Grub Error 17: won't load after I add a new partition with cfdisk

Grub Error 17: won't load after I add a new partition with cfdisk

All Nicks Are Taken
I decided to add a new partition for /var , as it was beginning to fill up my root partition. so I added a new one with cfdisk, and then my whole partition numbering changed - every partition got incremented by 1. so I changed everything needed in fstab, then rebooted, and then grub gave me error 17 - I needed to boot up with my Debian CD, delete the new partition and then reboot again.
What do I need to do in order to prevent this? when I was using lilo, I just ran `lilo` after making a change to the partition table or kernel, and it was ok. I assume there is some parallel action needed to be done in grub, but what would it be ?
thanks in advance.

Re: Grub Error 17: won't load after I add a new partition with cfdisk

Srinidhi B S
Hi,

On 12/17/05, All Nicks Are Taken <[hidden email]> wrote:
> gave me error 17 - I needed to boot up with my Debian CD, delete the new partition and then reboot again.

According to Grub docs, error 17 refers to:

17 : Cannot mount selected partition This error is returned if the
partition requested exists, but the filesystem type cannot be
recognized by GRUB.

>  What do I need to do in order to prevent this? when I was using lilo, I just ran `lilo` after making a change to the partition table or kernel, and it was ok. I assume there is some parallel action needed to be done in grub, but what would it be ?

Since you didn't give the *exact* partition details, I'll take your
description of "every partition got incremented by 1". If this is the
case, then you were supposed to edit the menu.lst file and change the
device name for the kernel.

For example, if the menu.lst had an entry (before making changes to
partition table) similar to:

title     My kernel
root     (hd0,0)

then you need to update this entry (after making changes to the
partition table) as:

title     My kernel
root     (hd0,1)

I think this can be automated by running the 'update-grub' command.
This is just my thought, I've never done this kinda stuff and never
had a chance to run update-grub after making changes to the partition
table. Someone else in the list who has more experience with Grub will
be able to throw more light on this.

Hope this helps.

Srinidhi.

Re: Grub Error 17: won't load after I add a new partition with cfdisk

Paolo Pantaleo
2005/12/17, All Nicks Are Taken <[hidden email]>:

> I decided to add a new partition for /var , as it was beginning to fill up
> my root partition. so I added a new one with cfdisk, and then my whole
> partition numbering changed - every partition got incremented by 1. so I
> changed everything needed in fstab, then rebooted, and then grub gave me
> error 17 - I needed to boot up with my Debian CD, delete the new partition
> and then reboot again.
>  What do I need to do in order to prevent this? when I was using lilo, I
> just ran `lilo` after making a change to the partition table or kernel, and
> it was ok. I assume there is some parallel action needed to be done in grub,
> but what would it be ?
>  thanks in advance.

maybe knowing it now is useless...

(i have been a lilo fan for a while, but now I converted to grub)
with grub you do not need to use recover CD, you can enter in the
shell and modify the entry of your favorite kernel by hand specifing
the right device to boot from.

PAolo

--

If you feel is a good idea, pleas correct my poor English

if you have a minute to spend pleas visit my photogrphy site:
http://mypic.altervista.org