Geo::Point, Geo::Proj4 and PROJ 6

Bas Couwenberg-3
The Geo::Proj4 module is not compatible with the recently released PROJ
6, because it uses the deprecated projects.h API that has been removed
in PROJ 6.

Upstream has indicated that he's not been using it for over a decade
[0]. Hence there still is no progress on moving away from projects.h.

The popcon data suggests that the only users of Geo::Proj4 do so via
Geo::Point. The number of votes for both packages are less than a dozen.

I intent to request removal of libgeo-proj4-perl once we start the
transition to PROJ 6, which implies that libgeo-point-perl needs to be
removed as well.

If you want to keep libgeo-point-perl in Debian, it either needs to not
require libgeo-proj4-perl or the latter needs to be updated to support
the proj.h API. And if you want to keep libgeo-point-perl,
libgeo-proj4-perl needs to be adopted too, I no longer have any interest
in maintaining the package, as I don't consider it to have a future.

What do you want to do with libgeo-point-perl & libgeo-proj4-perl?

[0] https://github.com/markov2/perl5-Geo-Proj4/issues/1

Kind Regards,

Bas

--
 GPG Key ID: 4096R/6750F10AE88D4AF1
Fingerprint: 8182 DE41 7056 408D 6146  50D1 6750 F10A E88D 4AF1

Re: Geo::Point, Geo::Proj4 and PROJ 6

Xavier Guimard-3
Le 17/04/2019 à 20:42, Sebastiaan Couwenberg a écrit :

> The Geo::Proj4 module is not compatible with the recently released PROJ
> 6, because it uses the deprecated projects.h API that has been removed
> in PROJ 6.
>
> Upstream has indicated that he's not been using it for over a decade
> [0]. Hence there still is no progress on moving away from projects.h.
>
> The popcon data suggests that the only users of Geo::Proj4 do so via
> Geo::Point. The number of votes for both packages are less than a dozen.
>
> I intent to request removal of libgeo-proj4-perl once we start the
> transition to PROJ 6, which implies that libgeo-point-perl needs to be
> removed as well.
>
> If you want to keep libgeo-point-perl in Debian, it either needs to not
> require libgeo-proj4-perl or the latter needs to be updated to support
> the proj.h API. And if you want to keep libgeo-point-perl,
> libgeo-proj4-perl needs to be adopted too, I no longer have any interest
> in maintaining the package, as I don't consider it to have a future.
>
> What do you want to do with libgeo-point-perl & libgeo-proj4-perl?
>
> [0] https://github.com/markov2/perl5-Geo-Proj4/issues/1

This requires also to remove reverse dependencies:

libgeo-proj4-perl         (18 recent installs, 10 votes)
 +-> libosm-gary68-perl   (10 recent installs,  5 votes)
 |    +-> rel2gpx         (10 recent installs,  5 votes)
 +-> libgeo-point-perl    (13 recent installs,  8 votes)

Cheers,
Xavier

On 4/17/19 9:02 PM, Xavier wrote:

> Le 17/04/2019 à 20:42, Sebastiaan Couwenberg a écrit :
>> The Geo::Proj4 module is not compatible with the recently released PROJ
>> 6, because it uses the deprecated projects.h API that has been removed
>> in PROJ 6.
>>
>> Upstream has indicated that he's not been using it for over a decade
>> [0]. Hence there still is no progress on moving away from projects.h.
>>
>> The popcon data suggests that the only users of Geo::Proj4 do so via
>> Geo::Point. The number of votes for both packages are less than a dozen.
>>
>> I intent to request removal of libgeo-proj4-perl once we start the
>> transition to PROJ 6, which implies that libgeo-point-perl needs to be
>> removed as well.
>>
>> If you want to keep libgeo-point-perl in Debian, it either needs to not
>> require libgeo-proj4-perl or the latter needs to be updated to support
>> the proj.h API. And if you want to keep libgeo-point-perl,
>> libgeo-proj4-perl needs to be adopted too, I no longer have any interest
>> in maintaining the package, as I don't consider it to have a future.
>>
>> What do you want to do with libgeo-point-perl & libgeo-proj4-perl?
>>
>> [0] https://github.com/markov2/perl5-Geo-Proj4/issues/1
>
> This requires also to remove reverse dependencies:
>
> libgeo-proj4-perl         (18 recent installs, 10 votes)
>  +-> libosm-gary68-perl   (10 recent installs,  5 votes)
>  |    +-> rel2gpx         (10 recent installs,  5 votes)

Those are all maintained by the GIS team, and just a dead upstream as
Geo::Proj4, and will also be removed. But these are not relevant for the
Perl team.

