Fwd: looking for remaining gnome 3.8 packages for the GNOME 3.8 transition to complete.

Fwd: looking for remaining gnome 3.8 packages for the GNOME 3.8 transition to complete.

shirish शिरीष

Re: looking for remaining gnome 3.8 packages for the GNOME 3.8 transition to complete.

shirish शिरीष
Hi all,
Another thing, if you want to help, please test systemd. Pretty soon
it will become an integrate part of things (systemd = PID 1) . This
will happen with systemd v205 so if you do not want that to happen,
help the pkg-gnome team to find, test, code, package, fix all and any
alternatives for the same.
          Shirish Agarwal  शिरीष अग्रवाल
http://flossexperiences.wordpress.com
065C 6D79 A68C E7EA 52B3  8D70 950D 53FB 729A 8B17

Re: Re: looking for remaining gnome 3.8 packages for the GNOME 3.8 transition to complete.

Bruno Melo
Well, I think systemd will be a problem for kFreeBSD port...

Re: Re: looking for remaining gnome 3.8 packages for the GNOME 3.8 transition to complete.

Andreas Henriksson-3
On Wed, Oct 09, 2013 at 01:36:31PM -0300, Bruno Maximo e Melo wrote:
> Well, I think systemd will be a problem for kFreeBSD port...

Just to avoid misconceptions spreading, NO this is not a practical problem.

The reason is that gnome is already completely non-functional on
kfreebsd, so systemd is the least of the worries for anyone
thinking about running on top of kfreebsd.

Given that the problem mostly is that you'll get functionality
loss when not using systemd as your init system at runtime
there will not be a problem of continuing to ship broken
packages for kfreebsd (which we need to do as apparently
there are political motivations to not remove the broken
binary packages for kfreebsd architectures).
(Even if we ended up in a situation where we'd need some
component of systemd to be available at build-time we
could simply install unique copies of /bin/false in the
packages when building on kfreebsd and the packages
would continues to have the same practical value of kfreebsd.)

The "problem" is for people who want to continue clinging
to sysvinit on Debian GNU/Linux. These people will suffer
functionality loss, unless someone from this camp steps
up to actually implement a solution.
The "problem" of Gnome 3.8 depending on systemd for certain
functionality has existed for 6 months already. Yet noone
has showed any interest in working on a solution to be
able to not use systemd in Debian.

So as already stated, for anyone who doesn't generally
care and doesn't have a political agenda - now is the
time to start preparing your system for running systemd
unless you haven't already done so.

--
Andreas Henriksson

Re: Re: Re: looking for remaining gnome 3.8 packages for the GNOME 3.8 transition to complete.

Bruno Melo
I know, I use Gnome on kFreeBSD and it has various problems, and I wanna
know what will you do about it? XFCE is not very functional too and more
incomplete than Gnome, so I think we need Gnome functional with or
without systemd...The flashback mode is enough therefore that is
functional not only flashback but all Gnome programs. I can try to port
Cheese and Empathy for kfreebsd at december, january or february.

Re: looking for remaining gnome 3.8 packages for the GNOME 3.8 transition to complete.

Ben Finney-5
Bruno Maximo e Melo <[hidden email]> writes:

> I know, I use Gnome on kFreeBSD and it has various problems, and I wanna
> know what will you do about it?

Perhaps you're unaware of the nuance – I'm guessing English is not your
native language – but the above sentence comes across as very demanding
of a community of volunteers.

In this case, “you” includes you also, as you are interested in GNOME on
Debian GNU/kFreeBSD. What are you going to do about it?

Are there others interested in GNOME on kFreeBSD whom you can work with
to improve it? Where have you looked to find such people?

Here, “improve” can mean anything from fixing bugs to triaging existing
bug reports to funding development to organising volunteers, with
friendly assistance rather than demands.

--
 \       “Everything you read in newspapers is absolutely true, except |
  `\        for that rare story of which you happen to have first-hand |

Re: Re: looking for remaining gnome 3.8 packages for the GNOME 3.8 transition to complete.

