Flash Question: Debian on QNAP

Patrick Leibach
Hey Martin,

I have a QNAP TS-212 and successfully flashed Debian to the md3 and md5
to install Debian. I've been using it now, since a while and also
upgraded to Buster.
Now I'd like to fall back on Stretch while installing everything from
the scratch.
I tried to follow your instructions on
http://www.cyrius.com/debian/kirkwood/qnap/ts-219/install/ but
unfortunately the shell scricpt only works in QNAP firmware.
How can I change the script, that it works from Debian
or
How can I manually flash the initd and kernel to the flashblock3 and 5

Thanks for your help
Patrick

Re: Flash Question: Debian on QNAP

Mopox
When you have the possibility to use a serial console (TTL/MAX232):

https://www.cyrius.com/debian/kirkwood/qnap/ts-219/serial/

You can use this steps to recover stretch:

https://www.cyrius.com/debian/kirkwood/qnap/ts-219/uboot/

for that you have to setup a tftp-server and you need to use the following images:

initrd: http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/stretch/main/installer-armel/current/images/kirkwood/network-console/qnap/ts-21x/
kernel: http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/stretch/main/installer-armel/current/images/kirkwood/network-console/qnap/ts-21x/kernel-6282 (TS-212P)

that’s it.

greetings

Re: Flash Question: Debian on QNAP

Martin Michlmayr
* Patrick Leibach <[hidden email]> [2019-08-20 20:13]:
> I tried to follow your instructions on
> http://www.cyrius.com/debian/kirkwood/qnap/ts-219/install/ but
> unfortunately the shell scricpt only works in QNAP firmware.

Yeah, this is a very common complaint/request.  I should either change
the script or at least document the procedure.

Actually, it seems I've documented it already.  So you can simply
follow
https://www.cyrius.com/debian/kirkwood/qnap/ts-219/deinstall/#reinstall

Let me know if that works.

> How can I change the script, that it works from Debian
> or
> How can I manually flash the initd and kernel to the flashblock3 and 5

It's mtdblock1 (kernel) and 2 (ramdisk).  mtd3 is a second ramdisk,
which we never change.  mtd5 is where QNAP OS stores the NAS config,
which we don't change.

BTW, my web page links to the buster images; if you want to install
stretch (why?), you have to change the links.
--
Martin Michlmayr
https://www.cyrius.com/