Debugging evolution

Mikael Nilsson
Hi!

I'm trying to debug a crash in evolution, or at least turn on debugging
symbols. Th bug is probably in gtk, so I did

 aptitude install libgtk2.0-0-dbg

and was immediately confronted with

My hack was to do

 ln -s libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0.800.10 libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0

in /usr/lib/debug/usr/lib

and then trying to run evo using

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/debug:/usr/lib/debug/usr/lib evolution

But, I get an immediate segfault. gdb says this when running
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/debug:/usr/lib/debug/usr/lib gdb evolution:

(gdb) run
Starting program: /usr/bin/evolution
(no debugging symbols found)

0xb7f5f4b9 in ?? ()
(gdb) bt
#0  0xb7f5f4b9 in ?? ()
#1  0xb7f62112 in ?? ()
#2  0xbfb6a084 in ?? ()
#3  0xbfb69f64 in ?? ()
#4  0x00000000 in ?? ()
(gdb)

Am I *totally* off the  mark (I'm not used to debugging) or is something
else wrong?

/Mikael

--
Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

Re: Debugging evolution

Michel Dänzer-3
On Thu, 2006-01-26 at 11:28 +0100, Mikael Nilsson wrote:

> I'm trying to debug a crash in evolution, or at least turn on debugging
> symbols. Th bug is probably in gtk, so I did
>
>  aptitude install libgtk2.0-0-dbg
>
> and was immediately confronted with

> My hack was to do
>
>  ln -s libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0.800.10 libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0
>
> in /usr/lib/debug/usr/lib
>
> and then trying to run evo using
>
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/debug:/usr/lib/debug/usr/lib evolution
>
> But, I get an immediate segfault. gdb says this when running
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/debug:/usr/lib/debug/usr/lib gdb evolution:

libgtk2.0-0-dbg doesn't ship real libraries but only the debugging
symbols that correspond to the libraries in libgtk2.0-0. gdb (and other
debugging tools) should automatically pick up the debugging symbols from
the files in /usr/lib/debug.

In other words, the bug above is invalid.

--
Earthling Michel Dänzer      |     Debian (powerpc), X and DRI developer
Libre software enthusiast    |   http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=daenzer

Re: Debugging evolution

Mikael Nilsson
tor 2006-01-26 klockan 12:00 +0100 skrev Michel Dänzer:

> libgtk2.0-0-dbg doesn't ship real libraries but only the debugging
> symbols that correspond to the libraries in libgtk2.0-0. gdb (and other
> debugging tools) should automatically pick up the debugging symbols from
> the files in /usr/lib/debug.

Ok, thanks a lot.... that explains everything.

> In other words, the bug above is invalid.

Yes. Maybe someone could add the above comment and close it?

/Mikael

--
Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose