Fwd: Looking for a small NAS that runs Debian well

Fwd: Looking for a small NAS that runs Debian well

Rogério Brito-3
Apparently, the message that I sent below via mutt and my ISP wasn't
delivered for some reason.

I'm resending it.

Thanks,

Rogério.

Re: Fwd: Looking for a small NAS that runs Debian well

Uwe Kleine-König-7
Hello Rogério,

On 12/13/2017 02:35 AM, Rogério Brito wrote:

> I would like to find a substitute to my KuroBox Pro, which is an armel-based
> NAS.  Here is its summary:
>
> * An Orion processor running at 400MHz
> * 128MB of RAM
> * a slot for one 3.5" SATA HDD
> * gigabit ethernet
> * 2 USB 2.0 ports
>
> That's essentially it. It works running Linux without *any* binary blob and
> it is supported by the upstream Linux kernel.
>
> Unfortunately, Debian is starting to show that it is old. In particular,
> there is constant swapping when serving my video collection via DLNA
> (minidlna) and the kernel has even found some problems allocating memory for
> the network device. :-( Besides DLNA, I intend to use it as an NFS and Samba
> server. If I can run a printer spooler, then that will be nice, but it's not
> required.
>
> I still intend to keep running it while I don't find a replacement for it,
> but I would love to find something that is robust, that can run Debian and
> that has low power consumption.
>
> I don't care so much if I have to use some binary blobs, as long as the blob
> is purely firmware (e.g., if the NAS needed something from the firmware-*
> packages, I'd be OK with that), it is fully supported by Debian, and I can
> recompile things if something in Debian stops working.
>
> Is there anything similar to what I described above and that is a bit more
> powerful? I don't particularly care what architecture it runs.
I have a Netgear ReadyNAS 104 running here. It's little brother ReadyNAS
102 might be suitable. It is not completely blobfree: The bootloader
shipped on that machine has a blob for RAM initialization. Mainline
U-Boot could handle that. I didn't check the updates shipped by Netgear,
but I'd be surprised if they dropped the blob.

The 102 has 512 MiB RAM, 2x 3.5" bay, 1x eSATA, 1x GBit eth, 1x usb2, 2x
usb3. (Compared to that, the 104 has 4 bays, 2x eth and a display (that
is unsupported in mainline linux).)

Note the newer ReadyNAS 21x have a different processor that last time I
checked didn't have mainline Linux support.

Best regards
Uwe

Re: Fwd: Looking for a small NAS that runs Debian well

Stefan Monnier
> I would like to find a substitute to my KuroBox Pro, which is an armel-based
> NAS.  Here is its summary:

> * An Orion processor running at 400MHz
> * 128MB of RAM
> * a slot for one 3.5" SATA HDD
> * gigabit ethernet
> * 2 USB 2.0 ports

You might like to check https://wiki.debian.org/CheapServerBoxHardware

I use a Banana Pi and an Orange Pi mini (more or less the same) and they
work fine with Debian's mainline kernel.  Support for video and 3d
acceleration is still problematic, but for a server box it's usually
a non-issue.

With a 2½" 2TB HDD the whole consumes about 5W (measured at the mains).
For a 3½ HDD you'll probably need to provide the HDD power separately, tho.

        Stefan

Re: Fwd: Looking for a small NAS that runs Debian well

Rob J. Epping-3
Hi Rogério,

On 12/13/17 02:35, Rogério Brito wrote:

> Dear people,
>
> I would like to find a substitute to my KuroBox Pro, which is an armel-based
> NAS.  Here is its summary:
>
> * An Orion processor running at 400MHz
> * 128MB of RAM
> * a slot for one 3.5" SATA HDD
> * gigabit ethernet
> * 2 USB 2.0 ports
>
> That's essentially it. It works running Linux without *any* binary blob and
> it is supported by the upstream Linux kernel.
>
> Unfortunately, Debian is starting to show that it is old. In particular,
> there is constant swapping when serving my video collection via DLNA
> (minidlna) and the kernel has even found some problems allocating memory for
> the network device. :-( Besides DLNA, I intend to use it as an NFS and Samba
> server. If I can run a printer spooler, then that will be nice, but it's not
> required.
>
> I still intend to keep running it while I don't find a replacement for it,
> but I would love to find something that is robust, that can run Debian and
> that has low power consumption.
>
> I don't care so much if I have to use some binary blobs, as long as the blob
> is purely firmware (e.g., if the NAS needed something from the firmware-*
> packages, I'd be OK with that), it is fully supported by Debian, and I can
> recompile things if something in Debian stops working.
>
> Is there anything similar to what I described above and that is a bit more
> powerful? I don't particularly care what architecture it runs.

My home server/NAS is a QNAP TS-221, which has:
- 1 core Kirkwood @ 2Ghz (armel)
- 1GB RAM
- 2* 3.5" hotplug bay
- 2* eSATA
- 1* 1Gbps ethernet
- 1* USB 2.0 front
- 2* USB 3.0 back
all details: https://www.qnap.com/en/product/ts-221/specs/hardware

Is supported by Debian without additional repo's but does require some
blobs from firmware-*

Martin Michlmayr has details on how to install debian on this machine at
http://www.cyrius.com/debian/kirkwood/qnap/ts-219/

I had some stability issues running more recent kernels, see list archives.

GRTNX,
RobJE