Downgrading

Mark Bucciarelli
Is there a safe way to downgrade packages in Debian?

The dpkg man page has the scary warning that no dependency checking is
done and the apt-get man page just says downgrades "must be used with
care."  Heh.

Before I upgrade my functioning testing boxes to Sarge, I would like to
know how to back out the upgrade, if necessary.

Obviously, I can do this:

cd /var/cache/apt/archives
dpkg -i package-1.deb

But how can I be sure that downgrading, for example, from package-2 to
package-1 doesn't break other deb's that depend on package-2?

If there is no such script out there, how might I write one?  There are
hundreds of packages to upgrade.

Re: Downgrading

Brian Nelson
On Wed, Jun 08, 2005 at 11:16:49PM -0400, Mark Bucciarelli wrote:
> Is there a safe way to downgrade packages in Debian?

No.

> The dpkg man page has the scary warning that no dependency checking is
> done and the apt-get man page just says downgrades "must be used with
> care."  Heh.

Hmm, I'd think maintainer scripts would pose the biggest problem, since
they may make backward-incompatible changes.

> Before I upgrade my functioning testing boxes to Sarge, I would like to
> know how to back out the upgrade, if necessary.

The only safe way is to make a full system backup and restore it if
things go wrong.

--
Society is never going to make any progress until we all learn to
pretend to like each other.