GNOME 3.8 and awesome wm

Mike Timonin
Hi all

I use awesome wm with gnome-session and started having all sorts of issues since upgrading to 3.8:

- layouts not switching
- media keys not working
- indicator icons (battery,layout) not showing up

However, all works very well indeed in gnome-shell, so looks like it is something in the way awesome interacts with gnome-session/settings-daemon.

I would appreciate any help on debugging this - don't really know where to start!

Regards,
Mikhail Timonin

Tom

Re: GNOME 3.8 and awesome wm

Tom
Hey all,

> awesome wm with gnome-session <..> all sorts of issues since upgrading to 3.8:
>
> - layouts not switching
> - media keys not working
> - indicator icons (battery,layout) not showing up
>
> However, all works very well indeed in gnome-shell, so looks like it is
> something in the way awesome interacts with gnome-session/settings-daemon.

I just wanted to confirm this. I don't have media keys or a laptop; in my case
I noticed because of the broken keyboard layout switching, the fact that the
screen no longer blanks after the time I set in gnome-control-center, and the
fact that my wallpaper is no longer managed.

If it matters, I start gnome-settings-daemon in my .xinitrc (and have done so
since forever). The only thing it still appears to handle is the GTK theme.

I could resort to separate tools for all those things, but since the problem
only started with the 3.8 upgrade, I intended to write to this list to check
if something might be off with gnome-settings-daemon. (I didn't yet, because
I thought it might be useful to check with a new user first, which I haven't
gotten around to yet).

So I'm curious as well on how to go about finding out what's wrong..

Best,
Tom

--
np: nothing

Re: GNOME 3.8 and awesome wm

Mike Timonin
This thread indicates that in 3.8 media keys, layout, etc, have been moved over to gnome-shell

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1262471

I guess it is time to switch over to xfsettingsd

On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 11:38 AM, Tom <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey all,

> awesome wm with gnome-session <..> all sorts of issues since upgrading to 3.8:
>
> - layouts not switching
> - media keys not working
> - indicator icons (battery,layout) not showing up
>
> However, all works very well indeed in gnome-shell, so looks like it is
> something in the way awesome interacts with gnome-session/settings-daemon.

I just wanted to confirm this. I don't have media keys or a laptop; in my case
I noticed because of the broken keyboard layout switching, the fact that the
screen no longer blanks after the time I set in gnome-control-center, and the
fact that my wallpaper is no longer managed.

If it matters, I start gnome-settings-daemon in my .xinitrc (and have done so
since forever). The only thing it still appears to handle is the GTK theme.

I could resort to separate tools for all those things, but since the problem
only started with the 3.8 upgrade, I intended to write to this list to check
if something might be off with gnome-settings-daemon. (I didn't yet, because
I thought it might be useful to check with a new user first, which I haven't
gotten around to yet).

So I'm curious as well on how to go about finding out what's wrong..

Best,
Tom

--
np: nothing

Re: GNOME 3.8 and awesome wm

Josselin Mouette
Le vendredi 22 novembre 2013 à 11:18 +0000, Mike Timonin a écrit :
> This thread indicates that in 3.8 media keys, layout, etc, have been
> moved over to gnome-shell
>
> https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1262471

Yes, it is a known problem. We need to resurrect them as g-s-d plugins
used from gnome-fallback.
 .''`.        Josselin Mouette
: :' :
`. `'