Eiffel.

Katipo
Hello,

What's the general consensus on this?

http://www.eiffel.com/general/news/2006/2006_04_05_pr.html

A good move?
Or dangerous?

Re: Eiffel.

Henning Makholm
Scripsit Katipo <[hidden email]>

> What's the general consensus on this?

> http://www.eiffel.com/general/news/2006/2006_04_05_pr.html

The press release ought to have been clearer. It took me about a dozen
clicks from their press release to discover that the unspecified "Open
source license" they talk about is actually the GPL.

However, GPLing of formerly non-free software is always good.

On the other hand, the tarball download located another half-dozen
clicks away contains C files with no GPL blurb at the top, and no file
named COPYING in the tarball. On the other hand, there's also a SVN
download option which I have not tried, but it may be more explicitly
released.

--
Henning Makholm          "Ambiguous cases are defined as those for which the
                       compiler being used finds a legitimate interpretation

Re: Eiffel.

Wouter Verhelst
On Tue, Apr 11, 2006 at 06:29:44PM +0800, Katipo wrote:
> Hello,
>
> What's the general consensus on this?
>
> http://www.eiffel.com/general/news/2006/2006_04_05_pr.html
>
> A good move?
> Or dangerous?
> Regards,

There's nothing wrong with that -- MySQL does the very same thing, and
has been doing so for ages.

--
Fun will now commence

Re: Eiffel.

Kari Pahula-2
On Tue, Apr 11, 2006 at 06:29:44PM +0800, Katipo wrote:
> Hello,
>
> What's the general consensus on this?

If Eiffel Studio is under GPL, then it can be included in Debian.
There isn't really much else to it, as far as Debian is concerned.

There is already an ITP on it: http://bugs.debian.org/361001

Daniel Baumann also wrote about this in his blog:
http://blog.daniel-baumann.ch/2006/04/05

I can assume that Eiffel Software is arguing that anything compiled
with Eiffel Studio is a derived product and needs to be under GPL too.
Not that I've investigated this myself at all.

Re: Eiffel.

Daniel Baumann
Kari Pahula wrote:
> I can assume that Eiffel Software is arguing that anything compiled
> with Eiffel Studio is a derived product and needs to be under GPL too.
> Not that I've investigated this myself at all.

It is correct, parts of the runtime are in every binary, so every binary
is a derivated GPL work of that and must be distributed unter the GPL too.

Nevertheless, as GPL doesn't exclude and ISE (the firm behind
eiffel.com) did not clearly say, you can distribute commercial applications.

--
Address:        Daniel Baumann, Burgunderstrasse 3, CH-4562 Biberist
Email:          [hidden email]

Re: Eiffel.

Florian Weimer
* Kari Pahula:

> I can assume that Eiffel Software is arguing that anything compiled
> with Eiffel Studio is a derived product and needs to be under GPL too.

It seem like software compiled using Eiffel Studio links to the GPLed
run-time library, so such a claim would make a lot of sense.

The situation is a bit different from MySQL, though, because you
normally do not link against the server, only against the client
library, and IIRC, there is still a non-GPLed one which is compatible
with current servers (although the current version of the client
access library is GPLed).

Re: Eiffel.

bkerin

This is pretty exciting, especially for people like me who loved Eiffel
when we were young idealistic students but wandered away due to the
fragmented community and the pain of having to write a wrapper every
time you want to use a library.  Will ISE release the Gtk wrappers they
obviously have and the OpenGL wrappers they presumably do?

If people make a fork to add ++, break, and continue, and everyone uses
them, will B. Meyer finally become slightly less uptight and embrace
them
as well? :)

Britton