Geeqie embedding ZoneDetect timezone data

Geeqie embedding ZoneDetect timezone data

Andreas Ronnquist

A package I am maintaining (Geeqie) is looking to use ZoneDetect
timezone data, and geeqie upstream has actually embedded that data in
their upstream git repo. See [1] for that commit.

I have searched Debian mailinglists, and to me it looks like this is
ok, the ZoneDetect data is licensed under ODbL 1.0, and I guess that
the files that Geeqie embeds are "source" for the data.

Since I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to this, I ask here - Does this
look alright?

(I know, and have told geeqie, that it needs to mention under which
licenses that data is used better - they are a bit more prominent in
the ZoneDetect repository [2]), but not really crystal clear there either.

Also, I am trying to make them to not embed that data, but use it as an
external library, but that is a separate problem.

1: http://geeqie.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=geeqie.git;a=commit;h=ab3ed5bcccd8af95545b658c5d0ec4d6d8ff554c
2: https://github.com/BertoldVdb/ZoneDetect

-- Andreas Rönnquist

Re: Geeqie embedding ZoneDetect timezone data

Francesco Poli (wintermute)
On Tue, 29 Jan 2019 14:55:03 +0100 Andreas Ronnquist wrote:

> A package I am maintaining (Geeqie)

Hello Andreas!
First off, thanks for maintaining one of my favorite image viewers in
Debian!

> is looking to use ZoneDetect
> timezone data, and geeqie upstream has actually embedded that data in
> their upstream git repo. See [1] for that commit.
>
> I have searched Debian mailinglists, and to me it looks like this is
> ok, the ZoneDetect data is licensed under ODbL 1.0,
[...]
> Since I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to this, I ask here - Does this
> look alright?
[...]

Personally, I don't think the ODbl v1.0 meets the DFSG.
See [my analysis] and a [reply] by MJ Ray.

[my analysis]: <https://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2010/08/msg00015.html>
[reply]: <https://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2010/08/msg00022.html>

Please note that this is just my own personal opinion.
As you probably know well, the actual decision makers for the
acceptability of a package in Debian are the FTP Masters, who may
disagree with my analysis...

I hope this helps.

--
 http://www.inventati.org/frx/
 There's not a second to spare! To the laboratory!