Dell Inspiron 17 3000 Series 3785 problem with X

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Dell Inspiron 17 3000 Series 3785 problem with X

ernst doubt-2
Hi all,

i had sent a message to debian-laptop a few hours back, but all i've
seen so far is one response (suggesting i use q4os). i'm pretty
committed to using debian directly though (at least until i've tried an
awful lot more things).

After installing buster, this brand new laptop of mine seems to hang on
X (GDM) starting -- after briefly showing a flashing underscore char in
the top left corner of the screen, it drops back to command-line output
(but doesn't allow me to login).

i'm booted into recovery mode right now and i've managed to get
networking up and running (and installed emacs-nox and gpm, yay!) and
i'm looking through /var/log/daemon.log from my failed boot last night.

My assumption is that there's probably some non-free firmware package i
need to install (and maybe configure?)

20 years ago or so i remember fighting with modelines entries in order
to get X working, but i imagine things have changed.

This machine purportedly has:
AMD Ryzen™ 5 2500U Mobile Processor with Radeon™ Vega 8 Graphics

If anyone has any suggestions or hints about how to proceed with
troubleshooting, i'm happy to share log files, chase down
documentation, install packages, edit configuration files or whatever
else is needed. i could also burn an ubuntu disk and boot that live to
see what i could learn from that experience (a web search seems to
indicate ubuntu would install fine on this laptop, but my preference is
to stick with debian).

    thanks so much in advance,
        ~e



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Dell Inspiron 17 3000 Series 3785 problem with X

tomas@tuxteam.de
On Wed, Aug 14, 2019 at 08:11:34AM -0400, ernst doubt wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> i had sent a message to debian-laptop a few hours back, but all i've
> seen so far is one response (suggesting i use q4os). i'm pretty
> committed to using debian directly though (at least until i've tried an
> awful lot more things).
>
> After installing buster, this brand new laptop of mine seems to hang on
> X (GDM) starting -- after briefly showing a flashing underscore char in
> the top left corner of the screen, it drops back to command-line output
> (but doesn't allow me to login).
[...]

It seems that your X server is giving up for some reason.

Not a graphics expert here, but you may get some hints by inpecting
the X log file (called typically Xorg.0.log -- it usually lives in
/var/log or perhaps in your home directory. Towards the end, you
might find some lines tagged with (EE) -- those are errors.

The content of that file might be of help to folks around here to
diagnose your problem.

Cheers
-- tomás

signature.asc (205 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Dell Inspiron 17 3000 Series 3785 problem with X

Dan Ritter-4
In reply to this post by ernst doubt-2
ernst doubt wrote:

> After installing buster, this brand new laptop of mine seems to hang on
> X (GDM) starting -- after briefly showing a flashing underscore char in
> the top left corner of the screen, it drops back to command-line output
> (but doesn't allow me to login).
>
> i'm booted into recovery mode right now and i've managed to get
> networking up and running (and installed emacs-nox and gpm, yay!) and
> i'm looking through /var/log/daemon.log from my failed boot last night.
>
> My assumption is that there's probably some non-free firmware package i
> need to install (and maybe configure?)
>
> 20 years ago or so i remember fighting with modelines entries in order
> to get X working, but i imagine things have changed.
>
> This machine purportedly has:
> AMD Ryzen™ 5 2500U Mobile Processor with Radeon™ Vega 8 Graphics

This needs the amdgpu server:

xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu
and
firmware-amd-graphics

and a reboot.

The primary log file for this should be /var/log/Xorg.0.log --
look for complaints there. It should explicitly recognize your
video chipset as an AMD Vega system and then produce lots of
output with the amdgpu prefix. If it doesn't, Xorg isn't firing
up the right driver and you may need to specify it.

-dsr-

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Dell Inspiron 17 3000 Series 3785 problem with X

ernst doubt-2
In reply to this post by tomas@tuxteam.de
On Wed, 2019-08-14 at 14:20 +0200, [hidden email] wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 14, 2019 at 08:11:34AM -0400, ernst doubt wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > i had sent a message to debian-laptop a few hours back, but all
> > i've
> > seen so far is one response (suggesting i use q4os). i'm pretty
> > committed to using debian directly though (at least until i've
> > tried an
> > awful lot more things).
> >
> > After installing buster, this brand new laptop of mine seems to
> > hang on
> > X (GDM) starting -- after briefly showing a flashing underscore
> > char in
> > the top left corner of the screen, it drops back to command-line
> > output
> > (but doesn't allow me to login).
>
> [...]
>
> It seems that your X server is giving up for some reason.
>
> Not a graphics expert here, but you may get some hints by inpecting
> the X log file (called typically Xorg.0.log -- it usually lives in
> /var/log or perhaps in your home directory. Towards the end, you
> might find some lines tagged with (EE) -- those are errors.
>
> The content of that file might be of help to folks around here to
> diagnose your problem.
>
> Cheers
> -- tomás


Thanks for all the help folks. i managed to solve it on my own. Pretty
sure it was the linux-firmware-nonfree package that did it.

    best,
        ~e


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Dell Inspiron 17 3000 Series 3785 problem with X

Charlie S

        Received from ernst on Wed, 14 Aug 2019 09:10:55 -0400 Re: Dell
        Inspiron 17 3000 Series 3785 problem with X

        > On Wed, 2019-08-14 at 14:20 +0200, [hidden email] wrote:

> > On Wed, Aug 14, 2019 at 08:11:34AM -0400, ernst doubt wrote:  
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > i had sent a message to debian-laptop a few hours back, but all
> > > i've
> > > seen so far is one response (suggesting i use q4os). i'm pretty
> > > committed to using debian directly though (at least until i've
> > > tried an
> > > awful lot more things).
> > >
> > > After installing buster, this brand new laptop of mine seems to
> > > hang on
> > > X (GDM) starting -- after briefly showing a flashing underscore
> > > char in
> > > the top left corner of the screen, it drops back to command-line
> > > output
> > > (but doesn't allow me to login).  
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > It seems that your X server is giving up for some reason.
> >
> > Not a graphics expert here, but you may get some hints by inpecting
> > the X log file (called typically Xorg.0.log -- it usually lives in
> > /var/log or perhaps in your home directory. Towards the end, you
> > might find some lines tagged with (EE) -- those are errors.
> >
> > The content of that file might be of help to folks around here to
> > diagnose your problem.
> >
> > Cheers
> > -- tomás  
>
>
> Thanks for all the help folks. i managed to solve it on my own. Pretty
> sure it was the linux-firmware-nonfree package that did it.
>
>     best,
>         ~e

I stayed away from AMD Ryzen™ 5 2500U Mobile Processor with Radeon
after what I read about it, but did get a laptop with AMD graphics.
Probably will never do that again,

Installed Buster as legacy when it would not install EFI.

Required all these to to have it stop locking up:

firmware-linux
firmware-linux-nonfree
libdrm-amdgpu1
xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu
llvm

Found them in various discussions and information on the web.

Maybe that will help someone else.

Charlie

        East Gippsland Wildlife Rehabilitators Inc..
                     http://www.egwildlife.com.au/

--
        Registered Linux User:- 329524
        ***********************************************

        From error to error one discovers the entire truth. ---Sigmund
        Freud

        ***********************************************

        Debian GNU/Linux - Magic indeed.

        -----------------------------------------------------