Bruno Melo
Sorry, I did not want to be demanding, just interested in service. not
really speak English.
I didn't meet who want help Gnome on kFreeBSD, but I want to help. I can
try, but no guarantees.
Sorry again.

Re: looking for remaining gnome 3.8 packages for the GNOME 3.8 transition to complete.

shirish शिरीष
Hi all,
Just for informational purposes, there is now a bug for transitioning
of the remaining packages. See #726032 .  mbiebl has been furiously
making changes and uploading the 3.8 changes to experimental. All of
the packages would have to be replaced in one go hence he wants to get
some testing done before pushing them to sid/unstable.
          Shirish Agarwal  शिरीष अग्रवाल
http://flossexperiences.wordpress.com
065C 6D79 A68C E7EA 52B3  8D70 950D 53FB 729A 8B17

Re: looking for remaining gnome 3.8 packages for the GNOME 3.8 transition to complete.

SDA-2
On Sat, Oct 12, 2013 at 06:53:27PM +0530, shirish शिरीष wrote:
> Hi all,
> Just for informational purposes, there is now a bug for transitioning
> of the remaining packages. See #726032 .  mbiebl has been furiously
> making changes and uploading the 3.8 changes to experimental. All of
> the packages would have to be replaced in one go hence he wants to get
> some testing done before pushing them to sid/unstable.

Thanks for the heads up!

Re: looking for remaining gnome 3.8 packages for the GNOME 3.8 transition to complete.

Osamu Aoki
On Sat, Oct 12, 2013 at 06:53:27PM +0530, shirish शिरीष wrote:
> Hi all,
> Just for informational purposes, there is now a bug for transitioning
> of the remaining packages. See #726032 .

Yes.  If I am not mistaken ... this means upload to sid is already
happening.

> mbiebl has been furiously making changes and uploading the 3.8 changes
> to experimental.

Yes he had been ...

> All of the packages would have to be replaced in one go hence he wants
> to get some testing done before pushing them to sid/unstable.

I think this "sid/unstable" should be "jessie/testing"

Unstable(sid) is broken now partially as usual for the transition.

If you rely on meta-package such as task-gnome-desktop or gnome-core
to set up your DE automatically, you may hit huge package removal
situation under aptitude unless you select each pulled packages
manually.  Currently, we need to skip gnome-screensaver until its 3.8
version reaches to sid.

One of the big UI change is the keyboard input mode selection.  Now ibus
is activated.  If you have pertinent packages installed, you can switch
input mode by pressing SUPER(Windows)-key and SPACE-key simultaneously.
You should see nice indicator at the center of screen.

Osamu

On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 11:54:31AM +0900, Osamu Aoki wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 12, 2013 at 06:53:27PM +0530, shirish शिरीष wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > Just for informational purposes, there is now a bug for transitioning
> > of the remaining packages. See #726032 .
>
> Yes.  If I am not mistaken ... this means upload to sid is already
> happening.
>
> > mbiebl has been furiously making changes and uploading the 3.8 changes
> > to experimental.
>
> Yes he had been ...
>
> > All of the packages would have to be replaced in one go hence he wants
> > to get some testing done before pushing them to sid/unstable.
>
> I think this "sid/unstable" should be "jessie/testing"

Yes, that would be great (willing to test on Jessie)!

Re: looking for remaining gnome 3.8 packages for the GNOME 3.8 transition to complete.

SDA-2
Just wanted to mention that I have just upgraded to Gnome-Shell 3.8 using SID.

No problems thusfar, looking good fellas! Thanks for your hard work getting this transition
going!

Re: looking for remaining gnome 3.8 packages for the GNOME 3.8 transition to complete.

Paul C. Bryan-3
I second that emotion. Looking good!

On Mon, 2013-10-14 at 20:24 -0400, Stephen Allen wrote:
Just wanted to mention that I have just upgraded to Gnome-Shell 3.8 using SID.

No problems thusfar, looking good fellas! Thanks for your hard work getting this transition
going!

Re: looking for remaining gnome 3.8 packages for the GNOME 3.8 transition to complete.

