Full Disk (or Disk Space) Notification ?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Full Disk (or Disk Space) Notification ?

ROBERTOJIMENOCA@terra.es
I'd like to know when the disk space is almost going to be filled up, just like Windows XP does in a popup notification.
Is there a standard way to do that in gnome 2.12 in unstable?
Why is that popup not active by default like Windows XP?




Prueba el Nuevo Correo Terra; Seguro, Rápido, Fiable.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Full Disk (or Disk Space) Notification ?

Luis Mondesi
Hello,

This is now done by Gnome 2.13. But I don't think there is a Debian
package for that yet. The new release of Ubuntu (Dapper) will have it
on (to be released this March).

I'm using that now with the Xgl server enabled as well as other
wonderfull things ...

You might see that in Debian next year, when the next stable release
is completed.

On 2/26/06, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'd like to know when the disk space is almost going to be filled up, just like Windows XP does in a popup notification.
> Is there a standard way to do that in gnome 2.12 in unstable?
> Why is that popup not active by default like Windows XP?

--
----)(-----
Luis Mondesi
System Administrator
Kiskeyix.org

"We think basically you watch television to turn your brain off, and
you work on your computer when you want to turn your brain on" --
Steve Jobs in an interview for MacWorld Magazine 2004-Feb

No .doc: http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.es.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Full Disk (or Disk Space) Notification ?

ROBERTOJIMENOCA@terra.es
In reply to this post by ROBERTOJIMENOCA@terra.es
Luis M wrote:
> This is now done by Gnome 2.13. But I don't think there is a Debian
> package for that yet. The new release of Ubuntu (Dapper) will have it
> on (to be released this March).
>
> I'm using that now with the Xgl server enabled as well as other
> wonderful things ...

I don't care too much about Xgl server.
For me usability and productivity goes first, rather that eye candy.

> You might see that in Debian next year, when the next stable release
> is completed.

So, If I want this feature either I move to Ubuntu or I start compiling
my own GNOME 2.13 Debian packages, right?

> On 2/26/06, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I'd like to know when the disk space is almost going to be filled up, just like Windows XP does in a popup notification.
> > Is there a standard way to do that in gnome 2.12 in unstable?
> > Why is that popup not active by default like Windows XP?



Prueba el Nuevo Correo Terra; Seguro, Rápido, Fiable.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Full Disk (or Disk Space) Notification ?

Sjoerd Simons-2
On Mon, Feb 27, 2006 at 06:15:45PM +0100, [hidden email] wrote:

> Luis M wrote:
> > This is now done by Gnome 2.13. But I don't think there is a Debian
> > package for that yet. The new release of Ubuntu (Dapper) will have it
> > on (to be released this March).
> >
> > I'm using that now with the Xgl server enabled as well as other
> > wonderful things ...
>
> I don't care too much about Xgl server.
> For me usability and productivity goes first, rather that eye candy.
>
> > You might see that in Debian next year, when the next stable release
> > is completed.
>
> So, If I want this feature either I move to Ubuntu or I start compiling
> my own GNOME 2.13 Debian packages, right?

Gnome 2.13/2.14 should enter debian experimental quite soon (can't give an ETA
though), unstable hopefully shortly after the release and testing some time
after that.

If you only want to run debian stable, you should indeed wait for the next
release or switch to something else... Compiling on debian stable is probably
not something you want to do, because it's a lot more then just gnome :)

  Sjoerd
--
You climb to reach the summit, but once there, discover that all roads
lead down.
                -- Stanislaw Lem, "The Cyberiad"


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Full Disk (or Disk Space) Notification ?

Luis Mondesi
In reply to this post by ROBERTOJIMENOCA@terra.es
Hello Roberto,

On 2/27/06, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Luis M wrote:
> > This is now done by Gnome 2.13. But I don't think there is a Debian
> > package for that yet. The new release of Ubuntu (Dapper) will have it
> > on (to be released this March).
> >
> > I'm using that now with the Xgl server enabled as well as other
> > wonderful things ...
>
> I don't care too much about Xgl server.
> For me usability and productivity goes first, rather that eye candy.

Hold your horses. I was just trying to help. What I said is that "I"
had them enabled. Not that you need it or that everybody else should.
Xgl is really buggy at this moment and not for production, or general
consumption use, yet -- and that might take a long while as well. I
run very stable boxes for workstations (Sarge,Breezy), very stable
boxes for server stuff (Sarge), and other kinds of things for dev
boxes (experimental, unstable, dapper).

