Firmware list

Lars Roland
Hi all

Is there a complete list somewhere on the net about the firmware that
has been striped from the vanilla Debian kernel. I am having some
performance issues and would like to make sure that these are not
created by crappy driver support. Note, that this is not the time to
start a flameware about the missing firmware, I just want a list of
the drivers where firmware has been removed, google did not seam to
find anything.

Regards.

Lars Roland

Re: Firmware list

Craig Sanders
On Tue, May 24, 2005 at 08:33:34AM +0200, Lars Roland wrote:
> Is there a complete list somewhere on the net about the firmware that
> has been striped from the vanilla Debian kernel. I am having some
> performance issues and would like to make sure that these are not
> created by crappy driver support. Note, that this is not the time to
> start a flameware about the missing firmware, I just want a list of
> the drivers where firmware has been removed, google did not seam to
> find anything.

debian's kernels are butchered for insane ideological reasons. it's not worth
worrying about what's missing, just toss it out and go fetch the original
kernel sources.

don't use the debian-supplied kernel for anything except the initial
install* (this was good advice even before debian started butchering the
kernel, anyway - it's always better to use a custom-compiled kernel than
one of the pre-compiled ones).

1. install kernel-package and all other kernel build tools
2. download original kernel source from kernel.org
3. make config     to configure your kernel
4. make-kpkg ...   to build your own kernel-image .deb

craig

* if the butchered debian kernel wont work for the initial install, your only
choice is to compile a custom kernel on another machine and build your own
installer disk.  there's docs on how to do this somewhere on www.debian.org.

--
craig sanders <[hidden email]>           (part time cyborg)

Re: Firmware list

Jason Lim-2

> debian's kernels are butchered for insane ideological reasons. it's not
worth
> worrying about what's missing, just toss it out and go fetch the
original
> kernel sources.

I know what you mean. It is sad that Debian, great project as it is, is
hampered by this type of political bickering and stuff. I mean, by all
means go with the completely free/open-source/etc. alternative if there is
a good one available (and help/support/donate to it if you can), but if
there is no better alternative, go with what works properly. Sigh... I
guess I'm not "idealistic" enough that I'm willing to compromise
functionality in order to go with "ideals", especially not in a
server/work environment.

> don't use the debian-supplied kernel for anything except the initial
> install* (this was good advice even before debian started butchering the
> kernel, anyway - it's always better to use a custom-compiled kernel than
> one of the pre-compiled ones).
>
> 1. install kernel-package and all other kernel build tools
> 2. download original kernel source from kernel.org
> 3. make config     to configure your kernel
> 4. make-kpkg ...   to build your own kernel-image .deb

I guess it would still be good to know whats been cut out, so you don't
need to do "trial and error" AFTER your server/hardware purchase, and can
at least either buy hardware that the Debian kernel will still work with,
OR just have the knowledge from the start that you're going to have to
custom-build and remake the install disks.

Re: Firmware list

Lars Roland
On 5/24/05, Craig Sanders <[hidden email]> wrote:
> 1. install kernel-package and all other kernel build tools
> 2. download original kernel source from kernel.org
> 3. make config     to configure your kernel
> 4. make-kpkg ...   to build your own kernel-image .deb

I usually build my own kernels using the kernel build system, I have
never tried generating debian kernel images. How well does these self
made kernel debs do if I want to redistribute them to other servers ?
(I got about 12 IBM 335/336 servers, with slightly different hardware
so I want to minimize the amount of kernel images I have to build).

I am guessing that if I use the debian kernel conf as a base and just
build the vanilla source myself then it will boot just fine on all of
my machines.

Regards.

Lars Roland

Re: Firmware list

Craig Sanders
On Tue, May 24, 2005 at 10:32:46AM +0200, Lars Roland wrote:
> On 5/24/05, Craig Sanders <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > 1. install kernel-package and all other kernel build tools
> > 2. download original kernel source from kernel.org
> > 3. make config     to configure your kernel
> > 4. make-kpkg ...   to build your own kernel-image .deb
>
> I usually build my own kernels using the kernel build system, I have
> never tried generating debian kernel images.

it's easy. instead of running "make vmlinuz" or whatever, you just run
"make-kpkg --revision=XXXX kernel_image" and it builds a kernel-image
package for you.

it can also optionally modules packages for you for any debianised module
source untarred in /usr/src/modules (e.g. for alsa, hostap, lirc, i2c,
lmsensors, mgavid, nvidia, and others).

that gives you custom kernel (and module) images under dpkg package
manegement.