Jean-Christophe Dubacq
On 15/10/2013 02:32, Paul C. Bryan wrote:

> I second that emotion. Looking good!
>
> On Mon, 2013-10-14 at 20:24 -0400, Stephen Allen wrote:
>> Just wanted to mention that I have just upgraded to Gnome-Shell 3.8 using SID.
>>
>> No problems thusfar, looking good fellas! Thanks for your hard work getting this transition
>> going!

And I also join myself to the dance !

--
Jean-Christophe Dubacq

Re: looking for remaining gnome 3.8 packages for the GNOME 3.8 transition to complete.

Jean-Christophe Dubacq
On 15/10/2013 02:32, Paul C. Bryan wrote:

> I second that emotion. Looking good!
>
> On Mon, 2013-10-14 at 20:24 -0400, Stephen Allen wrote:
>> Just wanted to mention that I have just upgraded to Gnome-Shell 3.8 using SID.
>>
>> No problems thusfar, looking good fellas! Thanks for your hard work getting this transition
>> going!

I wanted to join the dance, too!

Thanks!

--
Jean-Christophe Dubacq

Re: looking for remaining gnome 3.8 packages for the GNOME 3.8 transition to complete.

Osamu Aoki

Update and minor clarification.

On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 11:54:31AM +0900, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 12, 2013 at 06:53:27PM +0530, shirish शिरीष wrote:
> Unstable(sid) is broken now partially as usual for the transition.
>
> If you rely on meta-package such as task-gnome-desktop or gnome-core
> to set up your DE automatically, you may hit huge package removal
> situation under aptitude unless you select each pulled packages
> manually.  Currently, we need to skip gnome-screensaver until its
GNOME 3.8 compatible
> version reaches to sid.

Now I see gnome-screensaver 3.4 -> 3.6 upgrade, iot does not conflict
with gnome-shell 3.8 anymore.  So clean upgrade is possible.

Osamu

Re: looking for remaining gnome 3.8 packages for the GNOME 3.8 transition to complete.

Johannes Rohr-2
Am 12.10.2013 15:23, schrieb shirish शिरीष:
> Hi all,
> Just for informational purposes, there is now a bug for transitioning
> of the remaining packages. See #726032 .  mbiebl has been furiously
> making changes and uploading the 3.8 changes to experimental. All of
> the packages would have to be replaced in one go hence he wants to get
> some testing done before pushing them to sid/unstable.

Thanks so much to the devs for making this work! For me, everything has
been flawless! Now I hope that GNOME 3.10 will make it into Jessie
before the freeze (announced for early November already), and even more
I hope that the freeze will not take as excruciatingly long as the last
couple of times...

Thanks,

Johannes

Re: looking for remaining gnome 3.8 packages for the GNOME 3.8 transition to complete.

Frederic Peters-2
Hi Johannes,

Johannes Rohr wrote:

> Am 12.10.2013 15:23, schrieb shirish शिरीष:
> >Hi all,
> >Just for informational purposes, there is now a bug for transitioning
> >of the remaining packages. See #726032 .  mbiebl has been furiously
> >making changes and uploading the 3.8 changes to experimental. All of
> >the packages would have to be replaced in one go hence he wants to get
> >some testing done before pushing them to sid/unstable.
>
> Thanks so much to the devs for making this work! For me, everything
> has been flawless! Now I hope that GNOME 3.10 will make it into
> Jessie before the freeze (announced for early November already), and

Don't worry about that, the freeze is announced for November *2014*.

And congrats to active Debian/GNOME maintainers,

        Fred

Re: Re: looking for remaining gnome 3.8 packages for the GNOME 3.8 transition to complete.

Bruno Melo
well, until the freeze probably Gnome 3.14 or 4.0 will be released. Do
you think you can bring it for us?

Re: Re: looking for remaining gnome 3.8 packages for the GNOME 3.8 transition to complete.

Tshepang Lekhonkhobe
On Fri, Oct 18, 2013 at 1:22 AM, Bruno <[hidden email]> wrote:
> well, until the freeze probably Gnome 3.14 or 4.0 will be released. Do
> you think you can bring it for us?

Is there talk of GNOME 4 already?