Le 17/04/2019 à 21:02, Xavier a écrit :

> Le 17/04/2019 à 20:42, Sebastiaan Couwenberg a écrit :
>> The Geo::Proj4 module is not compatible with the recently released PROJ
>> 6, because it uses the deprecated projects.h API that has been removed
>> in PROJ 6.
>>
>> Upstream has indicated that he's not been using it for over a decade
>> [0]. Hence there still is no progress on moving away from projects.h.
>>
>> The popcon data suggests that the only users of Geo::Proj4 do so via
>> Geo::Point. The number of votes for both packages are less than a dozen.
>>
>> I intent to request removal of libgeo-proj4-perl once we start the
>> transition to PROJ 6, which implies that libgeo-point-perl needs to be
>> removed as well.
>>
>> If you want to keep libgeo-point-perl in Debian, it either needs to not
>> require libgeo-proj4-perl or the latter needs to be updated to support
>> the proj.h API. And if you want to keep libgeo-point-perl,
>> libgeo-proj4-perl needs to be adopted too, I no longer have any interest
>> in maintaining the package, as I don't consider it to have a future.
>>
>> What do you want to do with libgeo-point-perl & libgeo-proj4-perl?
>>
>> [0] https://github.com/markov2/perl5-Geo-Proj4/issues/1
>
> This requires also to remove reverse dependencies:
>
> libgeo-proj4-perl         (18 recent installs, 10 votes)
>  +-> libosm-gary68-perl   (10 recent installs,  5 votes)
>  |    +-> rel2gpx         (10 recent installs,  5 votes)
>  +-> libgeo-point-perl    (13 recent installs,  8 votes)
>
> Cheers,
> Xavier

With reverse recommended dependencies:

libgeo-proj4-perl         (18 recent installs, 10 votes)
 +-> libosm-gary68-perl   (10 recent installs,  5 votes)
 |    +-> rel2gpx         (10 recent installs,  5 votes)
 +-> libgeo-point-perl    (13 recent installs,  8 votes)
 +-> gis-devel            (no popcon data)

All maintained by Debian GIS Project except libgeo-point-perl.

Reported to Geo::Point: https://rt.cpan.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=129222

Le 18/04/2019 à 10:42, Xavier a écrit :

>> With reverse recommended dependencies:
>>
>> libgeo-proj4-perl         (18 recent installs, 10 votes)
>>  +-> libosm-gary68-perl   (10 recent installs,  5 votes)
>>  |    +-> rel2gpx         (10 recent installs,  5 votes)
>>  +-> libgeo-point-perl    (13 recent installs,  8 votes)
>>  +-> gis-devel            (no popcon data)
>>
>> All maintained by Debian GIS Project except libgeo-point-perl.
>
> Reported to Geo::Point: https://rt.cpan.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=129222

Hi all,

upstream give me the following response :

* Xavier Guimard via RT ([hidden email]) [190418 08:41]:

> Thu Apr 18 04:41:23 2019: Request 129222 was acted upon.
> Transaction: Ticket created by GUIMARD
>        Queue: Geo-Point
>      Subject: Deprecated dependency to Geo::Proj4
>    Broken in: 0.98
>     Severity: Important
>        Owner: Nobody
>   Requestors: [hidden email]
>  Ticket <URL: https://rt.cpan.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=129222 >
>
> according to https://github.com/markov2/perl5-Geo-Proj4/issues/1,
Geo::Proj4 is currently deprecated. We plan to remove it from Debian.

No no no!  That's totally wrong!
The proj library version 4 which my module uses has become deprecated.
After ages of stability, it got a version 5 and now even a version 6.
My code currently depends on some files from version which has disappeared.

On my short list for this month is an update to support version 6.
Do not remove it from Debian!
               MarkOv

       Mark Overmeer MSc                                MARKOV Solutions
       [hidden email]                          [hidden email]
http://Mark.Overmeer.net                   http://solutions.overmeer.net

Le 18/04/2019 à 14:25, Xavier a écrit :

> Le 18/04/2019 à 10:42, Xavier a écrit :
>>> With reverse recommended dependencies:
>>>
>>> libgeo-proj4-perl         (18 recent installs, 10 votes)
>>>  +-> libosm-gary68-perl   (10 recent installs,  5 votes)
>>>  |    +-> rel2gpx         (10 recent installs,  5 votes)
>>>  +-> libgeo-point-perl    (13 recent installs,  8 votes)
>>>  +-> gis-devel            (no popcon data)
>>>
>>> All maintained by Debian GIS Project except libgeo-point-perl.
>>
>> Reported to Geo::Point: https://rt.cpan.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=129222
>
> Hi all,
>
> upstream give me the following response :

> * Xavier Guimard via RT ([hidden email]) [190418 08:41]:
>> Thu Apr 18 04:41:23 2019: Request 129222 was acted upon.
>> Transaction: Ticket created by GUIMARD
>>        Queue: Geo-Point
>>      Subject: Deprecated dependency to Geo::Proj4
>>    Broken in: 0.98
>>     Severity: Important
>>        Owner: Nobody
>>   Requestors: [hidden email]
>>  Ticket <URL: https://rt.cpan.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=129222 >
>>
>> according to https://github.com/markov2/perl5-Geo-Proj4/issues/1,
> Geo::Proj4 is currently deprecated. We plan to remove it from Debian.
>
> No no no!  That's totally wrong!
> The proj library version 4 which my module uses has become deprecated.
> After ages of stability, it got a version 5 and now even a version 6.
> My code currently depends on some files from version which has disappeared.
>
> On my short list for this month is an update to support version 6.
> Do not remove it from Debian!

Next RT message from Sebastiaan: