Enabling accessibility stack by default in Gtk2

Enabling accessibility stack by default in Gtk2

Samuel Thibault-8
Hello,

As discussed at DebConf [1,2,3], we would like to make the accessibility
stack enabled by default, so that all a user who needs it has to do is
just to start orca (while at the moment she has to find an option in
the control panel, and logout/login again, thus closing all running
applications...).

This is actually already the case for Gtk3-based applications, we would
like to enable it for Gtk2-based applications too.  I feel very safe
about this since the accessibility stack has been maturing in Gtk2 for a
decade now.

The way I see it is simply by making the libatk-adaptor package add gail
and atk-bridge to GTK_MODULES from a script in /etc/X11/Xsession.d.

Is it OK with GTK people?

Samuel

[1] https://summit.debconf.org/debconf15/meeting/290/thanks-for-maintaining-a-desktop-environment-but-is-it-accessible/
[2] http://brl.thefreecat.org/2015-08-22-debconf.pdf
[3] http://brl.thefreecat.org/2015-08-22-debconf.txt

Re: Enabling accessibility stack by default in Gtk2

Emilio Pozuelo Monfort-4
On 30/08/15 18:19, Samuel Thibault wrote:

> Hello,
>
> As discussed at DebConf [1,2,3], we would like to make the accessibility
> stack enabled by default, so that all a user who needs it has to do is
> just to start orca (while at the moment she has to find an option in
> the control panel, and logout/login again, thus closing all running
> applications...).
>
> This is actually already the case for Gtk3-based applications, we would
> like to enable it for Gtk2-based applications too.  I feel very safe
> about this since the accessibility stack has been maturing in Gtk2 for a
> decade now.
>
> The way I see it is simply by making the libatk-adaptor package add gail
> and atk-bridge to GTK_MODULES from a script in /etc/X11/Xsession.d.
>
> Is it OK with GTK people?

Sounds good to me. If problems arise, there's time to fix them or revert the
change (hopefully the former).

Cheers,
Emilio

Emilio Pozuelo Monfort, le Sun 06 Sep 2015 16:38:31 +0200, a écrit :
> On 30/08/15 18:19, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> > The way I see it is simply by making the libatk-adaptor package add gail
> > and atk-bridge to GTK_MODULES from a script in /etc/X11/Xsession.d.
> >
> > Is it OK with GTK people?
>
> Sounds good to me. If problems arise, there's time to fix them or revert the
> change (hopefully the former).

Ok, I have uploaded this in at-spi2-atk, let's see how it goes.

Samuel