Enlarged fonts following gdm et al upgrade

Enlarged fonts following gdm et al upgrade

takisd
Hi

this is a oddly continuing saga related to my now misplaced attempt to
upgrade gdm to 2.20 from sid while running 2.18 under lenny.

i applied the same upgrade to 2 other machines and the results have been
rather strange. the fonts of *everything* seem very enlarged on both
these to other machines.

i have a before shot here:
http://executequery.org/temp/images/gdm-upgrade-screenshot-before.png

...and after shot here:
http://executequery.org/temp/images/gdm-upgrade-screenshot-after.png

if this is purely because i'm mixing my distro branches up when i
probably shouldn't and the packages are simply not ready to play nice
together, then i'm happy to downgrade back to pure lenny - i guess i
don't quite understand why it would happen.

upgrade details was as follows:

capplets-data (1:2.18.1-1) to 1:2.20.1-2
gdm (2.18.4-1) to 2.20.2-1
gnome-control-center (1:2.18.1-1) to 1:2.20.1-2
gnome-session (2.18.3-1) to 2.20.2-1
libgnome-window-settings1 (1:2.18.1-1) to 1:2.20.1-2
libpanel-applet2-0 (2.18.3-2) to 2.20.2-2

suggestions and pointers appreciated.

Takis

Re: Enlarged fonts following gdm et al upgrade

Andrea Vettorello
On Dec 21, 2007 6:12 AM, Takis Diakoumis <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi
>
> this is a oddly continuing saga related to my now misplaced attempt to
> upgrade gdm to 2.20 from sid while running 2.18 under lenny.

[..]

> suggestions and pointers appreciated.

Check the screen DPI, don't know if new Xorg reached testing, anyway
new version calculates it from monitor size and screen resolution
instead of relying on a default fixed value (96 DPI). If it's the
case, you can force the old behaviour or provide the correct values
using the "DisplaySize" variable in your xorg.conf's "Monitor"
section.

--
Andrea

Re: Enlarged fonts following gdm et al upgrade

takisd
i started playing with DPI settings soon after posting this.

hadn't thought to try DisplaySize - wasn't sure of the affect on a
laptop's external screen - which i'm still yet to test (and was
tinkering with some dpi options on gdm and within xorg.conf)

this worked nicely. i'll keep an eye on xorg as it comes into testing
and reassess from there.

this site was especially useful in working out the required values:
http://www.raydreams.com/prog/dpi.aspx

thanks heaps for your help.

Takis