Getting Ideas: About Debian menu item

Alan Baghumian
Hi,

I wanted to know about adding an "About Debian" menu item under the system
menu. What's your idea? It can launch default web browser to
http://www.debian.org/... or open a local page.

Alan

Re: Getting Ideas: About Debian menu item

Sven Arvidsson
On Wed, 2007-04-18 at 17:37 +0100, Alan Baghumian wrote:
> I wanted to know about adding an "About Debian" menu item under the system
> menu. What's your idea? It can launch default web browser to
> http://www.debian.org/... or open a local page.

That would be a good idea, there's a long standing wishlist bug open for
this, 249188.

The bug report speaks of doing something similar to gnome-about, listing
developer names, but I don't think that would be very easy to do.

A better idea would probably be to mimic Ubuntu in this aspect, "About
Ubuntu" simply launches the help browser and gives a short presentation
about the project.

http://bugs.debian.org/249188

Sven Arvidsson
http://www.whiz.se
PGP Key ID 760BDD22

Re: Getting Ideas: About Debian menu item

Loïc Minier
On Wed, Apr 18, 2007, Alan Baghumian wrote:
> I wanted to know about adding an "About Debian" menu item under the system
> menu. What's your idea? It can launch default web browser to
> http://www.debian.org/... or open a local page.

 Sounds like a good idea; you can add these to our gnome-panel, I
 suppose Ubuntu has a patch to do something similar for About Ubuntu
 which could be a base.  Perhaps debian-l10n-english@ can review the
 editorial content?

--
Loïc Minier

Re: Getting Ideas: About Debian menu item

Alan Baghumian
Hi,

We need a simple patch for this. An additional menu item and a desktop
file. Desktop file should run an application or link to an URL. Which one
is preffered?

Alan