Disable knotify sounds using xfce

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Disable knotify sounds using xfce

Lucio Crusca-2
Hello all,

I use Xfce, but I also like having a few KDE apps installed (namely,
k3b, konquest and a few others, but the problem here pertains to knotify
in general). I haven't the full KDE desktop and I don't want it. I'm on
a up-to-date stretch/sid amd64. When playing konquest, for example, each
time a dialog pops up, knotify plays a sound regardless of my sound
volume settings (worse, it raises the sound volume).

There used to be a systemsettings command I could run from terminal to
adjust those KDE settings, but now the command is systemsettings5 and
the window it shows does not include icons to manage sound settings
anymore. It only contains three icons: shortcuts under Workspace section
and Settings + Connectivity under Network section. Needless to say, they
aren't what I need.

How do I tell KDE apps to avoid playing sounds on notifications?

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Disable knotify sounds using xfce

Ralph Katz
On 04/02/2016 04:28 AM, Lucio Crusca wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I use Xfce, but I also like having a few KDE apps installed (namely,
> k3b, konquest and a few others, but the problem here pertains to knotify
> in general). I haven't the full KDE desktop and I don't want it. I'm on
> a up-to-date stretch/sid amd64. When playing konquest, for example, each
> time a dialog pops up, knotify plays a sound regardless of my sound
> volume settings (worse, it raises the sound volume).

...

> How do I tell KDE apps to avoid playing sounds on notifications?

Running xfce on jessie, I solved that annoyance by moving the offending
sound file out of the way.  In my case,
/usr/share/sounds/KDE-Sys-Warning.ogg would blast from the speakers when
akregator (RSS reader) came across an expired site certificate.

You could do something similar, or change permissions, for the whole kde
sound file directory.  A more proper method may exist, but simple works
fine.

Regards,
Ralph






signature.asc (546 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Disable knotify sounds using xfce

Lucio Crusca-2


Il 04/04/2016 20:44, Ralph Katz ha scritto:
> You could do something similar, or change permissions, for the whole
> kde sound file directory. A more proper method may exist, but simple
> works fine.

Thanks for the suggestion, a

# chmod o-r /usr/share/sounds/KDE*

worked on stretch/sid too. Since this seems to be a needed and missing
feature, I've opened a whishlist bug upstream:

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=361400

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Disable knotify sounds using xfce

Liam O'Toole
On 2016-04-05, Lucio Crusca <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
>
> Il 04/04/2016 20:44, Ralph Katz ha scritto:
>> You could do something similar, or change permissions, for the whole
>> kde sound file directory. A more proper method may exist, but simple
>> works fine.
>
> Thanks for the suggestion, a
>
> # chmod o-r /usr/share/sounds/KDE*
>
> worked on stretch/sid too. Since this seems to be a needed and missing
> feature, I've opened a whishlist bug upstream:
>
> https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=361400

I'm not using KDE at the moment, but my experience of it is that all KDE
applications store their configuration in text files. Is there a
knotifyrc file somewhere on your system? See the "second way" in the
following link:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2174789

--

Liam

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Disable knotify sounds using xfce

Lucio Crusca-2

Il 05/04/2016 13:34, Liam O'Toole ha scritto:
> I'm not using KDE at the moment, but my experience of it is that all
> KDE applications store their configuration in text files. Is there a
> knotifyrc file somewhere on your system? See the "second way" in the
> following link: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2174789

No, there is no such file in my system. There was once with KDE 4 for
sure, because I have found that file in a old backup copy of a different
system, but now there isn't anymore.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Disable knotify sounds using xfce

Ralph Katz
On 04/06/2016 05:13 PM, Lucio Crusca wrote:

>
> Il 05/04/2016 13:34, Liam O'Toole ha scritto:
>> I'm not using KDE at the moment, but my experience of it is that all
>> KDE applications store their configuration in text files. Is there a
>> knotifyrc file somewhere on your system? See the "second way" in the
>> following link: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2174789
>
> No, there is no such file in my system. There was once with KDE 4 for
> sure, because I have found that file in a old backup copy of a different
> system, but now there isn't anymore.
Just for the archives, my jessie system has knotifyrc installed by
libknotifyconfig4 as a dependency of akregator (RSS reader):

ralph@spike2 ~$ locate knotifyrc
/home/ralph/.kde/share/config/knotifyrc
ralph@spike2 ~$ cat .kde/share/config/knotifyrc
[StartProgress]
Arts Init=false
KNotify Init=true
Use Arts=false
ralph@spike2 ~$

Regards,
Ralph






signature.asc (546 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Disable knotify sounds using xfce

Cindy Sue Causey
On 4/9/16, Ralph Katz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 04/06/2016 05:13 PM, Lucio Crusca wrote:
>>
>> Il 05/04/2016 13:34, Liam O'Toole ha scritto:
>>> I'm not using KDE at the moment, but my experience of it is that all
>>> KDE applications store their configuration in text files. Is there a
>>> knotifyrc file somewhere on your system? See the "second way" in the
>>> following link: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2174789
>>
>> No, there is no such file in my system. There was once with KDE 4 for
>> sure, because I have found that file in a old backup copy of a different
>> system, but now there isn't anymore.
>
> Just for the archives, my jessie system has knotifyrc installed by
> libknotifyconfig4 as a dependency of akregator (RSS reader):
>
> ralph@spike2 ~$ locate knotifyrc
> /home/ralph/.kde/share/config/knotifyrc
> ralph@spike2 ~$ cat .kde/share/config/knotifyrc
> [StartProgress]
> Arts Init=false
> KNotify Init=true
> Use Arts=false
> ralph@spike2 ~$


What about... aka would there be any harm in... Lucio adding this file
back in just for kicks and giggles to see if it works? I remember
doing that consistently for I THINK it was kppprc while living via
Live DVDs (in Knoppix?).

The acknowledged difference between his usage and mine is that I THINK
I remember that kppp would create its own file that I replaced after
each reboot where Lucio's instance is not generating that file at all.
One potential inference then might be that knotify had obsoleted it...
or something. I can't see where it would do so because it's about
local user setting *_CHOICES_* but still... :)

Just thinking out loud... again. :)

Cindy :)

--
Cindy-Sue Causey
Talking Rock, Pickens County, Georgia, USA

* runs with plastic sporks *