Usability and productivity is defined accordingly with the beliefs of
the person you ask. For me is very "usable" to have a desktop that
matches what my brain understands as "objects". Xgl gives some of that
by allowing things to look right (fooling the brain into thinking that
they are actually objects with physical properties). Productivity with
Xgl? probably down the drain if you keep spinning that nice 3d cube
all day long ;-) But the same goes if you have mutt install in your
computer, or if you use vi to read files. (unless you are a well
versed computer person, in which case you would argue that vi let's
you be more productive than OOo or that mutt is more productive than
Evolution/Kmail or whatever). Or if you keep games in your
"production" boxes (solitare, minesweeper, whatever, people get fired
from jobs for playing those all the time).

> > You might see that in Debian next year, when the next stable release
> > is completed.
>
> So, If I want this feature either I move to Ubuntu or I start compiling
> my own GNOME 2.13 Debian packages, right?

Right, but if you are serious about your stable boxes, you would just
wait for a few more years until Etch is released and -r1 revision of
it is released. Then it will be really rock solid.

Instead of compiling Gnome, you might want to join the pkg-gnome dev
mailing list(s) and start submitting patches to them for whatever
things they need done. That will surely make your disk checks get to
your stable box faster. ;-)

--
----)(-----
Luis Mondesi
System Administrator
Kiskeyix.org

"We think basically you watch television to turn your brain off, and
you work on your computer when you want to turn your brain on" --
Steve Jobs in an interview for MacWorld Magazine 2004-Feb

No .doc: http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.es.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Full Disk (or Disk Space) Notification ?

ROBERTOJIMENOCA@terra.es
In reply to this post by ROBERTOJIMENOCA@terra.es
Sjoerd Simons wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 27, 2006 at 06:15:45PM +0100, [hidden email] wrote:
> > Luis M wrote:
> > > This is now done by Gnome 2.13. But I don't think there is a Debian
> > > package for that yet. The new release of Ubuntu (Dapper) will have it
> > > on (to be released this March).
> > >
> > > I'm using that now with the Xgl server enabled as well as other
> > > wonderful things ...
> >
> > I don't care too much about Xgl server.
> > For me usability and productivity goes first, rather that eye candy.
> >
> > > You might see that in Debian next year, when the next stable release
> > > is completed.
> >
> > So, If I want this feature either I move to Ubuntu or I start compiling
> > my own GNOME 2.13 Debian packages, right?
>
> Gnome 2.13/2.14 should enter Debian experimental quite soon (can't give an ETA
> though), unstable hopefully shortly after the release and testing some time
> after that.

What about using:
http://pkg-gnome.alioth.debian.org/
for keeping meanwhile the new packages?

There are totally deprecated stuff there that should be removed anyway
to prevent any confusion.

> If you only want to run Debian stable, you should indeed wait for the next
> release or switch to something else... Compiling on Debian stable is probably
> not something you want to do, because it's a lot more then just gnome :)

I'm using unstable and experimental because I like to report and fix bugs.



Prueba el Nuevo Correo Terra; Seguro, Rápido, Fiable.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Full Disk (or Disk Space) Notification ?

Sjoerd Simons-2
On Tue, Feb 28, 2006 at 01:15:15AM +0100, [hidden email] wrote:

> Sjoerd Simons wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 27, 2006 at 06:15:45PM +0100, [hidden email] wrote:
> > > Luis M wrote:
> > > > This is now done by Gnome 2.13. But I don't think there is a Debian
> > > > package for that yet. The new release of Ubuntu (Dapper) will have it
> > > > on (to be released this March).
> > > >
> > > > I'm using that now with the Xgl server enabled as well as other
> > > > wonderful things ...
> > >
> > > I don't care too much about Xgl server.
> > > For me usability and productivity goes first, rather that eye candy.
> > >
> > > > You might see that in Debian next year, when the next stable release
> > > > is completed.
> > >
> > > So, If I want this feature either I move to Ubuntu or I start compiling
> > > my own GNOME 2.13 Debian packages, right?
> >
> > Gnome 2.13/2.14 should enter Debian experimental quite soon (can't give an ETA
> > though), unstable hopefully shortly after the release and testing some time
> > after that.
>
> What about using:
> http://pkg-gnome.alioth.debian.org/
> for keeping meanwhile the new packages?

That's normally only used when new stuff takes a long time to go through the
NEW queue. The problem is not that we don't want to upload to experimental
currently, just that nobody got around to packaging the new stuff yet :)
 
> There are totally deprecated stuff there that should be removed anyway
> to prevent any confusion.

Good point.

  Sjoerd
--
"Consider a spherical bear, in simple harmonic motion..."
                -- Professor in the UCB physics department


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]