Freeze SO Linux, it's possible?

Carlos Carrero Gutierrez-2
Hi, i would like to freeze my linux in order to freeze the OS, then,
when I reboot the computer all changes that i made in the computer
dissapears and it returns to the previous OS freezed.

In windows there is something similar, called "Deep Freeze" (it's
freeware).

Somebody could help me?

Thank you very much, I appreciate your help.

Re: Freeze SO Linux, it's possible?

James Kosin-3
Carlos Carrero Gutierrez wrote:

> Hi, i would like to freeze my linux in order to freeze the OS, then,
> when I reboot the computer all changes that i made in the computer
> dissapears and it returns to the previous OS freezed.
>
> In windows there is something similar, called "Deep Freeze" (it's
> freeware).
>
> Somebody could help me?
>
> Thank you very much, I appreciate your help.

Deep Freeze is also available for Linux....

Re: Freeze SO Linux, it's possible?

Izak Burger
On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 6:51 PM, Carlos Carrero Gutierrez
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi, i would like to freeze my linux in order to freeze the OS, then,
> when I reboot the computer all changes that i made in the computer
> dissapears and it returns to the previous OS freezed.

Cross posting is bad netiquette, especially when you are crossing
various different distros not to mention debian-security when it is
not a security issue.

Linux can "suspend to disk" as long as the hardware plays along. Read this:

http://www.linux.com/articles/54610

regards,
Izak

Re: Freeze SO Linux, it's possible?

Sjors Gielen-3
Izak Burger wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 6:51 PM, Carlos Carrero Gutierrez
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi, i would like to freeze my linux in order to freeze the OS, then,
>> when I reboot the computer all changes that i made in the computer
>> dissapears and it returns to the previous OS freezed.
>
> Cross posting is bad netiquette, especially when you are crossing
> various different distros not to mention debian-security when it is
> not a security issue.
>
> Linux can "suspend to disk" as long as the hardware plays along. Read this:

He doesn't mean a suspend to disk, which is what I thought too, first.
He wants to make his installation "frozen", i.e., changes aren't saved
over reboots. I don't know how to do it, but maybe this clears up his
original question.

Sjors

Re: Freeze SO Linux, it's possible?

Hr. Philip Rueegsegger
>Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 18:40:05 +0100
>From: Sjors Gielen <[hidden email]>
>To: Izak Burger <[hidden email]>
>CC: Carlos Carrero Gutierrez <[hidden email]>,
[hidden email]
>Subject: Re: Freeze SO Linux, it's possible?
tests=[GMAIL=1, LDO_WHITELIST=-5]

>Izak Burger wrote:
>> On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 6:51 PM, Carlos Carrero Gutierrez
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi, i would like to freeze my linux in order to freeze the OS, then,
>>> when I reboot the computer all changes that i made in the computer
>>> dissapears and it returns to the previous OS freezed.
>>
>> Cross posting is bad netiquette, especially when you are crossing
>> various different distros not to mention debian-security when it is
>> not a security issue.
>>
>> Linux can "suspend to disk" as long as the hardware plays along. Read this:
>>
>He doesn't mean a suspend to disk, which is what I thought too, first.
>He wants to make his installation "frozen", i.e., changes aren't saved
>over reboots. I don't know how to do it, but maybe this clears up his
>original question.
>
>Sjors

What about unionfs ?

Cheers,
Phibo

>--

System Engineer Unix
B | SOURCE
Phone  +41 44 712 65 14
Mobile +41 79 412 36 40 (for urgent cases)

Re: Freeze SO Linux, it's possible?

Rolf Kutz-2
On 10/12/08 18:40 +0100, Sjors Gielen wrote:

>Izak Burger wrote:
>> On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 6:51 PM, Carlos Carrero Gutierrez
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi, i would like to freeze my linux in order to freeze the OS, then,
>>> when I reboot the computer all changes that i made in the computer
>>> dissapears and it returns to the previous OS freezed.
>>
>> Cross posting is bad netiquette, especially when you are crossing
>> various different distros not to mention debian-security when it is
>> not a security issue.
>>
>> Linux can "suspend to disk" as long as the hardware plays along. Read this:
>>
>He doesn't mean a suspend to disk, which is what I thought too, first.
>He wants to make his installation "frozen", i.e., changes aren't saved
>over reboots. I don't know how to do it, but maybe this clears up his
>original question.
IIRC there is some kind of snapshot mode in
Tuxonice and devicemapper which could be used for
that.

regards, Rolf
--
... Vanity asks the question, 'Is it popular?' ...

Re: Freeze SO Linux, it's possible?

Sjors Gielen-3
Hr. Philip Rueegsegger wrote:

Your cloning of my headers scare me!

>> He doesn't mean a suspend to disk, which is what I thought too, first.
>> He wants to make his installation "frozen", i.e., changes aren't saved
>> over reboots. I don't know how to do it, but maybe this clears up his
>> original question.
>>
>> Sjors
>
> What about unionfs ?

My first thought indeed. Only with a tmpfs, which would require enough
RAM. Seems like some people have been trying in the past. Or, Carlos,
find out how a live CD root filesystem is mounted, I don't know that.

Good luck, and please let me know if it worked.
Sjors

On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 7:40 PM, Sjors Gielen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> He doesn't mean a suspend to disk, which is what I thought too, first.
> He wants to make his installation "frozen", i.e., changes aren't saved
> over reboots. I don't know how to do it, but maybe this clears up his
> original question.

Aaah ok. Well, then something like what knoppix does, with a read only
filesystem containing the original, a second read-write file system
for modifications (knoppix uses a tmpfs ie stores it in RAM) and
unionfs over the two. Certainly possible.