Group created at Telegram: https://t.me/debian_nordics

Helio Loureiro
Hi,

For the ones already using telegram, we created a debian nordics group over there.

Feel free to join us.

Re: Group created at Telegram: https://t.me/debian_nordics

Luna Jernberg-2
Joined :)

On Tue, Jun 25, 2019 at 3:52 PM Helio Loureiro <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

For the ones already using telegram, we created a debian nordics group over there.

Feel free to join us.

Re: Group created at Telegram: https://t.me/debian_nordics

Andreas Gnau
Hi Helio,

On 2019-06-25 15:51, Helio Loureiro wrote:
> For the ones already using telegram, we created a debian nordics group
> over there.

I might join, but I am not sure whether it is a really good idea to
promote a non-free-service like Telegram from within Debian.

In terms of chat, we already have #debian-nordic, which is admittedly
pretty dead. For this reason, I am a bit skeptical whether adding a
fourth venue of communication besides the two mailinglists and
#debian-nordic on IRC will improve matters.

Note, that I don't mean to be discouraging and I do appreciate any
effort to put more life into the Nordic and Swedish Debian communities!

Regards, Andreas

Re: Group created at Telegram: https://t.me/debian_nordics

Mattias Axell-2
I agree with Andreas, would like a try to reboot chat based on a free
system (as well). However also agree on any initiative where Debian can
be present is good. I say "yes and" to Telegram (directed toward
newcomers) and hope to see you all at IRC!

Best,
Mattias

On 2019-06-25 18:34, Andreas Gnau wrote:

> Hi Helio,
>
> On 2019-06-25 15:51, Helio Loureiro wrote:
>> For the ones already using telegram, we created a debian nordics group
>> over there.
>
> I might join, but I am not sure whether it is a really good idea to
> promote a non-free-service like Telegram from within Debian.
>
> In terms of chat, we already have #debian-nordic, which is admittedly
> pretty dead. For this reason, I am a bit skeptical whether adding a
> fourth venue of communication besides the two mailinglists and
> #debian-nordic on IRC will improve matters.
>
> Note, that I don't mean to be discouraging and I do appreciate any
> effort to put more life into the Nordic and Swedish Debian communities!
>
> Regards, Andreas

Re: Group created at Telegram: https://t.me/debian_nordics

Otto Kekäläinen-4
I agree that we should encourage a true open source alternative like Mattermost or Matrix.org or Zulip instead.

Re: Group created at Telegram: https://t.me/debian_nordics

Helio Loureiro
Hi,

As much as I love free software, I also need to consider how to make things more active.

We can have IRC, Matrix, Mastodon, Diaspora, etc.  But the last two Debian meetups I hosted nobody from this mailing list showed up.  So we are talking about an empty audience.  And worse: during the events, nobody was using Debian in their laptops (me included).

And everything is definitely mobile nowadays.  Telegram isn't an attempt to hijack this mailing list or any other communication media, but to increase the possibilities.  Even for newcomers.

BTW I use the free software client named "plus" to access Telegram.

I agree that we should encourage a true open source alternative like Mattermost or Matrix.org or Zulip instead.

Re: Group created at Telegram: https://t.me/debian_nordics

Jonas Smedegaard-2
Reply only to lists: https://www.debian.org/MailingLists/#codeofconduct

Quoting Helio Loureiro (2019-06-27 10:50:54)
> As much as I love free software, I also need to consider how to make
> things more active.
>
> We can have IRC, Matrix, Mastodon, Diaspora, etc.  But the last two
> Debian meetups I hosted nobody from this mailing list showed up.  So
> we are talking about an empty audience.  And worse: during the events,
> nobody was using Debian in their laptops (me included).

If the kind of meetings you host are ones where non-Debian-users attend,
then perhaps it makes better sense to call them something else than
"Debian meetups".

> And everything is definitely mobile nowadays.  Telegram isn't an
> attempt to hijack this mailing list or any other communication media,
> but to increase the possibilities.  Even for newcomers.

Mobile is definitely a thing nowadays, but certainly not the only one.

Nice that you mention here that other user channels exist.

> BTW I use the free software client named "plus" to access Telegram.

Nice.  Even nicer if free software with a homepage and usable on
mainline linux - and if not already packaged in Debian then had an RFP
or ITP bureport filed - see http://www.debian.org/devel/wnpp/#l1

Good luck with that Telegram channel,

 - Jonas

 * Tlf.: +45 40843136  Website: http://dr.jones.dk/

 [x] quote me freely  [ ] ask before reusing  [ ] keep private

On 2019-06-27 12:00, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:

> Quoting Helio Loureiro (2019-06-27 10:50:54)
>> As much as I love free software, I also need to consider how to make
>> things more active.
>>
>> We can have IRC, Matrix, Mastodon, Diaspora, etc.  But the last two
>> Debian meetups I hosted nobody from this mailing list showed up.  So
>> we are talking about an empty audience.  And worse: during the events,
>> nobody was using Debian in their laptops (me included).
>
> If the kind of meetings you host are ones where non-Debian-users attend,
> then perhaps it makes better sense to call them something else than
> "Debian meetups".

Most effective way I learnt is to test out different descriptions and
approaches. One could call them Debian Meetups, or something else
(Debian-related of your choice) and announce them on all channels,
including mailing list, bring a Debian laptop and make the different
conversation topics Debian-related. If I could I would have attended,
and probably wanted to switch to Debian in time for those meetups. Maybe
starting a Debian association in Sweden would gauge and grow interest?

>> And everything is definitely mobile nowadays.  Telegram isn't an
>> attempt to hijack this mailing list or any other communication media,
>> but to increase the possibilities.  Even for newcomers.
>
> Mobile is definitely a thing nowadays, but certainly not the only one.
>
> Nice that you mention here that other user channels exist.

I say "yes and", and I'm for announcing on non-free channels and guide
people to free channels. Please continue to use all channels, and great
if more people find the mailing list.

>> BTW I use the free software client named "plus" to access Telegram.
>
> Nice.  Even nicer if free software with a homepage and usable on
> mainline linux - and if not already packaged in Debian then had an RFP
> or ITP bureport filed - see http://www.debian.org/devel/wnpp/#l1
>

> Good luck with that Telegram channel,
>
>   - Jonas

Good luck with all channels! ;)