Downgrading specific packages with apt

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
18 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Downgrading specific packages with apt

solitone
I am on Debian 9 (scratch), and I have a MacBook Pro 12,1 with retina display.

Few days ago I upgraded Google Chrome from version 58 to 59:
google-chrome-stable:amd64 (58.0.3029.110-1, 59.0.3071.86-1)
This new version no longer supports HiDPI. As a result everything in Chrome is
so small that I would need a magnifying glass!

Not a great issue though, since I usually work with Chromium, not Chrome. But
today apt has proposed the very same upgrade for Chromium too:

chromium/testing 59.0.3071.86-1 amd64 [upgradable from: 58.0.3029.96-1]
chromium-driver/testing 59.0.3071.86-1 amd64 [upgradable from: 58.0.3029.96-1]
chromium-l10n/testing 59.0.3071.86-1 all [upgradable from: 58.0.3029.96-1]
chromium-shell/testing 59.0.3071.86-1 amd64 [upgradable from: 58.0.3029.96-1]

I suspect if I upgrade I would end up having the same HiDPI issue with
Chromium. So for the time being I have put on hold those four packages. But
I'd like to test whether this is true. What should I do to be able to
downgrade to version 58.0.3029.96-1 in case 59.0.3071.86-1 does in fact break
HiDPI? I always have some difficulties when I need to downgrade with apt. This
time I want to be prepared.

Thanks!

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Downgrading specific packages with apt

Jimmy Johnson-5
On 06/09/2017 09:44 PM, solitone wrote:

> I am on Debian 9 (scratch), and I have a MacBook Pro 12,1 with retina display.
>
> Few days ago I upgraded Google Chrome from version 58 to 59:
> google-chrome-stable:amd64 (58.0.3029.110-1, 59.0.3071.86-1)
> This new version no longer supports HiDPI. As a result everything in Chrome is
> so small that I would need a magnifying glass!
>
> Not a great issue though, since I usually work with Chromium, not Chrome. But
> today apt has proposed the very same upgrade for Chromium too:
>
> chromium/testing 59.0.3071.86-1 amd64 [upgradable from: 58.0.3029.96-1]
> chromium-driver/testing 59.0.3071.86-1 amd64 [upgradable from: 58.0.3029.96-1]
> chromium-l10n/testing 59.0.3071.86-1 all [upgradable from: 58.0.3029.96-1]
> chromium-shell/testing 59.0.3071.86-1 amd64 [upgradable from: 58.0.3029.96-1]
>
> I suspect if I upgrade I would end up having the same HiDPI issue with
> Chromium. So for the time being I have put on hold those four packages. But
> I'd like to test whether this is true. What should I do to be able to
> downgrade to version 58.0.3029.96-1 in case 59.0.3071.86-1 does in fact break
> HiDPI? I always have some difficulties when I need to downgrade with apt. This
> time I want to be prepared.
>
> Thanks!


I've never downgrade using apt, but with synaptic it's not too hard,
just go to the menu, package, force version and then to edit, fix
packages.  The fix package part really only checks to see no package is
broken, but you must do it or risk losing all your current settings and
have to start over.

Hope that helps.
--
Jimmy Johnson

Ubuntu 16.04 - KDE Plasma 5.8.7 - Intel G3220  - EXT4 at sda19
Registered Linux User #380263

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Downgrading specific packages with apt

solitone
On Friday, 9 June 2017 23:38:40 CEST Jimmy Johnson wrote:
> I've never downgrade using apt, but with synaptic it's not too hard,

Hi Jimmy, and thanks for your reply. I'm under Plasma Desktop, so I don't have
synaptic--I use KDE's Discover. Although I use it only for automatic updates.
For installing/removing packages, as well as setting a package on hold, I use
apt. I'd rather use apt for downgrading as well.

Cheers!

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Downgrading specific packages with apt

Fungi4All

UTC Time: June 10, 2017 7:42 AM

On Friday, 9 June 2017 23:38:40 CEST Jimmy Johnson wrote:
> I've never downgrade using apt, but with synaptic it's not too hard,

Hi Jimmy, and thanks for your reply. I'm under Plasma Desktop, so I don't have
synaptic--I use KDE's Discover. Although I use it only for automatic updates.
For installing/removing packages, as well as setting a package on hold, I use
apt. I'd rather use apt for downgrading as well.



dpkg

Put a package on hold:

echo "<package-name> hold" | sudo dpkg --set-selections

Remove the hold:

echo "<package-name> install" | sudo dpkg --set-selections

Display the status of your packages:

dpkg --get-selections

Display the status of a single package:

dpkg --get-selections | grep "<package-name>"

apt

Hold a package:

sudo apt-mark hold <package-name>

Remove the hold:

sudo apt-mark unhold <package-name>

aptitude

Hold a package:

sudo aptitude hold <package-name>

Remove the hold:

sudo aptitude unhold <package-name>

thanks to askubuntu 

Cheers!


