GRUB error 18

bthepixwiz
    I just got Debian installed on my extra computer, but whenever I start it, it goes to stage 1.5, then gives me error 18, and stops. I have found out that error 18 has something to do with the boot loader and 8 gigs, but I'm not sure. I have a 30 gigabyte Seagate Barracuda, and I installed Debian using a netboot from two floppys. I can only boot from floppies, so I can't use CDs. Can anyone point me in a direction to fix this? Thanks.

Re: GRUB error 18

Linas Žvirblis
[hidden email] wrote:

>     I just got Debian installed on my extra computer, but whenever I start it, it goes to stage 1.5, then gives me error 18, and stops. I have found out that error 18 has something to do with the boot loader and 8 gigs, but I'm not sure. I have a 30 gigabyte Seagate Barracuda, and I installed Debian using a netboot from two floppys. I can only boot from floppies, so I can't use CDs. Can anyone point me in a direction to fix this? Thanks.

If I remember correctly, this has happened to me once. My solution was
to set access mode of the hard drive from "LBA" to "Auto" in BIOS. The
strange thing was that it seemed to autodetect LBA anyway, but the error
was no more.

I came to conclusion that the BIOS is broken and I did not investigate
any further.

Re: GRUB error 18

bthepixwiz

>>     I just got Debian installed on my extra computer, but whenever I
>> start it, it goes to stage 1.5, then gives me error 18, and stops. I have
>> found out that error 18 has something to do with the boot loader and 8
>> gigs, but I'm not sure. I have a 30 gigabyte Seagate Barracuda, and I
>> installed Debian using a netboot from two floppys. I can only boot from
>> floppies, so I can't use CDs. Can anyone point me in a direction to fix
>> this? Thanks.
>
> If I remember correctly, this has happened to me once. My solution was
> to set access mode of the hard drive from "LBA" to "Auto" in BIOS. The
> strange thing was that it seemed to autodetect LBA anyway, but the error
> was no more.
>
> I came to conclusion that the BIOS is broken and I did not investigate
> any further.

The only options my BIOS has is LBA, NORMAL, and LARGE. I tried all three,
and I still got the error.

Re: GRUB error 18

Alvin Oga

On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 [hidden email] wrote:

> >>     I just got Debian installed on my extra computer, but whenever I
> >> start it, it goes to stage 1.5, then gives me error 18, and stops. I have
> >> found out that error 18 has something to do with the boot loader and 8
> >> gigs, but I'm not sure. I have a 30 gigabyte Seagate Barracuda, and I
> >> installed Debian using a netboot from two floppys. I can only boot from
> >> floppies, so I can't use CDs. Can anyone point me in a direction to fix
> >> this? Thanks.

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=122656

- if your /boot is beyond 1024 cylinders... you're screwed
  since your bios is not able to get around the 512MB or was it 8MB
  ( 1024 cylinder ) problem from your problem you're describing

- boot from cd or usboot if the bios has those boot options
  or just plain give up ... there's no solution other than another
  motherboard  or resize windoze to be 6GB total, so that linux
  can have its /boot under 8GB, assuming it supports up to 8GB
  before the old bios runs out of bits for mapping "large" disks

c ya
alvin