Finalizing a Video DVD

Marc Shapiro-3
I have a DVD recorder hooked up to my TV and antenna. Unfortunately, the
remote for it is non-functional and the option for finalizing the DVD+R
discs is only reachable through the remote.  Why VCR/DVD players and
recorders were designed to not be fully functional without their remote,
I do not know.  I think it's foolish, but no one asked me.

My question is this:  Is there any software in the repository that can
finalize these disks so that I can use them other than on the machine
that created them?  On that machine, these disks play just fine.  I just
can't play them anywhere else.  I don't need to add to them.  I just
want to play them back.

Marc

Re: Finalizing a Video DVD

Thomas Schmitt
Hi,

Marc Shapiro wrote:
> My question is this:  Is there any software in the repository that can
> finalize these disks so that I can use them other than on the machine that
> created them?

It is not clear what your recorder means with "finalizing". It may be
about open tracks (a speciality of DVD+R) or open sessions (DVD-R,
unformatted DVD-RW) or open disc (all three types).

The man page of growisofs also talks of finalizing:

  To finalize the multisession DVD maintaining maximum compatibility:
    growisofs -M /dev/dvd=/dev/zero

But before you try this, put the medium into a computer attached DVD burner
(i assume its address is /dev/sr0) and show the output of

  dvd+rw-mediainfo /dev/sr0 extra | tee -i /tmp/dvd_info.txt

It might become lengthy. So i propose to catch the ouptut in file
  /tmp/dvd_info.txt

Have a nice day :)

Thomas

Re: Finalizing a Video DVD

Curt

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finalize_(optical_discs)

--
“The cradle rocks above an abyss, and common sense tells us that our existence
is but a brief crack of light between two eternities of darkness.”