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Downgrading specific packages with apt

solitone
On Saturday, 10 June 2017 05:45:22 CEST Fungi4All wrote:
> apt
>
> Hold a package:
> sudo apt-mark hold <package-name>
>
> Remove the hold:
> sudo apt-mark unhold <package-name>

That's ok. I can then:
$ sudo apt upgrade
to upgrade that package to the latest available version.

But my question was: once I've upgrated it, how can I *downgrade* it to its
previous version, in case I find out it doesn't work right? What's the best
practice to downgrade with apt?

Thanks

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Downgrading specific packages with apt

solitone
In reply to this post by solitone

UTC Time: June 10, 2017 9:55 AM

On Saturday, 10 June 2017 05:45:22 CEST Fungi4All wrote:
> apt
>
> Hold a package:
> sudo apt-mark hold <package-name>
>
> Remove the hold:
> sudo apt-mark unhold <package-name>

That's ok. I can then:
$ sudo apt upgrade
to upgrade that package to the latest available version.

But my question was: once I've upgrated it, how can I *downgrade* it to its
previous version, in case I find out it doesn't work right? What's the best
practice to downgrade with apt?

Thanks

With a package like chrome/ium that runs at the upper level of the structure
(ie top floor 5th) you can take it away and then find the .deb or the source of a previously
working version and re-install it.  Apt will not do this and the reason is:
If you were to do this at a lower level, like 2nd or 3rd, the structure above will collapse.
If you were to remove something like lxdm you will have no display manager to proceed.
You still have the entry level shell.  All package managers are set to be moving forward
upstream as they call it.

In some cases you can substitute mid-level packages, as lightdm with lxdm.  Neither can
coexist with the other.  While your kernel is already built on one, apt will take one away 
and replace its functions with the other.  It will affect you next boot.



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Downgrading specific packages with apt

Dejan Jocic
In reply to this post by solitone
On 10-06-17, solitone wrote:

> On Saturday, 10 June 2017 05:45:22 CEST Fungi4All wrote:
> > apt
> >
> > Hold a package:
> > sudo apt-mark hold <package-name>
> >
> > Remove the hold:
> > sudo apt-mark unhold <package-name>
>
> That's ok. I can then:
> $ sudo apt upgrade
> to upgrade that package to the latest available version.
>
> But my question was: once I've upgrated it, how can I *downgrade* it to its
> previous version, in case I find out it doesn't work right? What's the best
> practice to downgrade with apt?
>
> Thanks
>

# apt-get install package=package-version-number

or if you are up for targeting release

# apt-get -t=release install package

which is same as

# apt-get --target-release install package



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Downgrading specific packages with apt

Hans-J. Ullrich
Hi,
I made best progress by using aptitude. However, you have to look at the
dependencies yourself.

How to handle:
- Start aptitude with ncurses gui.
- Mark the required to the former available version.
- Look at the dependencies, you my have to set the dependend libs also to
former versions
- double check, if all dependencies are fullfilled
- install

Hint: Synaptic offers an option, to save all installed packages with versions
in a file. Thus you can reinstall your package state to a further time. Note,
that of course the package version have to be still in the repo.

You can also save the state of all packages with dpkg if you can not use
synatic (i.e. on a server without X), but as far as I know, the version is not
been saved with (someone may correct me, if I am wrong here and the version
can be saved, too).

Hope this helps.

Good luck!

Best

Hans

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Downgrading specific packages with apt

Lisi Reisz
In reply to this post by Fungi4All
On Saturday 10 June 2017 10:45:22 Fungi4All wrote:

> UTC Time: June 10, 2017 7:42 AM
> From: [hidden email]
>
> On Friday, 9 June 2017 23:38:40 CEST Jimmy Johnson wrote:
> > I've never downgrade using apt, but with synaptic it's not too hard,
>
> Hi Jimmy, and thanks for your reply. I'm under Plasma Desktop, so I don't
> have synaptic--I use KDE's Discover. Although I use it only for automatic
> updates. For installing/removing packages, as well as setting a package on
> hold, I use apt. I'd rather use apt for downgrading as well.
>
> dpkg
>
> Put a package on hold:
>
> echo "<package-name> hold" | sudo dpkg --set-selections
>
> Remove the hold:
>
> echo "<package-name> install" | sudo dpkg --set-selections
>
> Display the status of your packages:
>
> dpkg --get-selections
>
> Display the status of a single package:
>
> dpkg --get-selections | grep "<package-name>"
>
> apt
>
> Hold a package:
>
> sudo apt-mark hold <package-name>
>
> Remove the hold:
>
> sudo apt-mark unhold <package-name>
>
> aptitude
>
> Hold a package:
>
> sudo aptitude hold <package-name>
>
> Remove the hold:
>
> sudo aptitude unhold <package-name>
>
> thanks to askubuntu
>
> Cheers!

Yes, but it wasn't the question asked.  He already knows how to "hold" and has
already done it.  He wants to be sure how to DOWNGRADE if he needs to do so.

I realise that in theory Solitone could be a she, and apologise if my
impression that he is a man is wrong. :-(

Lisi

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Downgrading specific packages with apt

Fungi4All
In reply to this post by Fungi4All
With all the confusion on reply reply-all I has send her/him this

UTC Time: June 10, 2017 10:06 AM
To: solitone <[hidden email]>


UTC Time: June 10, 2017 9:55 AM

On Saturday, 10 June 2017 05:45:22 CEST Fungi4All wrote:
> apt
>
> Hold a package:
> sudo apt-mark hold <package-name>
>
> Remove the hold:
> sudo apt-mark unhold <package-name>

That's ok. I can then:
$ sudo apt upgrade
to upgrade that package to the latest available version.

But my question was: once I've upgrated it, how can I *downgrade* it to its
previous version, in case I find out it doesn't work right? What's the best
practice to downgrade with apt?

Thanks

With a package like chrome/ium that runs at the upper level of the structure
(ie top floor 5th) you can take it away and then find the .deb or the source of a previously
working version and re-install it.  Apt will not do this and the reason is:
If you were to do this at a lower level, like 2nd or 3rd, the structure above will collapse.
If you were to remove something like lxdm you will have no display manager to proceed.
You still have the entry level shell.  All package managers are set to be moving forward
upstream as they call it.

In some cases you can substitute mid-level packages, as lightdm with lxdm.  Neither can
coexist with the other.  While your kernel is already built on one, apt will take one away 
and replace its functions with the other.  It will affect you next boot.


Below please find Lisi's answer on whether packages should be reverted or not.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Downgrading specific packages with apt

Lisi Reisz
On Sunday 11 June 2017 08:16:11 Fungi4All wrote:
> Below please find Lisi's answer on whether packages should be reverted or
> not.

!!  There is nothing there - not surprising since I have never passed an
opinion on any such thing.  Does the version that went directly to solitone
have a complete invention by you, that you daren't let the list see since
they would know that I didn't say any such thing??  If so, then please,
Solitone, let me and the list know what I am supposed to have said.

Lisi

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Downgrading specific packages with apt

solitone

On Sunday, 11 June 2017 08:39:25 CEST Lisi Reisz wrote:

> please, Solitone, let me and the list know what I am supposed to have said.

No Lisi, I don't have more info than the list regarding what you supposedly said on this topic :-)

 

In any case, I've just removed the hold on the 4 chromium packages and upgraded. Everything's fine, chromium 59 does not have the issue that chrome 59 has.

 

In case I had to downgrade, I would have uninstalled those 4 packages, and reinstalled version 58 with dpkg, using the .deb files stored in /var/cache/apt/archives.

 

I'm wonder whether Dejan's suggestion actually works:

# apt-get install package=package-version-number

Whenever I try it I always get something like this:

 

# apt install chromium=58.0.3029.96-1
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree        
Reading state information... Done
E: Version '58.0.3029.96-1' for 'chromium' was not found

I believe this means the old version is no longer available in the repository. So if you want to downgrade you need to have the package stored locally. But where do you find old packages in case you no longer have them in /var/cache/apt/archives?

