Gedit extremely slow on Sarge

Jérôme Warnier
I don't know if you feel the same, but gedit is extremely slow to start,
the disk goes crazy for about 1 minute before the gedit window appears.

Other GNOME applications are quite snappy.

On an up-to-date Sid (slightly less powerful machine), it starts almost
immediately.

Any idea of what could help it start faster?

Thanks

Re: Gedit extremely slow on Sarge

James Strandboge
On Thu, 2006-01-19 at 16:36 +0100, Jérôme Warnier wrote:
> I don't know if you feel the same, but gedit is extremely slow to start,
> the disk goes crazy for about 1 minute before the gedit window appears.
>
> Other GNOME applications are quite snappy.
>
> On an up-to-date Sid (slightly less powerful machine), it starts almost
> immediately.
>
> Any idea of what could help it start faster?

Seems to work fine here.  What does an strace reveal?

Jamie Strandboge

Re: Gedit extremely slow on Sarge

Martin Braure de Calignon
Le jeudi 19 janvier 2006 à 10:47 -0500, James Strandboge a écrit :

> On Thu, 2006-01-19 at 16:36 +0100, Jérôme Warnier wrote:
> > I don't know if you feel the same, but gedit is extremely slow to start,
> > the disk goes crazy for about 1 minute before the gedit window appears.
> >
> > Other GNOME applications are quite snappy.
> >
> > On an up-to-date Sid (slightly less powerful machine), it starts almost
> > immediately.
> >
> > Any idea of what could help it start faster?
>
> Seems to work fine here.  What does an strace reveal?
>
> Jamie Strandboge

I don't know if it can help but one day, my gedit was extremely slow.
After some investigates, it was due to GPG plugin of gedit.

It was loading all my keys before opening the file if I correctly
remember.

Martin

Re: Gedit extremely slow on Sarge

Jérôme Warnier
Le vendredi 20 janvier 2006 à 01:23 +0100, Martin Braure de Calignon a
écrit :

> Le jeudi 19 janvier 2006 à 10:47 -0500, James Strandboge a écrit :
> > On Thu, 2006-01-19 at 16:36 +0100, Jérôme Warnier wrote:
> > > I don't know if you feel the same, but gedit is extremely slow to start,
> > > the disk goes crazy for about 1 minute before the gedit window appears.
> > >
> > > Other GNOME applications are quite snappy.
> > >
> > > On an up-to-date Sid (slightly less powerful machine), it starts almost
> > > immediately.
> > >
> > > Any idea of what could help it start faster?
> >
> > Seems to work fine here.  What does an strace reveal?
> >
> > Jamie Strandboge
>
> I don't know if it can help but one day, my gedit was extremely slow.
> After some investigates, it was due to GPG plugin of gedit.
>
> It was loading all my keys before opening the file if I correctly
> remember.
This could be it!
And how did you deactivate this behaviour?

> Cheers,
>
> --
> Martin

Re: Gedit extremely slow on Sarge

Jérôme Warnier
[..]

> > I don't know if it can help but one day, my gedit was extremely slow.
> > After some investigates, it was due to GPG plugin of gedit.
> >
> > It was loading all my keys before opening the file if I correctly
> > remember.
> This could be it!
> And how did you deactivate this behaviour?
This was it, indeed!
I disabled the plugin in the Preferences, and now, it starts almost
immediately.

Thanks