Fwd: Working 3D acceleration on IBM ThinkPad T23 ;-)

Fwd: Working 3D acceleration on IBM ThinkPad T23 ;-)

Martin Steigerwald

Hello,

well maybe this is of interest here to:

Its an easy description on how to setup 3D acceleration for any IBM
ThinkPad T23 user using Etch/Sid who has not yet setup 3D. According to a
posting of Nate Bargmann on the linux thinkpad mailing list this works
also with a T42 when using the radeon snapshot instead. Nate also
observed:

" I notice that with udev and the stock Debian 2.6.14 kernel (Sid)
starting Xorg 6.9 automatically loads the savage and drm modules on the
T23 and the radeon and drm modules on the T42."

Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 22:42:13 -0600
Subject: Re: [ltp] Fwd: Working 3D acceleration on IBM ThinkPad T23 ;-)

On the T23 it needed a complete reboot not only a X server reload till the
driver worked. Before that glxgears and glxinfo both gave a segmentation
fault.

Have a Happy New Year!!

Regards,
Martin

Re: Fwd: Working 3D acceleration on IBM ThinkPad T23 ;-)

Nate Bargmann
* Martin Steigerwald <[hidden email]> [2006 Jan 01 15:25 -0600]:

> Hello,
>
> well maybe this is of interest here to:
>
> Its an easy description on how to setup 3D acceleration for any IBM
> ThinkPad T23 user using Etch/Sid who has not yet setup 3D. According to a
> posting of Nate Bargmann on the linux thinkpad mailing list this works
> also with a T42 when using the radeon snapshot instead. Nate also
> observed:
>
> " I notice that with udev and the stock Debian 2.6.14 kernel (Sid)
> starting Xorg 6.9 automatically loads the savage and drm modules on the
> T23 and the radeon and drm modules on the T42."

I might as well followup here too!

The xlibmesa-dri package in Sid provides the necessary radeon_dri.so
file and places it in the right place.  It supports several other
cards, but not the savage (yet), unfortunately.

3D with the new Xorg 6.9 and linux 2.6.14 is now entirely painless
(with a supported chipset see http://dri.freedesktop.org).  My nvidia
based desktop is not as well supported, so I'm thinking of a Radeon
card for it.

:-)

- Nate >>

--
 Wireless | Amateur Radio Station N0NB          |  Successfully Microsoft
  Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @  | free since January 1998.

Re: Fwd: Working 3D acceleration on IBM ThinkPad T23 ;-)

Nate Bargmann
* Nate Bargmann <[hidden email]> [2006 Jan 01 17:59 -0600]:

> * Martin Steigerwald <[hidden email]> [2006 Jan 01 15:25 -0600]:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > well maybe this is of interest here to:
> >
> > Its an easy description on how to setup 3D acceleration for any IBM
> > ThinkPad T23 user using Etch/Sid who has not yet setup 3D. According to a
> > posting of Nate Bargmann on the linux thinkpad mailing list this works
> > also with a T42 when using the radeon snapshot instead. Nate also
> > observed:
> >
> > " I notice that with udev and the stock Debian 2.6.14 kernel (Sid)
> > starting Xorg 6.9 automatically loads the savage and drm modules on the
> > T23 and the radeon and drm modules on the T42."
>
> I might as well followup here too!
>
> The xlibmesa-dri package in Sid provides the necessary radeon_dri.so
> file and places it in the right place.  It supports several other
> cards, but not the savage (yet), unfortunately.

Let me add that as of today, Jan 2, 2006, that installing the
libgl1-mesa-dri package will remove the xlibmesa-gl package, but won't
break Xorg like a couple of days ago.  The savage_dri.so file is
provided by libgl1-mesa-dri and performance is unchanged from the
manual installation method on my T23.

Painless 3D on the T23!

- Nate >>

--
 Wireless | Amateur Radio Station N0NB          |  Successfully Microsoft
  Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @  | free since January 1998.
             http://www.qsl.net/n0nb/           |  "Debian, the choice of
             My Kawasaki KZ-650 SR @            |     a GNU generation!"
        http://www.networksplus.net/n0nb/       |   http://www.debian.org

Re: [ltp] Re: Fwd: Working 3D acceleration on IBM ThinkPad T23 ;-)

Martin Steigerwald
Am Dienstag 03 Januar 2006 05:24 schrieb Nate Bargmann:

> > The xlibmesa-dri package in Sid provides the necessary radeon_dri.so
> > file and places it in the right place.  It supports several other
> > cards, but not the savage (yet), unfortunately.
>
> Let me add that as of today, Jan 2, 2006, that installing the
> libgl1-mesa-dri package will remove the xlibmesa-gl package, but won't
> break Xorg like a couple of days ago.  The savage_dri.so file is
> provided by libgl1-mesa-dri and performance is unchanged from the
> manual installation method on my T23.
>
> Painless 3D on the T23!

Hello,

does anyone know the reason for those different DRI driver packages and
the reason, why savage is not included in xlibmesa-dri?

