Drop gimp & inkscape from the gnome metapackage?

Drop gimp & inkscape from the gnome metapackage?

Jeremy Bicha-5
Hi,

I've been interested for years in dropping gimp and inkscape from the
gnome metapackage. I believe these are the last 2 packages keeping the
gtk2 library in our default install. But more importantly, I don't
think they are needed by most of our users. I think every other app we
offer in the default install is relatively simpler to use (except for
LibreOffice but an office suite is considered basic functionality).

I'm unaware of any other distro making the decision to include those
apps in the default install, at least not in recent releases. Ubuntu
included gimp by default until 10.04 LTS and never included
inkscape by default (except in a relatively unknown "DVD" variation of Ubuntu).

Some people were hesitant about my proposal when I've brought it up
before so I'm asking more directly now so we can agree together about
whether to make this change for Buster.

https://salsa.debian.org/gnome-team/meta-gnome3/merge_requests/2
https://bugs.debian.org/883441

Thanks,
Jeremy Bicha

Re: Drop gimp & inkscape from the gnome metapackage?

Jeremy Bicha-5
On Mon, Nov 5, 2018 at 6:45 AM Jeremy Bicha <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Some people were hesitant about my proposal when I've brought it up
> before so I'm asking more directly now so we can agree together about
> whether to make this change for Buster.

I got no responses so I'm going to go ahead and make this change now.

Thanks,
Jeremy Bicha