow.
>
> Name confusion ?

Oops, yes, I meant strauss here.

Samuel

Re: Debian hurd porter boxes

Gabriele Giacone-3
On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 7:03 AM, Samuel Thibault <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Samuel Thibault, le Fri 29 May 2015 10:15:00 +0530, a écrit :
>> Gabriele, you said schroot there was missing some changes you proposed
>> for proper cleanups, but AFAIK, it has version 1.6.10-1+hurd.1 which
>> includes your proposed changes.
>
> There was still an issue with the /home mount, though. I have thus added
> by hand unmounting /home by hand like you added things to umount /proc
> by hand, but we really need to have this automatic rather than done by
> hand, i.e. to fix whatever needs fixing in procfs or other so that the
> changes you proposed to umount /proc by hand becomes unnecessary.

This is the fix update, it just replaces "umount" with "settrans -apg".

 https://lists.debian.org/debian-hurd/2014/10/msg00007.html

It fixes /proc umount, bindmounted by schroot sessions. That makes it
remove schroot session correctly.

--
G..e

Re: Debian hurd porter boxes

Gabriele Giacone-3
On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 11:39 AM, Gabriele Giacone <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 7:03 AM, Samuel Thibault <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Samuel Thibault, le Fri 29 May 2015 10:15:00 +0530, a écrit :
>>> Gabriele, you said schroot there was missing some changes you proposed
>>> for proper cleanups, but AFAIK, it has version 1.6.10-1+hurd.1 which
>>> includes your proposed changes.
>>
>> There was still an issue with the /home mount, though. I have thus added
>> by hand unmounting /home by hand like you added things to umount /proc
>> by hand, but we really need to have this automatic rather than done by
>> hand, i.e. to fix whatever needs fixing in procfs or other so that the
>> changes you proposed to umount /proc by hand becomes unnecessary.
>
> This is the fix update, it just replaces "umount" with "settrans -apg".
>
>  https://lists.debian.org/debian-hurd/2014/10/msg00007.html
>
> It fixes /proc umount, bindmounted by schroot sessions. That makes it
> remove schroot session correctly.

Still about workarounding it, I see you upgraded chroot so
dist-upgrade is not problematic anymore, it doesn't upgrade hurd
package, no setup-translators run.
All sessions will be properly removed, till next hurd package upload.
If you don't want to update patch above, another workaround is
scheduling chroot upgrade from time to time or triggered by new hurd
package versions.
Even inhibiting hurd upgrade via apt preferences should work.

--
G..e

Re: Debian hurd porter boxes

Samuel Thibault-8
Gabriele Giacone, le Fri 29 May 2015 20:03:07 +0200, a écrit :
> Still about workarounding it, I see you upgraded chroot so
> dist-upgrade is not problematic anymore, it doesn't upgrade hurd
> package, no setup-translators run.

Actually, the upgrade should have been automatic, but the script for
this was buggy. I simply fixed the script :)

Samuel