GNOME session restarted during upgrade; tracking down buggy package

GNOME session restarted during upgrade; tracking down buggy package

Josh Triplett-9
I just tried to upgrade a set of packages, and at some point during the
upgrade, GNOME restarted, losing my current session.  I'm trying to
track down which package to file the bug against, as I'm not sure if it
lies in GNOME, some systemd component, or some dbus service.  I could
use some help narrowing it down to the right package or packages.

I've attached the list of upgraded packages and versions from /var/log/aptitude
as "pkgs", and the relevant section of the journal as "log".  The log
starts from around the time the upgrade caused systemd to re-execute
itself to the point where gdm3 has restarted and started to bring up a
new X session.

I don't know if the issue lies with some systemd component (like logind
or udev), with some dbus service, with some GNOME component for not
handling service restarts, or somewhere else entirely.

- Josh Triplett

Re: GNOME session restarted during upgrade; tracking down buggy package

Josh Triplett-9
On Thu, Jul 09, 2015 at 12:59:27PM -0700, [hidden email] wrote:

> I just tried to upgrade a set of packages, and at some point during the
> upgrade, GNOME restarted, losing my current session.  I'm trying to
> track down which package to file the bug against, as I'm not sure if it
> lies in GNOME, some systemd component, or some dbus service.  I could
> use some help narrowing it down to the right package or packages.
>
> I've attached the list of upgraded packages and versions from /var/log/aptitude
> as "pkgs", and the relevant section of the journal as "log".  The log
> starts from around the time the upgrade caused systemd to re-execute
> itself to the point where gdm3 has restarted and started to bring up a
> new X session.
>
> I don't know if the issue lies with some systemd component (like logind
> or udev), with some dbus service, with some GNOME component for not
> handling service restarts, or somewhere else entirely.

I can reproduce this with a much smaller upgrade: I downgraded just gdm3 and
its dependencies libgdm1 and gir1.2-gdm3 to 3.14.1-8, rebooted, then
re-upgraded those three packages to 3.14.2-1.  During "Setting up gdm3", my
GNOME session restarted.

Here's the complete log from /var/log/apt/term.log:

Log started: 2015-07-09  16:50:32
[... snip "Reading database" progress messages and resulting terminal noise. ...]
Preparing to unpack .../gdm3_3.14.2-1_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking gdm3 (3.14.2-1) over (3.14.1-8) ...
Preparing to unpack .../libgdm1_3.14.2-1_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking libgdm1 (3.14.2-1) over (3.14.1-8) ...
Preparing to unpack .../gir1.2-gdm3_3.14.2-1_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking gir1.2-gdm3 (3.14.2-1) over (3.14.1-8) ...
Processing triggers for systemd (222-1) ...
Processing triggers for dbus (1.8.18-1) ...
Processing triggers for libglib2.0-0:amd64 (2.44.1-1.1) ...
Processing triggers for man-db (2.7.0.2-5) ...
Processing triggers for hicolor-icon-theme (0.13-1) ...
Setting up libgdm1 (3.14.2-1) ...
Setting up gir1.2-gdm3 (3.14.2-1) ...
Setting up gdm3 (3.14.2-1) ...
[at this point my session restarted]
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.19-18) ...
Log ended: 2015-07-09  16:50:35

Re: GNOME session restarted during upgrade; tracking down buggy package

Andrea Vettorello
Hi,

I can't remember if it was always the case, but there's at least one bug opened (#762756) for GDM3 about session that are closed on upgrade.

Andrea

Re: GNOME session restarted during upgrade; tracking down buggy package

Martin Pitt-3
Hey all,

Andrea Vettorello [2015-07-10  9:49 +0200]:
> I can't remember if it was always the case, but there's at least one bug
> opened (#762756) for GDM3 about session that are closed on upgrade.

and #791964 too.

It's really dangerous to reload/restart a DM on upgrade, unless we can
be absolutely sure that the DM is capable of doing that without
disrupting user sessions. IMHO gdm should just stop trying to do that?

Thanks,

Martin
--
Martin Pitt                        | http://www.piware.de