Gigabyte MP30-AR1 sd card image

Eric Wallis
Can someone take an image of the stock sd card on this machine?  I have the machine but someone has previously removed the sd card and I've had no luck at all getting anything installed on the system.  I've done lots of googling but nothing has worked.  Or some other way to get ubuntu or debian on this thing would be appreciated as well.

Re: Gigabyte MP30-AR1 sd card image

Paul Wise via nm
On Mon, Jan 22, 2018 at 12:58 PM, Eric Wallis wrote:

> Or some other way to get ubuntu or debian on this
> thing would be appreciated as well.

Some links I found in the list archives:

http://chezphil.org/rwanda/index.html
https://lists.debian.org/msgid-search/1475165365069@...
https://lists.debian.org/msgid-search/1473442142701@...

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise

Re: Gigabyte MP30-AR1 sd card image

Marcin Juszkiewicz-4
W dniu 22.01.2018 o 05:58, Eric Wallis pisze:

> Can someone take an image of the stock sd card on this machine?  I have the
> machine but someone has previously removed the sd card and I've had no luck
> at all getting anything installed on the system.  I've done lots of
> googling but nothing has worked.  Or some other way to get ubuntu or debian
> on this thing would be appreciated as well.

Update firmware to UEFI one, boot Debian installer from USB? Should just
work.

SD slot in X-Gene based systems is handy only for rescue situation.

Re: Re: Gigabyte MP30-AR1 sd card image

Eric Wallis
I don't even get the Gigabyte logo or any opportunity to go into the bios.  It boots straight to uboot.  Here's what I'm getting:

U-Boot 2013.04-mp30ar0_sw_1.18.04 (Sep 02 2015 - 16:38:06) REV: F06b ( uart0 )

CPU0: APM ARM 64-bit Potenza Rev B0 2400MHz PCP 2400MHz
     32 KB ICACHE, 32 KB DCACHE
     SOC 2000MHz IOBAXI 400MHz AXI 250MHz AHB 200MHz GFC 125MHz
Boot from SPI-NOR
Slimpro FW:
        Ver: 2.4 (build 01.18.04.00 2015/08/13)
        TPC: disabled
        AVS: supported (margin: -0mV)
        RST: supported
        PWROFF: supported
        PMD: 970 mV
        SOC: 950 mV
Board: GIGABYTE MP30AR0 - AppliedMicro APM883408-xNA24SPT Customer Board

How do I go about flashing it to UEFI?  This thing is really throwing me for a loop.

On Tue, Jan 23, 2018 at 12:49 PM, Eric Wallis wrote:

> It boots straight to uboot.

Are you able to get a u-boot prompt? Usually u-boot will let you pause
the boot process and go to a prompt. You would probably need to attach
a serial cable.

> How do I go about flashing it to UEFI?

The link I posted before says that MP30-AR1 (what your initial mail
mentioned) was the UEFI version of the board, but you clearly have the
MP30-AR0 with u-boot instead.

The link I posted before mentions the MP30-AR1 uses a proprietary UEFI
implementation from American MegaTrends and I don't see any Gigabyte
support in TianoCore EDK2 platforms, so you are probably going to need
to contact your vendor for access to the proprietary UEFI
implementation.

https://github.com/tianocore/edk2-platforms/

That said, this page has some information about UEFI on the MP30-AR0:

https://rwmj.wordpress.com/2016/03/04/gigabyte-mp30-ar0/

PS: it looks like you bought off a vendor who isn't GPL compliant,
according to the link I posted, Gigabyte don't appear to supply source
to the version of busybox and Linux running on the BMC. If you are
able to confirm this is correct, you might want to report it to the
Software Freedom Conservancy, who represent busybox and Linux
developers and encourage GPL compliance on their behalf.

https://sfconservancy.org/copyleft-compliance/

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise

Re: Gigabyte MP30-AR1 sd card image

Phil Endecott-14
Hi Eric,

> Can someone take an image of the stock sd card on this machine?
> I have the machine but someone has previously removed the sd card
> and I've had no luck at all getting anything installed on the system.
> I've done lots of googling but nothing has worked.  Or some other
> way to get ubuntu or debian on this thing would be appreciated as well.

I'm the author of the web page that Paul linked to.

It definitely sounds like you have the older -AR0 board with U-Boot.
I don't know exactly what you have to do install Debian on that.
It might be possible to install the -AR1's UEFI, as Paul suggests in
his second email, but if I were you I'd be more tempted to try
TianoCore because the Gigabyte EFI is so awful; I know that others did
this before the -AR1 was released.

Anyway, once you have one UEFI or the other you should be able to
start the Debian installer from a USB flash drive or similar.  There's
a good chance it will work once you get to that point.

To answer your actual question: I didn't get an SD card with my board
nor have I ever heard any mention of one.

Good luck.

Regards, Phil.

Re: Re: Re: Gigabyte MP30-AR1 sd card image

Eric Wallis
Yes, it says mp30-ar0 on the terminal but the board has mp30-ar1 printed on it. Ah, something else to trip me up!  I will look at the links provided and see if I can get uefi on this thing.  Thanks again guys.

On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 3:02 AM, Phil Endecott wrote:

> I don't know exactly what you have to do install Debian on that.
> It might be possible to install the -AR1's UEFI, as Paul suggests in
> his second email, but if I were you I'd be more tempted to try
> TianoCore because the Gigabyte EFI is so awful; I know that others did
> this before the -AR1 was released.

Do you have any pointers to TianoCore for the Gigabyte MP30-AR0/1?

I couldn't find any mention of it in edk2-platforms.

PS: anyone planning on packaging edk2-platforms? We have edk2 in
Debian but it only supports virtual platforms.

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise

Re: Gigabyte MP30-AR1 sd card image

Phil Endecott-14
> Do you have any pointers to TianoCore for the Gigabyte MP30-AR0/1?

https://rwmj.wordpress.com/2016/03/05/notes-on-booting-rhelsa-on-the-gigabyte-mp30-ar0/

Which refers to

https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/arm-dev/2016-February/001626.html

Which refers to various things in Phong Vo from APM's dropbox....

Note I've never tried to do any of this myself.

Regards, Phil.

On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 7:35 PM, Phil Endecott wrote:

> https://rwmj.wordpress.com/2016/03/05/notes-on-booting-rhelsa-on-the-gigabyte-mp30-ar0/
> https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/arm-dev/2016-February/001626.html
> Which refers to various things in Phong Vo from APM's dropbox....

Ah, I ignored that because it was just a random blob on dropbox. I've
sent Phong a mail asking them to add the support to edk2-platforms.