 

 

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Downgrading specific packages with apt

Dejan Jocic
On 11-06-17, solitone wrote:

> On Sunday, 11 June 2017 08:39:25 CEST Lisi Reisz wrote:
> > please, Solitone, let me and the list know what I am supposed to have said.
>  
> No Lisi, I don't have more info than the list regarding what you supposedly said on this
> topic  :-)
>
> In any case, I've just removed the hold on the 4 chromium packages and upgraded.
> Everything's fine, chromium 59 does not have the issue that chrome 59 has.
>
> In case I had to downgrade, I would have uninstalled those 4 packages, and reinstalled
> version 58 with dpkg, using the .deb files stored in /var/cache/apt/archives.
>
> I'm wonder whether Dejan's suggestion actually works:
> # apt-get install package=package-version-number
> Whenever I try it I always get something like this:
>
> # apt install chromium=58.0.3029.96-1
>
> I believe this means the old version is no longer available in the repository. So if you want
> to downgrade you need to have the package stored locally. But where do you find old
> packages in case you no longer have them in /var/cache/apt/archives?
>
>

In case that you are on stable, perhaps in old stable repository, or its
backports, after you add those to sources.list. Perhaps you will need to
use another option with it too, like --allow-downgrades. I've suggested
it only because you were asking how to do it with apt, otherwise I would
tell you to use dpkg method and to check archives.



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Downgrading specific packages with apt

Fungi4All
In reply to this post by Lisi Reisz

UTC Time: June 11, 2017 7:39 AM

On Sunday 11 June 2017 08:16:11 Fungi4All wrote:
> Below please find Lisi's answer on whether packages should be reverted or
> not.

!! There is nothing there - not surprising since I have never passed an
opinion on any such thing. Does the version that went directly to solitone
have a complete invention by you, that you daren't let the list see since
they would know that I didn't say any such thing?? If so, then please,
Solitone, let me and the list know what I am supposed to have said.

Lisi


What I meant was that since you cared about answering the op's question
you would care to answer it as well.
Your question prompted me to look whether I had answered as I thought I
did, only to see it was a personal response not to the list.
Pretty jumpy, ain't ya?

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Downgrading specific packages with apt

solitone
In reply to this post by Dejan Jocic
On Sunday, 11 June 2017 10:39:25 CEST Dejan Jocic wrote:
> In case that you are on stable, perhaps in old stable repository, or its
> backports, after you add those to sources.list.

No, I'm on stretch, so I'm using the stretch repository:
deb http://ftp.it.debian.org/debian/ stretch main non-free contrib

Since stretch is still in testing, several packages get upgraded regularly. On
of those was chromium, which some days ago was upgraded from ver. 58 to 59. I
believe version 58 now is no longer in the stretch repository, so if you ask
apt to install that version, it doesn't find that.

> I've suggested  it only because you were asking how to do it with apt

Yes, I see, and in fact apt would be my preferred tool, if downgrading were
possible with it.

Thanks!




Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Downgrading specific packages with apt

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI-4
In reply to this post by solitone
On 11-06-2017 05:06, solitone wrote:
> But where do you find old packages in case you no longer
> have them in /var/cache/apt/archives?

http://snapshot.debian.org/


--
A rolling disk gathers no MOS.

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
[hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Downgrading specific packages with apt

Brian
In reply to this post by solitone
On Sun 11 Jun 2017 at 11:13:21 +0200, solitone wrote:

> On Sunday, 11 June 2017 10:39:25 CEST Dejan Jocic wrote:
> > In case that you are on stable, perhaps in old stable repository, or its
> > backports, after you add those to sources.list.
>
> No, I'm on stretch, so I'm using the stretch repository:
> deb http://ftp.it.debian.org/debian/ stretch main non-free contrib
>
> Since stretch is still in testing, several packages get upgraded regularly. On
> of those was chromium, which some days ago was upgraded from ver. 58 to 59. I
> believe version 58 now is no longer in the stretch repository, so if you ask
> apt to install that version, it doesn't find that.

That is correct. But if you change your sources.list to use a suitable
one from snapshot.debian.org it will be found.

> > I've suggested  it only because you were asking how to do it with apt
>
> Yes, I see, and in fact apt would be my preferred tool, if downgrading were
> possible with it.

The incentive to invetigate the suggestion above is probably minimal
because you have solved your issue.

--
Brian.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Downgrading specific packages with apt

solitone
On Sunday, 11 June 2017 20:06:48 CEST Brian wrote:
> if you change your sources.list to use a suitable
> one from snapshot.debian.org it will be found.

I didn't know that, thanks!