GNOME 2.14

Josselin Mouette
Hi,

the GNOME team has mostly agreed on a more aggressive schedule for
inclusion of GNOME 2.14. A few release-candidate 2.13 packages will land
in experimental, and 2.14.0 packages will be uploaded to unstable, as
long as they don't imply a library soname change.

As always, help is much appreciated. Some packages are still looking for
an active primary maintainer: dasher, gnome-media, eel2, libbonobo(ui),
nautilus. And of course, anyone can help in sorting bugs for other
packages.

 .''`.           Josselin Mouette        /\./\
: :' :           [hidden email]
`. `'                        [hidden email]
  `-  Debian GNU/Linux -- The power of freedom

Re: GNOME 2.14

Gustavo Franco
On 3/5/06, Josselin Mouette <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> the GNOME team has mostly agreed on a more aggressive schedule for
> inclusion of GNOME 2.14. A few release-candidate 2.13 packages will land
> in experimental, and 2.14.0 packages will be uploaded to unstable, as
> long as they don't imply a library soname change.
>
> As always, help is much appreciated. Some packages are still looking for
> an active primary maintainer: dasher, gnome-media, eel2, libbonobo(ui),
> nautilus. And of course, anyone can help in sorting bugs for other
> packages.

I would like to help as gnome-media primary maintainer. Btw, i think
that Guilherme Pastore can assist me during the initial process.

Thanks,
-- stratus

Re: GNOME 2.14

Guilherme de S. Pastore-3
Em Dom, 2006-03-05 às 05:32 +0100, Josselin Mouette escreveu:
> the GNOME team has mostly agreed on a more aggressive schedule for
> inclusion of GNOME 2.14. A few release-candidate 2.13 packages will land
> in experimental, and 2.14.0 packages will be uploaded to unstable, as
> long as they don't imply a library soname change.

That is the kind of thing I've been wanting to hear for some time...
GO GO GO! =)

> Some packages are still looking for
> an active primary maintainer: dasher, gnome-media, eel2, libbonobo(ui),
> nautilus.

I can probably take nautilus, considering Gustavo Franco is going to
take gnome-media. Also, as a side-note, being upstream for
gnome-terminal and vte now, I will probably have them too if the current
maintainer does not object.

[hidden email]: Guilherme de S. Pastore
http://www.gnome.org/ * http://br.gnome.org/

Re: GNOME 2.14

Josselin Mouette
Le dimanche 05 mars 2006 à 05:32 +0100, Josselin Mouette a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> the GNOME team has mostly agreed on a more aggressive schedule for
> inclusion of GNOME 2.14. A few release-candidate 2.13 packages will land
> in experimental, and 2.14.0 packages will be uploaded to unstable, as
> long as they don't imply a library soname change.

The experimental uploads have started. You're welcome to test what's
been uploaded. Currently, that's glib, gconf, gnome-vfs and
gnome-terminal. Gnome-VFS now includes an inotify monitoring backend,
and should still use FAM for monitoring files on NFS mounts. Please
report any problem with the monitoring facilities. Gnome-terminal has
gone through major performance improvements thanks to Guilherme's work.

Due to Unicode changes, there can be incompatibilities between GLib and
Pango. If there are, this will be fixed by the upload of pango 1.11.

 .''`.           Josselin Mouette        /\./\
: :' :           [hidden email]
`. `'                        [hidden email]
  `-  Debian GNU/Linux -- The power of freedom

Re: GNOME 2.14

"Øystein Gisnås"
> The experimental uploads have started. You're welcome to test what's
> been uploaded. Currently, that's glib, gconf, gnome-vfs and
> gnome-terminal. Gnome-VFS now includes an inotify monitoring backend,
> and should still use FAM for monitoring files on NFS mounts. Please
> report any problem with the monitoring facilities. Gnome-terminal has
> gone through major performance improvements thanks to Guilherme's
> work.

Everything seems to be smooth so far. I haven't scrutinized monitoring
yet, only general usage. I expected gnome-terminal to speed up when
running the "time cat /usr/share/dict/words" test, but I can see no
difference at all. Are the improvements located in the libraries, or am
I doing something wrong?

Regards,
Øystein Gisnås

> The experimental uploads have started. You're welcome to test what's
> been uploaded. Currently, that's glib, gconf, gnome-vfs and
> gnome-terminal. Gnome-VFS now includes an inotify monitoring backend,
> and should still use FAM for monitoring files on NFS mounts. Please
> report any problem with the monitoring facilities. Gnome-terminal has
> gone through major performance improvements thanks to Guilherme's
> work.

Everything seems to be smooth so far. I haven't scrutinized monitoring yet, only general usage. I expected gnome-terminal to speed up when running the "time cat /usr/share/dict/words" test, but I can see no difference at all. Are the improvements located in the libraries, or am I doing something wrong?

Regards,
Øystein Gisnås

Re: GNOME 2.14

Ross Burton
On Fri, 2006-03-10 at 17:03 +0100, Øystein Gisnås wrote:
> Everything seems to be smooth so far. I haven't scrutinized monitoring
> yet, only general usage. I expected gnome-terminal to speed up when
> running the "time cat /usr/share/dict/words" test, but I can see no
> difference at all. Are the improvements located in the libraries, or
> am I doing something wrong?

The change is in libvte, and it's amazing.  The other good test is
pressing page up in less, in 2.12 and below you can see it scroll back,
with 2.14 it is instant.

Ross
--
Ross Burton                                 mail: [hidden email]
                                          jabber: [hidden email]

Re: GNOME 2.14

Xavier Bestel

> The experimental uploads have started. You're welcome to test what's
> been uploaded. Currently, that's glib, gconf, gnome-vfs and
> gnome-terminal. Gnome-VFS now includes an inotify monitoring backend,
> and should still use FAM for monitoring files on NFS mounts. Please
> report any problem with the monitoring facilities. Gnome-terminal has
> gone through major performance improvements thanks to Guilherme's
> work.

Evolution hangs on startup. I have to --force-shutdown and restart it
(sometimes twice). Otherwise everything works well.
Cc: me for more info.

        Xav

Re: GNOME 2.14

Heikki Henriksen
Xavier Bestel:
>> The experimental uploads have started. You're welcome to test what's
>> been uploaded. Currently, that's glib, gconf, gnome-vfs and
>> gnome-terminal.
> Evolution hangs on startup. I have to --force-shutdown and restart it
> (sometimes twice). Otherwise everything works well.
> Cc: me for more info.

I had the same problem after upgrading to experimental glib and
gnomevfs2, but experienced it only with the calendar.

I started to do some stracing/gdb'ing on it, and testing with different
library-versions before reporting the bug, and suddenly I were unable to
reproduce it with any version. Don't know what happened but it is ok here
now.

If it turns up again, hopefully it stays long enough to do some tests with
debugging-symbols ;)

Heikki

Re: Re: GNOME 2.14

Stephane Chauveau

 > Everything seems to be smooth so far. I haven't scrutinized
monitoring > yet, only general usage. I expected gnome-terminal to speed
up when > > running the "time cat /usr/share/dict/words" test, but I can
see no > > difference at all. Are the improvements located in the
libraries, or  > am I doing something wrong?

By default, all gnome-terminals are handled by the same process so you
wont see a thing until you close them all or restart gnome
You can also start a standalone gnome-terminal process with:

   gnome-terminal --disable-factory