Debuild cant find upstream source for repackaged PPA

Debuild cant find upstream source for repackaged PPA

Calum McConnell
So, I was looking at repackaging Yannubuntu/boot-repair for Sid because
when I first set up my debian dual-boot, I had to use to to actually
dual boot.  I followed the instructions in the wiki for repackaging
PPA's, and added a new changelog entry (as well as changing the package
to be a quilt instead of a native package: I tried both ways).  I
incremented the version to be 4ppa69-1 instead of 4ppa69, in case I
needed to make further changes.  However, when I tried to run debuild,
I got the attached text file as the output.

What is going on here? The upstream tarball clearly exists, but debuild
doesnt see it?

Log (1K) Download Attachment

Re: Debuild cant find upstream source for repackaged PPA

Jeremy Sowden
On 2020-03-18, at 13:49:29 -0400, Calum McConnell wrote:

> So, I was looking at repackaging Yannubuntu/boot-repair for Sid
> because when I first set up my debian dual-boot, I had to use to to
> actually dual boot.  I followed the instructions in the wiki for
> repackaging PPA's, and added a new changelog entry (as well as
> changing the package to be a quilt instead of a native package: I
> tried both ways).  I incremented the version to be 4ppa69-1 instead of
> 4ppa69, in case I needed to make further changes.  However, when I
> tried to run debuild, I got the attached text file as the output.
>
> What is going on here? The upstream tarball clearly exists, but
> debuild doesnt see it?

> calum@CalumsDebianSupreme:~/package/boot-repair/boot-repair_4ppa69-1$ ls
> boot-repair_4ppa69.orig.tar.gz  debian  docs  etc  po  usr

$ mv boot-repair_4ppa69.orig.tar.gz ..

> calum@CalumsDebianSupreme:~/package/boot-repair/boot-repair_4ppa69-1$ debuild
> This package has a Debian revision number but there does not seem to be
> an appropriate original tar file or .orig directory in the parent directory;
> (expected one of boot-repair_4ppa69.orig.tar.gz, boot-repair_4ppa69.orig.tar.bz2,
> boot-repair_4ppa69.orig.tar.lzma,  boot-repair_4ppa69.orig.tar.xz or boot-repair_4ppa69-1.orig)
> continue anyway? (y/n) y
>  dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc -ui
> dpkg-buildpackage: info: source package boot-repair
> dpkg-buildpackage: info: source version 4ppa69-1
> dpkg-buildpackage: info: source distribution UNRELEASED
> dpkg-buildpackage: info: source changed by Calum McConnell <[hidden email]>
>  dpkg-source --before-build .
> dpkg-buildpackage: info: host architecture amd64
>  fakeroot debian/rules clean
> dh clean
>    dh_clean
>  dpkg-source -b .
> dpkg-source: error: can't build with source format '3.0 (quilt)': no upstream tarball found at ../boot-repair_4ppa69.orig.tar.{bz2,gz,lzma,xz}
> dpkg-buildpackage: error: dpkg-source -b . subprocess returned exit status 25
> debuild: fatal error at line 1182:
> dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc -ui failed
J.

Re: Debuild cant find upstream source for repackaged PPA

Andrey Rahmatullin-3
On Wed, Mar 18, 2020 at 01:49:29PM -0400, Calum McConnell wrote:
> calum@CalumsDebianSupreme:~/package/boot-repair/boot-repair_4ppa69-1$ ls
> boot-repair_4ppa69.orig.tar.gz  debian  docs  etc  po  usr
The orig tarball must be in the parent directory.

> calum@CalumsDebianSupreme:~/package/boot-repair/boot-repair_4ppa69-1$ debuild
> This package has a Debian revision number but there does not seem to be
> an appropriate original tar file or .orig directory in the parent directory;

WBR, wRAR

Re: Debuild cant find upstream source for repackaged PPA

Ryan Pavlik-2
The old version number was for a "native package" - with no trailing dash and Debian package revision. When you added your suffix of -1, that implied a non-native package for which there should be an orig tarball and a Debian diff tarball.

Use + (to increase vs. version without) or ~ (to decrease vs. version without) as the delimiter for your version suffix, instead of -.

Hope this helps!

Ryan

doesnt see it?

On Wed, 2020-03-18 at 13:05 -0500, Ryan Pavlik wrote:

> The old version number was for a "native package" - with no trailing
> dash and Debian package revision. When you added your suffix of -1,
> that implied a non-native package for which there should be an orig
> tarball and a Debian diff tarball.
>
> Use + (to increase vs. version without) or ~ (to decrease vs. version
> without) as the delimiter for your version suffix, instead of -.
>
> Hope this helps!
>
> Ryan
>
> On Wed, Mar 18, 2020, 12:49 PM Calum McConnell <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> > So, I was looking at repackaging Yannubuntu/boot-repair for Sid
> > because
> > when I first set up my debian dual-boot, I had to use to to
> > actually
> > dual boot.  I followed the instructions in the wiki for repackaging
> > PPA's, and added a new changelog entry (as well as changing the
> > package
> > to be a quilt instead of a native package: I tried both ways).  I
> > incremented the version to be 4ppa69-1 instead of 4ppa69, in case I
> > needed to make further changes.  However, when I tried to run
> > debuild,
> > I got the attached text file as the output.
> >
> > What is going on here? The upstream tarball clearly exists, but
> > debuild
> > doesnt see it?
Okay, thanks: but isn't my new package a non-native package? Yes, the
upstream happens to be a Debian redistribution: but there is an
"upstream source" and "upstream maintainer".  Should I even be
packaging this? If I do, am I the uploader/maintainer, or is the
original developer still the maintainer? They're doing all the work:
I'm just adding a few bits to make it ready for Debian.

(Sorry for the delay: I hit 'reply' instead of 'reply all')

On Thu, Mar 26, 2020 at 11:51:59AM -0400, Calum McConnell wrote:
> Okay, thanks: but isn't my new package a non-native package?
Is it your package or just a rebuild of an existing 3rd-party native one?

> Yes, the upstream happens to be a Debian redistribution: but there is an
> "upstream source" and "upstream maintainer".  Should I even be packaging
> this?
Do you want to upload it to Debian or do you want just use it locally?

--
WBR, wRAR