> How well does these self made kernel debs do if I want to redistribute
> them to other servers ?

in a word: brilliantly.

use your fastest machine to compile kernels for all your boxes and scp
them to where they're needed...then install with 'dpkg -i'. that's one
of the main reasons i use make-kpkg.

i do this in /usr/local/src/kernels, where i have several kernel source
versions untarred, plus config files for numerous machines.

e.g. a file config-ganesh-2.6.11 is the config file for 2.6.11 for
my current workstation, config-kali-2.6.11 is the config for another
workstation here. in the future when i want to compile 2.6.12 for this
box, i'll untar the new kernel source, and copy config-ganesh-2.6.11
to .config in the kernel source root dir. then run "make oldconfig" to
answer only NEW kernel config questions, followed by "make config" if i
need to change any config items, then "make-kpkg --revision ganesh2.6.12
kernel_image modules_image".

> (I got about 12 IBM 335/336 servers, with slightly different hardware
> so I want to minimize the amount of kernel images I have to build).

either make a custom kernel for each one, or just one kernel which
will work for all of them. if they're mostly the same with only a few
differences, i'd do the latter.

> I am guessing that if I use the debian kernel conf as a base and just
> build the vanilla source myself then it will boot just fine on all of
> my machines.

you could do that, but IMO it would be better to start with a blank
config and customise it precisely for your needs. choose only the
drivers you need (either compiled in or as modules), and eliminate the
ones you don't.

oh, and it's a good idea to compile drivers for a bunch of different
COMMON ethernet cards. if your NIC dies, it's convenient to be able to
just rush out to the nearest computer shop and buy whatever they have to
get the machine up and running again quickly.

craig

--
craig sanders <[hidden email]>           (part time cyborg)

Re: Firmware list

Chris Wagner-7
Interesting, I wasn't aware of a fight going on within Debian.  But alas if
RMS is invovled in it somehow then I can understand. ;)  Is there a website
somewhere that documents this?  Who's deciding what's compiled into and left
out of the Debian kernels?

--
REMEMBER THE WORLD TRADE CENTER         ---=< WTC 911 >=--
"...ne cede males"

Re: Firmware list

arnt (Bugzilla)
On Tue, 24 May 2005 05:50:13 -0400, Chris wrote in message
<[hidden email]>:

> Interesting, I wasn't aware of a fight going on within Debian.  But
> alas if RMS is invovled in it somehow then I can understand. ;)  Is
> there a website somewhere that documents this?  Who's deciding what's
> compiled into and left out of the Debian kernels?

..no worries, it's the tSCOG and Microsoft shills still trying to
pretend there _is_ such a fight, they hope to have FOX flash him by on
the witness stand in the 3 second TV shot they need to cast him as a
pro-Muslim Commie and a grave danger to AmericaHH and Sissy Boy George.

..we have some 5 million people watching this case on
http://groklaw.net, so _no_ worries.  ;o)

  Scenarios always come in sets of three:

Re: Firmware list

Joey Hess
Lars Roland wrote:
> Is there a complete list somewhere on the net about the firmware that
> has been striped from the vanilla Debian kernel. I am having some
> performance issues and would like to make sure that these are not
> created by crappy driver support. Note, that this is not the time to
> start a flameware about the missing firmware, I just want a list of
> the drivers where firmware has been removed, google did not seam to
> find anything.

Take a look at README.Debian.1st.gz in any kernel-image package's
documentation directory.

--
see shy jo

Re: Firmware list

Jason Lim-2

> oh, and it's a good idea to compile drivers for a bunch of different
> COMMON ethernet cards. if your NIC dies, it's convenient to be able to
> just rush out to the nearest computer shop and buy whatever they have to
> get the machine up and running again quickly.

I agree with Craig on this one... I've had cards die before, and its a
real hassle to THEN go and build a new kernel or module to make it work
with a new one, especially if you are doing the work remotely.

Just build in a few of the cheapie cards like the RTL cards, so you can
plug em in. Also, I would recommend compiling in the essentials, like any
RAID drivers you may have, and a few other basics like that. I personally
am more of the monolithic kernel set than modular, probably because I
mostly work with servers with a fixed set of hardware.