GPG: 03B0 0D6C 0040 0710 4AFA  B82F 991B EAAC A599 84C7

Re: [ltp] Re: Fwd: Working 3D acceleration on IBM ThinkPad T23 ;-)

Nate Bargmann
* Martin Steigerwald <[hidden email]> [2006 Jan 05 05:41 -0600]:

> Am Dienstag 03 Januar 2006 05:24 schrieb Nate Bargmann:
>
> > > The xlibmesa-dri package in Sid provides the necessary radeon_dri.so
> > > file and places it in the right place.  It supports several other
> > > cards, but not the savage (yet), unfortunately.
> >
> > Let me add that as of today, Jan 2, 2006, that installing the
> > libgl1-mesa-dri package will remove the xlibmesa-gl package, but won't
> > break Xorg like a couple of days ago.  The savage_dri.so file is
> > provided by libgl1-mesa-dri and performance is unchanged from the
> > manual installation method on my T23.
> >
> > Painless 3D on the T23!
>
> Hello,
>
> does anyone know the reason for those different DRI driver packages and
> the reason, why savage is not included in xlibmesa-dri?

There is an existing Debian bug report on just this issue:

The last comment seems to state authoratively, "libgl1-mesa-dri comes
from the mesa source package, not xorg-x11."

I'm not willing to download the entirety of Xorg 6.9 just to verfiy
this claim.  At least a package exists and one does not have to resort
to manually locating and installing a file not compiled with the rest
of the system.

- Nate >>

--
 Wireless | Amateur Radio Station N0NB          |  Successfully Microsoft
  Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @  | free since January 1998.
             http://www.qsl.net/n0nb/           |  "Debian, the choice of
             My Kawasaki KZ-650 SR @            |     a GNU generation!"
        http://www.networksplus.net/n0nb/       |   http://www.debian.org

Re: [ltp] Re: Fwd: Working 3D acceleration on IBM ThinkPad T23 ;-)

Alex Deucher
On 1/5/06, Martin Steigerwald <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am Dienstag 03 Januar 2006 05:24 schrieb Nate Bargmann:
>
> > > The xlibmesa-dri package in Sid provides the necessary radeon_dri.so
> > > file and places it in the right place.  It supports several other
> > > cards, but not the savage (yet), unfortunately.
> >
> > Let me add that as of today, Jan 2, 2006, that installing the
> > libgl1-mesa-dri package will remove the xlibmesa-gl package, but won't
> > break Xorg like a couple of days ago.  The savage_dri.so file is
> > provided by libgl1-mesa-dri and performance is unchanged from the
> > manual installation method on my T23.
> >
> > Painless 3D on the T23!
>
> Hello,
>
> does anyone know the reason for those different DRI driver packages and
> the reason, why savage is not included in xlibmesa-dri?

Until xorg 6.9/7.0 the savage driver was not dri enabled.  Also prior
to xorg 7.0, mesa was included as port of the xorg ball of packages.
with the new modular Xorg, mesa is supplied directly by the upstream
source.  The change in packages must be your distro's way of handing
that I suspect.

Alex

Am Donnerstag 05 Januar 2006 13:31 schrieb Nate Bargmann:

> > Hello,
> >
> > does anyone know the reason for those different DRI driver packages
> > and the reason, why savage is not included in xlibmesa-dri?
>
> There is an existing Debian bug report on just this issue:

> The last comment seems to state authoratively, "libgl1-mesa-dri comes
> from the mesa source package, not xorg-x11."
>
> I'm not willing to download the entirety of Xorg 6.9 just to verfiy
> this claim.  At least a package exists and one does not have to resort
> to manually locating and installing a file not compiled with the rest
> of the system.

Hello Nate,

I considered installing  it, but actually I do not like this too much, as
I would like to be able to compile a KDE application spontaneously ;):

root@deepdance:/sys -> LANG=en_GB apt-get install libgl1-mesa-dri/unstable
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Selected version 6.3.2-2 (Debian:unstable) for libgl1-mesa-dri
  libdrm1 libgl1-mesa-dri
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  kdelibs4-dev kspy libarts1-dev libglu1-xorg-dev libopenexr-dev
libqt3-mt-dev x-window-system x-window-system-core
  xlibmesa-dri xlibmesa-gl xlibmesa-gl-dev xlibosmesa-dev xlibosmesa4
  libdrm1 libgl1-mesa-dri
0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 13 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 11.6MB of archives.
After unpacking 10.4MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? n
Abort.

This one looks better however:
root@deepdance:/sys -> LANG=en_GB apt-get install libgl1-mesa-dri/unstable
libgl1-mesa-dri-dev/unstable mesa-common-dev/unstable
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Selected version 6.3.2-2 (Debian:unstable) for libgl1-mesa-dri
Selected version 6.3.2-2 (Debian:unstable) for libgl1-mesa-dri-dev
Selected version 6.3.2-2 (Debian:unstable) for mesa-common-dev
  libdrm1 libgl1-mesa-dri libgl1-mesa-dri-dev mesa-common-dev
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  x-window-system x-window-system-core xlibmesa-dri xlibmesa-gl
xlibmesa-gl-dev xlibosmesa-dev xlibosmesa4
  libdrm1 libgl1-mesa-dri libgl1-mesa-dri-dev mesa-common-dev
0 upgraded, 4 newly installed, 7 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 11.8MB of archives.
After unpacking 8380kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]?

I think I stick with the manual installation approach unless I know more
about the background of those packaging decisions ;-) or unless
xlibmesa-dri contains the savage driver.

If libgl1-mesa-dri is to be used in future as Alex comment suggests the
x-window-system and x-window-system-core dependencies should be adjusted.
Maybe this whole affair is worth a bug report. Well I will add this to
the existing one you mentioned

GPG: 03B0 0D6C 0040 0710 4AFA  B82F 991B EAAC A599 84C7