Fail to install stretch to iMac G5

Matti Palmström-2
I have an iMac G5 iSight with a 64-bit PowerPC 970fx that I try to install Stretch to. I have downloaded debian-stretch-DI-rc5-ppc64el-netinst.iso and burned it to a cd and dd'ed it to a usb stick.

Neither is detected by the mac boot thingie when boot with with option key pressed.

I've tried booting through open firmware. By the look of the install media I assume it uses grub these days so I've tried with just

0 > boot usb0,\install

a screen saying "loading XCOFF" flickers by and then I get the circle with the slash. I've also tried \install\vmlinux and many other variants. Anyone know what I've missed?

Regards
/M

Re: Fail to install stretch to iMac G5

John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
Hi Matti!

On 06/17/2017 11:54 PM, Matti Palmström wrote:
> I have an iMac G5 iSight with a 64-bit PowerPC 970fx that I try to install Stretch to. I have
> downloaded debian-stretch-DI-rc5-ppc64el-netinst.iso and burned it to a cd and dd'ed it to a usb stick.

This image will not work on your Macintosh G5, unfortunately. ppc64el is a new
ppc64 port by IBM which is incompatible with old hardware.

Luckily, there is still a way to install Debian on your machine. You can download
a CD image for Debian sid by following the link below:

> http://jenkins.kfreebsd.eu/jenkins/view/cd/job/debian-cd_sid_powerpc/ws/*zip*/workspace.zip

Unzipping this file should give you an ISO image which you can burn to a CD and use
to install your G5 with Debian for powerpc. This will give you a 64-bit kernel (ppc64)
and a 32-bit userland (powerpc).

We will be providing full 64-bit ppc64 installation media in the future which will
have both a 64-bit kernel and a 64-bit userland but work on that hasn't finished
yet, unfortunately.

Cheers,
Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz

Re: Fail to install stretch to iMac G5

Matti Palmström-2
> This image will not work on your Macintosh G5, unfortunately. ppc64el is a new
ppc64 port by IBM which is incompatible with old hardware.

Ooh... I guess was confused because https://www.debian.org/ports/powerpc/#ppc64el says "Here you can find information about the 64-bit PowerPC Little Endian architecture" and links to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ppc64 which made it look like PowerPC 970* was little endian too.

Thanks for the help, now I have the installer going.

Regards
/M

On Sun, Jun 18, 2017 at 12:02 AM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Matti!

On 06/17/2017 11:54 PM, Matti Palmström wrote:
> I have an iMac G5 iSight with a 64-bit PowerPC 970fx that I try to install Stretch to. I have
> downloaded debian-stretch-DI-rc5-ppc64el-netinst.iso and burned it to a cd and dd'ed it to a usb stick.

This image will not work on your Macintosh G5, unfortunately. ppc64el is a new
ppc64 port by IBM which is incompatible with old hardware.

Luckily, there is still a way to install Debian on your machine. You can download
a CD image for Debian sid by following the link below:

> http://jenkins.kfreebsd.eu/jenkins/view/cd/job/debian-cd_sid_powerpc/ws/*zip*/workspace.zip

Unzipping this file should give you an ISO image which you can burn to a CD and use
to install your G5 with Debian for powerpc. This will give you a 64-bit kernel (ppc64)
and a 32-bit userland (powerpc).

We will be providing full 64-bit ppc64 installation media in the future which will
have both a 64-bit kernel and a 64-bit userland but work on that hasn't finished
yet, unfortunately.

Cheers,
Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
: :' :  Debian Developer - [hidden email]
`. `'   Freie Universitaet Berlin - [hidden email]
  `-    GPG: 62FF 8A75 84E0 2956 9546  0006 7426 3B37 F5B5 F913

Problems with Fan - full Speed - Debian Wheezy Powermac G5

richard kuenz-3
Hello ,

i have installed Debian Wheezy on a Powermac G5 Quad.
Unfortunately the Fans do Full Spin quite all the time.

Could someone please indicate me a solution?

Fan/Thermal Control

This problem is solved in the latest builds of Debian Etch and will be
sorted by the time Debian 4.0 is released.

Fans will rev to full speed without proper control. This isn't dangerous
to your system - but it sure is annoying! In the meantime,the fan issue
is solved simply through loading up the correct fan modules and forcing
them to load on startup every time. In the terminal:

{{{sudo -s apt-get install powernowd cd /lib/modules/$(uname
-r)/kernel/drivers/macintosh (ls | cut -d. -f1 | xargs -n1 modprobe)
2>/dev/null lsmod | cut -d" " -f1 | grep windfarm >> /etc/modules exit}}}

Done! Fans should slow down immediately and these modules will now load
automatically for you every time you start up your system

Thank you very much,

Richard

On 18.06.2017 00:32, Matti Palmström wrote:

>  > This image will not work on your Macintosh G5, unfortunately. ppc64el
> is a new
> ppc64 port by IBM which is incompatible with old hardware.
>
> Ooh... I guess was confused because
> https://www.debian.org/ports/powerpc/#ppc64el says "Here you can find
> information about the 64-bit PowerPC Little Endian architecture" and
> links to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ppc64 which made it look like
> PowerPC 970* was little endian too.
>
> Thanks for the help, now I have the installer going.
>
> Regards
> /M
>
> On Sun, Jun 18, 2017 at 12:02 AM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
>
>     Hi Matti!
>
>     On 06/17/2017 11:54 PM, Matti Palmström wrote:
>     > I have an iMac G5 iSight with a 64-bit PowerPC 970fx that I try to install Stretch to. I have
>     > downloaded debian-stretch-DI-rc5-ppc64el-netinst.iso and burned it to a cd and dd'ed it to a usb stick.
>
>     This image will not work on your Macintosh G5, unfortunately.
>     ppc64el is a new
>     ppc64 port by IBM which is incompatible with old hardware.
>
>     Luckily, there is still a way to install Debian on your machine. You
>     can download
>     a CD image for Debian sid by following the link below:
>
>      >
>     http://jenkins.kfreebsd.eu/jenkins/view/cd/job/debian-cd_sid_powerpc/ws/*zip*/workspace.zip
>     <http://jenkins.kfreebsd.eu/jenkins/view/cd/job/debian-cd_sid_powerpc/ws/*zip*/workspace.zip>
>
>     Unzipping this file should give you an ISO image which you can burn
>     to a CD and use
>     to install your G5 with Debian for powerpc. This will give you a
>     64-bit kernel (ppc64)
>     and a 32-bit userland (powerpc).
>
>     We will be providing full 64-bit ppc64 installation media in the
>     future which will
>     have both a 64-bit kernel and a 64-bit userland but work on that
>     hasn't finished
>     yet, unfortunately.
>
>     Cheers,
>     Adrian
>
>     --
>       .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
>     : :' :  Debian Developer - [hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     `. `'   Freie Universitaet Berlin - [hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>
>        `-    GPG: 62FF 8A75 84E0 2956 9546  0006 7426 3B37 F5B5 F913

Re: Problems with Fan - full Speed - Debian Wheezy Powermac G5

richard kuenz-3
I am sorry, the post was not complete,

wanted to say that i tried the command that i took of the Debian
homepage, but unfortunately cannot execute it due to syntax error.

Could someone please show me solution?

Do i just need to "modprobe windfarm" and add it to /etc/modules?

Thank you very much for all your help,

very appreciated.

Richard

On 04.07.2017 22:24, Richard Kuenz wrote:

> [...]
>>     to a CD and use
>>     to install your G5 with Debian for powerpc. This will give you a
>>     64-bit kernel (ppc64)
>>     and a 32-bit userland (powerpc).
>>
>>     We will be providing full 64-bit ppc64 installation media in the
>>     future which will
>>     have both a 64-bit kernel and a 64-bit userland but work on that
>>     hasn't finished
>>     yet, unfortunately.
>>
>>     Cheers,
>>     Adrian
>>
>>     --
>>       .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
>>     : :' :  Debian Developer - [hidden email]
>>     <mailto:[hidden email]>
>>     `. `'   Freie Universitaet Berlin - [hidden email]
>>     <mailto:[hidden email]>
>>        `-    GPG: 62FF 8A75 84E0 2956 9546  0006 7426 3B37 F5B5 F913

Re: Problems with Fan - full Speed - Debian Wheezy Powermac G5

Please do not hijack other threads on the mailing list. Post new issues into new threads!

Thank you!

Adrian

> [...]
>>>

>>>    Unzipping this file should give you an ISO image which you can burn
>>>    to a CD and use
>>>    to install your G5 with Debian for powerpc. This will give you a
>>>    64-bit kernel (ppc64)
>>>    and a 32-bit userland (powerpc).
>>>
>>>    We will be providing full 64-bit ppc64 installation media in the
>>>    future which will
>>>    have both a 64-bit kernel and a 64-bit userland but work on that
>>>    hasn't finished
>>>    yet, unfortunately.
>>>
>>>    Cheers,
>>>    Adrian
>>>
>>>    --
>>>      .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
>>>    : :' :  Debian Developer - [hidden email]
>>>    <mailto:[hidden email]>
>>>    `. `'   Freie Universitaet Berlin - [hidden email]
>>>    <mailto:[hidden email]>
>>>       `-    GPG: 62FF 8A75 84E0 2956 9546  0006 7426 3B37 F5B5 F913

Rick Thomas-14
Hi Adrian!

If there’s anything I, as a tester (I don’t have developer skills) can do to help with this effort, please let me know.  I have access to a couple of G5 PowerMac machines and can get access to an iMac G5 if it will help.

Rick

On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 05:00:23PM -0700, Rick Thomas wrote:
> If there’s anything I, as a tester (I don’t have developer skills)
> can do to help with this effort, please let me know.  I have access to
> a couple of G5 PowerMac machines and can get access to an iMac G5 if
> it will help.

Just be subscribed to the list and wait until we are done with the
ppc64 installer images. Then you will have enough stuff to test ;).

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz