Fwd: Default Gnome theme

Indraveni
Hi,

 Nobody there who can give a solution for my problem?
Please need help.

Waiting for reply

Regards
Indraveni

Note: forwarded message attached.

      Add online presence to your web pages, find out how here - http://messenger.yahoo.com/addpresence.php

Hi,

I am working for a Debian based distribution and thus
I want to add a new gnome-theme into the gnome-themes
and make it as default theme, once I install my
distribution.
For this I have done the following procedure, but its
not working. Someone please guide me, where I have
done mistake.

I created icon-theme, gtk and the metacity theme, and
created the my own gnome-theme name bossblue-theme,
which copies the gtk, metacity and the icon theme
contents into their respective folders in my distro.
And created the debian package. This is installing the
new theme well without any problem, but its just
coming in the list of the themes in the theme-manager
of gnome. But not coming as default theme. as usual
the default theme is Simple appeared in my desktop
after installation.
So, I edited the rules file by adding a line like:
    dh_gconf --priority 20

and added a file name gconf-defaults in the debian
folder whose content is

/desktop/gnome/interface/gtk_theme BossBlue
/desktop/gnome/interface/icon_theme gnome
/apps/metacity/general/theme BossBlue

But this process also, dint work for me to make my
theme as default theme.

Some one please guide me how I should proceed or where
I went wrong. please.

Awaiting for the reply.

Thanks & Regards,
Indraveni K,
Project Engineer,
CDAC - Chennai,
INDIA.

Re: Default Gnome theme

Ariszló
This might help:
http://www.gnome.org/learn/admin-guide/latest/gconf-9.html

Re: Default Gnome theme

Indraveni
Hi,

 Thankyou for the link. It helped me for my need. But I have some doubt regarding this.
Instead of creating another file name gconf-defaults, I added the following lines in the postinst script under the debian folder,

gconftool-2 --type string   --set  /desktop/gnome/interface/gtk_theme BossBlue
gconftool-2 --type string   --set  /desktop/gnome/interface/icon_theme gnome
gconftool-2 --type string   --set  /apps/metacity/general/theme BossBlue

But the problem is, when I excuted the above commands at the shell prompt, it worked fine, but next time when I tried with another theme name, then it started displaying the error message like,

Can't overwrite existing read-only value: Can't overwrite existing read-only value: Value for `/apps/metacity/general/theme' set in a read-only source at the front of your configuration path

This may be because I dint add any option like
--config-source xml:readwrite:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.mandatory
but, this will update the default gnome values in /etc/gconf/gconf.xml.mandatory file  but not in the /root/.gconf/desktop/gnome/interface/. Then will it be helpful if I change only in the gconf.xml.manadatory file.

And for this the command that I would use will be something like  gconftool-2 --direct   --config-source xml:readwrite:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.mandatory   --type string   --set /desktop/gnome/interface/icon_theme gnomegtk_theme BossBlue

So,

1) Am I following the correct procedure?
2) If I edit the /etc/gconf/gconf.xml.mandatory file alone, then will it be helpful?

Thankyou
Indraveni

Ariszló <[hidden email]> wrote:
This might help:
http://www.gnome.org/learn/admin-guide/latest/gconf-9.html

SHOUT IT OUT! Tell everyone, from anywhere, that you're online on Yahoo! Messenger

Re: Default Gnome theme

Josselin Mouette
Le jeudi 26 avril 2007 à 06:35 +0100, Indraveni a écrit :
> 1) Am I following the correct procedure?

No. I have already explained to you the correct procedure, several
times. You have to use dh_gconf if you don't want to break everything.
The gconf-defaults files were introduced for *exactly* this kind of
needs.

If you still have trouble making it work, you should ask more explicit
questions, rather than saying "it doesn't work". If you have really no
idea of what's happening, you should put your work on a public place and
ask for help.

> 2) If I edit the /etc/gconf/gconf.xml.mandatory file alone, then will
> it be helpful?

No.

--
 .''`.
: :' :      We are debian.org. Lower your prices, surrender your code.

Re: Default Gnome theme

Indraveni
Hi,

  I understood the method of dh_gconf, and as per the procedure, when I installed my new theme after adding the gconf_defaults and calling it from the rules file, there is a file created under the  /usr/share/gconf/defaults/ with the name 20_bossblue (bossblue is my theme name), but this has to get executed through the command  update-gconf-defaults, through the postinst script. But I am not knowing the method how to write in the postinst script.

And when I manually tried to execute the  update-gconf-defaults command from the shell prompt, it dint show any affect in my themes i.e it dint execute the 20_bossblue file under the /usr/share/gconf/defaults/.  I think there is something that I am missing.

Please let me know, what I missed or when I am wrong.

Thanks & Regards
Indraveni

Josselin Mouette <[hidden email]> wrote:
Le jeudi 26 avril 2007 à 06:35 +0100, Indraveni a écrit :
> 1) Am I following the correct procedure?

No. I have already explained to you the correct procedure, several
times. You have to use dh_gconf if you don't want to break everything.
The gconf-defaults files were introduced for *exactly* this kind of
needs.

If you still have trouble making it work, you should ask more explicit
questions, rather than saying "it doesn't work". If you have really no
idea of what's happening, you should put your work on a public place and
ask for help.

> 2) If I edit the /etc/gconf/gconf.xml.mandatory file alone, then will
> it be helpful?

No.

--
.''`.

Le lundi 30 avril 2007 à 05:32 +0100, Indraveni a écrit :

> Hi,
>
>   I understood the method of dh_gconf, and as per the procedure, when
> I installed my new theme after adding the gconf_defaults and calling
> it from the rules file, there is a file created under
> the  /usr/share/gconf/defaults/ with the name 20_bossblue (bossblue is
> my theme name), but this has to get executed through the command
> update-gconf-defaults, through the postinst script. But I am not
> knowing the method how to write in the postinst script.
>
> And when I manually tried to execute the  update-gconf-defaults
> command from the shell prompt, it dint show any affect in my themes
> i.e it dint execute the 20_bossblue file under
> the /usr/share/gconf/defaults/.  I think there is something that I am
> missing.
>
> Please let me know, what I missed or when I am wrong.

How could we have an idea of what's going wrong? It seems you followed
the correct procedure - you don't need to write the postinst yourself,
it's automatic - but no one will be able to say more when all the
information you give is "it doesn't work".

--
 .''`.
: :' :      We are debian.org. Lower your prices, surrender your code.
`. `'       We will add your hardware and software distinctiveness to
  `-        our own. Resistance is futile.

Re: Default Gnome theme

Loïc Minier
On Mon, Apr 30, 2007, Indraveni wrote:
> And when I manually tried to execute the  update-gconf-defaults
> command from the shell prompt, it dint show any affect in my themes
> i.e it dint execute the 20_bossblue file under the
> /usr/share/gconf/defaults/.  I think there is something that I am
> missing.

 Files in /usr/share/gconf/defaults/ are compiled into
 /var/lib/gconf/debian.defaults by update-gconf-defaults; you can double
 check whether this update happened.

 /var/lib/gconf/debian.defaults is referenced in the gconf path, see
 /etc/gconf/2/path.

 Check whether the GConf settings are in effect with gconf-editor or
 gconftool from your GNOME session.

--
Loïc Minier

Re: Default Gnome theme

Indraveni
Thankyou for this mail. I double checked the paths
which you mentioned about
(var/lib/gconf/debian/defaults/%gconf...xml file and
in everything I am able to see my modifications
getting affected when I installed my newly created
debian package. But the theme is not getting replaced
with my new theme. Even I restarted my system and
checked. still the theme remains the same old one
which was there before I install my package.

the gconf-editor is showing the values of the previuos
theme only, i.e Clearlooks theme (which is the debian
default theme).

Is there anything else that I need to modify?

Regards
Indraveni

--- Loïc Minier <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 30, 2007, Indraveni wrote:
> > And when I manually tried to execute the
> update-gconf-defaults
> > command from the shell prompt, it dint show any
> affect in my themes
> > i.e it dint execute the 20_bossblue file under the
> > /usr/share/gconf/defaults/.  I think there is
> something that I am
> > missing.
>
>  Files in /usr/share/gconf/defaults/ are compiled
> into
>  /var/lib/gconf/debian.defaults by
> update-gconf-defaults; you can double
>  check whether this update happened.
>
>  /var/lib/gconf/debian.defaults is referenced in the
> gconf path, see
>  /etc/gconf/2/path.
>
>  Check whether the GConf settings are in effect with
> gconf-editor or
>  gconftool from your GNOME session.
>
> --
> Loïc Minier

      Send a FREE SMS to your friend's mobile from Yahoo! Messenger. Get it now at http://in.messenger.yahoo.com/

Re: Default Gnome theme

Loïc Minier
On Fri, May 04, 2007, Indraveni wrote:
> Thankyou for this mail. I double checked the paths
> which you mentioned about
> (var/lib/gconf/debian/defaults/%gconf...xml file and
> in everything I am able to see my modifications
> getting affected when I installed my newly created
> debian package.

 This suggests that the default value would work, probably for new
 users.

>                 But the theme is not getting replaced
> with my new theme. Even I restarted my system and
> checked. still the theme remains the same old one
> which was there before I install my package.

 Probably this user has a setting taking precedence in his GConf path,
 such as having already set the value.

 Check whether it affects a fresh new user, check each element of the
 GConf path to see where the incorrect value comes from.

--
Loïc Minier

Re: Default Gnome theme

Pirate Praveen
2007/5/4, Indraveni <[hidden email]>:

> the gconf-editor is showing the values of the previuos
> theme only, i.e Clearlooks theme (which is the debian
> default theme).
>
> Is there anything else that I need to modify?

You might want to try deleting .gconf and .gconfd  directories from
your home directory and then logout and login.

Cheers
Praveen
--
പ്രവീണ്‍ അരിമ്പ്രത്തൊടിയില്‍