Grrrrr, howinhell do I stop the 3 minutes of inactivity shutdown of a new stretch install?

Grrrrr, howinhell do I stop the 3 minutes of inactivity shutdown of a new stretch install?

Gene Heskett-4
Greetings all;

I have stretch about half installed. But everytime I setup synaptic to
install a few hundred of MY favs, and I leave to take care of my invalid
missus for 5 minutes, I come back to a shutdown machine,  blinking the
green power led, and the job I sent synaptic to do is only 5% done.

Then I just discovered the default system partition is 30 GB, and my
wheezy / is closer to 500GB, so needless to say, 14 hours and many
restarts later to move all my data, the / partition is full, and I've
60GB yet to copy.

I'm going to see if gparted can rescue me, but in terms of time killed,
I'm likely time ahead to go fight with the installers partitioner and
restart this 20 hour project.

But to have a snowballs chance it hell of getting it done this week yet,
I have got to shut the inactivity shutdown off, so how do I do that as
the first thing after the installers reboot? This machine is the master
of the rest of my local network, so its up continuously and that isn't
likely to change in my remaining lifetime.

Thanks.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Re: Grrrrr, howinhell do I stop the 3 minutes of inactivity shutdown of a new stretch install?

Gene Heskett-4
On Tuesday 02 April 2019 22:05:11 Gene Heskett wrote:

> Greetings all;
>
> I have stretch about half installed. But everytime I setup synaptic to
> install a few hundred of MY favs, and I leave to take care of my
> invalid missus for 5 minutes, I come back to a shutdown machine,
> blinking the green power led, and the job I sent synaptic to do is
> only 5% done.
>
> Then I just discovered the default system partition is 30 GB, and my
> wheezy / is closer to 500GB, so needless to say, 14 hours and many
> restarts later to move all my data, the / partition is full, and I've
> 60GB yet to copy.
>
> I'm going to see if gparted can rescue me, but in terms of time
> killed, I'm likely time ahead to go fight with the installers
> partitioner and restart this 20 hour project.
>
> But to have a snowballs chance it hell of getting it done this week
> yet, I have got to shut the inactivity shutdown off, so how do I do
> that as the first thing after the installers reboot? This machine is
> the master of the rest of my local network, so its up continuously and
> that isn't likely to change in my remaining lifetime.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Cheers, Gene Heskett

And the gparted for wheezy won't touch it. e2fsck is too old. So I'll
start a new install in the morning.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Re: Grrrrr, howinhell do I stop the 3 minutes of inactivity shutdown of a new stretch install?

Jonathan Dowland
On Tue, Apr 02, 2019 at 10:18:00PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
>And the gparted for wheezy won't touch it. e2fsck is too old. So I'll
>start a new install in the morning.

I have a vague recollection that we have been involved in a discussion
like this before, but, this is one reason I find LVM2 very useful; to
facilitate changing partition size decisions post-install.

--

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Jonathan Dowland

On Wednesday 03 April 2019 11:16:58 Jonathan Dowland wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 02, 2019 at 10:18:00PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> >And the gparted for wheezy won't touch it. e2fsck is too old. So I'll
> >start a new install in the morning.
>
> I have a vague recollection that we have been involved in a discussion
> like this before, but, this is one reason I find LVM2 very useful; to
> facilitate changing partition size decisions post-install.

Now I have an even bigger problem.

I have gone thru the netinstall of 9.8.0 at least 5 times. 1st time
failed for unk reasons, but would not reboot.  2nd time I let the
partitioner have its way on a 2T drive wiith a separate /home, so it
gave / 30GB and and about 17 gb to swap, the rest to /home.  That
rebooted, but 30GB for / is about 100GB too small by the time I move my
data.  So the next 3 times I've manually given / 500 GB, some swap, and
the rest as /home. Won't boot, does not even look at the drive, just
sits there forever with a blinking cursor.
So just how the heck  am I supposed to install stretch on a 2T drive?

Seems like a heck of a good question people...

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Re: Grrrrr, howinhell do I stop the 3 minutes of inactivity shutdown of a new stretch install?

Alexander V. Makartsev
On 03.04.2019 23:00, Gene Heskett wrote:
[...]

How old is your hardware (what is make model of your Motherboard)?
What partition table scheme do you use (GPT or MBR)?
How is your BIOS setup, do you use Legacy Boot or UEFI?
The problems you describe sound like a compatibility issues with Legacy Boot and GPT partition table scheme. [1]

If your motherboard is old, you basically, have to stick to Legacy Boot and MBR partition scheme and create a small (150-300MB is enough) dedicated /boot partition marked as active.
The rest of the drive could be partitioned in any way you want, just keep in mind MBR's maximum partition size is 2TB.

There is also a possibility of hardware incompatibility of your 2TB drive with chipset (ICH7) of your motherboard, or generic SATA cable connectivity issues, which should be also checked.
2TB is a magic size, just like it was yesterday with 8GB(CHS) or 137GB(28bit LBA). :)

[1] http://www.rodsbooks.com/gdisk/bios.html
--
With kindest regards, Alexander.

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀

Re: Grrrrr, howinhell do I stop the 3 minutes of inactivity shutdown of a new stretch install?

David Christensen
On 4/3/19 11:00 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:

> Now I have an even bigger problem.
>
> I have gone thru the netinstall of 9.8.0 at least 5 times. 1st time
> failed for unk reasons, but would not reboot.  2nd time I let the
> partitioner have its way on a 2T drive wiith a separate /home, so it
> gave / 30GB and and about 17 gb to swap, the rest to /home.  That
> rebooted, but 30GB for / is about 100GB too small by the time I move my
> data.  So the next 3 times I've manually given / 500 GB, some swap, and
> the rest as /home. Won't boot, does not even look at the drive, just
> sits there forever with a blinking cursor.
> So just how the heck  am I supposed to install stretch on a 2T drive?
>
> Seems like a heck of a good question people...

Answer: don't install Stretch onto a 2 TB drive -- install Stretch onto
a small SSD or USB flash drive.  (SSD's are better for interactive use.)
  Choose manual partitioning in the Debian installer, erase all existing
partitions, create a new partition table (will be MBR), create a 1 GB
partition and set it for btrfs and /boot, create a 1 GB partition and
set it for encrypted swap, and create a 10 GB partition and set it for
encrypted btrfs root.  Now you can move that image between any 16+ GB
device; it will fit and it will boot in many computers.

Use the 2 TB drive for bulk data.

David

On Wed, Apr 03, 2019 at 02:00:54PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
>I have gone thru the netinstall of 9.8.0 at least 5 times. 1st time
>failed for unk reasons, but would not reboot.  2nd time I let the
>partitioner have its way on a 2T drive wiith a separate /home, so it
>gave / 30GB and and about 17 gb to swap, the rest to /home.  That
>rebooted, but 30GB for / is about 100GB too small by the time I move my
>data.  So the next 3 times I've manually given / 500 GB, some swap, and
>the rest as /home. Won't boot, does not even look at the drive, just
>sits there forever with a blinking cursor.
>So just how the heck  am I supposed to install stretch on a 2T drive?

Remember to create a /boot partition.

--

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Jonathan Dowland