GUI does not start after stretch to buster update

GUI does not start after stretch to buster update

Isaac N
After upgrading to debian buster i cannot access gui. I boot up and it stops services like UiD1000 then stops at "started update utmp about system runlevel changes".
I can log on using tty to terminal; startX terminates with "xinit:connection to X server lost"
Starting a GUI application like firefox displays error "no DISPLAY environment variable specified"
I can't troubleshoot beyond that; any help?

Re: GUI does not start after stretch to buster update

Felix Miata-3
Isaac N composed on 2020-04-05 22:29 (UTC+0300):

> After upgrading to debian buster i cannot access gui. I boot up and it
> stops services like UiD1000 then stops at "started update utmp about system
> runlevel changes".
> I can log on using tty to terminal; startX terminates with
> "xinit:connection to X server lost"

Do

        pastebinit /var/log/Xorg.0.log
        inxi -SGxxza | pastebinit