Help me find a project to join!

sph k2
Hi!

My name is Henrik. I have almost two years of experience of object-oriented programming and feel comfortable with Java, C#/C++, Python, MATLAB, GTK and Java Swing. Next month I will start my education to Master of Science in Engeneering at the Royal Institute of Technology in Sweden. I would like to contribute as a developer/programmer by writing code for a Debian project. I could do anything from building a GUI to writing a class for a specific problem. I am hoping joining a Debian project as a developer will improve my programming skills.

Please help me find a project to join! I have been looking through some bug reports and some projects that are up for adoption and I think I need some help to find a project that is on my level. What do debian developers usually start with?

Yours sincerely
Henrik

Re: Help me find a project to join!

Ben Finney-5
Henrik null <[hidden email]> writes:

> Please help me find a project to join! I have been looking through
> some bug reports and some projects that are up for adoption and I
> think I need some help to find a project that is on my level. What do
> debian developers usually start with?

You're going about it the right way: find bug reports that interest you,
dig into the problem and try to come up with a solution, submit a patch
to the bug report, correspond with the maintainer when they respond.

Keep repeating this and you'll:

* learn a great amount about the programs that make up Debian
* learn a great amount about how Debian packages are put together
* learn a great amount about how Debian itself is put together
* learn how to identify packages that are likely to match your skills
* learn how much patience is actually required with ongoing maintenance
* make a record of your interactions with Debian project members

all while making improvements to Debian with quick turn-around. Every
one of those is essential to becoming a good Debian project member, so
it's a very high-yield route to entry into the project.

Thank you for your enthusiasm to improve Debian, and good fortune to you
in scratching your itches!

--
 \         “True greatness is measured by how much freedom you give to |
  `\      others, not by how much you can coerce others to do what you |

Re: Help me find a project to join!

Asheesh Laroia
On Tue, 20 Jul 2010, Henrik null wrote:

> Hi!
>
> My name is Henrik. I have almost two years of experience of
> object-oriented programming and feel comfortable with Java, C#/C++,
> Python, MATLAB, GTK and Java Swing. Next month I will start my education
> to Master of Science in Engeneering at the Royal Institute of Technology
> in Sweden. I would like to contribute as a developer/programmer by
> writing code for a Debian project. I could do anything from building a
> GUI to writing a class for a specific problem. I am hoping joining a
> Debian project as a developer will improve my programming skills.

Hi! It's great to have the chance to have more people in Debian. Thanks
for sending an introduction email to the list!

> Please help me find a project to join! I have been looking through some
> bug reports and some projects that are up for adoption and I think I
> need some help to find a project that is on my level. What do debian
> developers usually start with?

A great deal of the work in Debian is packaging work -- work in mostly
shell and GNU makefiles, as well as careful reading of policy documents.
That's the way a lot of Debian developers contribute.

There are a few Debian-specific tools, like some web sites, the popularity
contest, and other Debian packaging-specific tools. If you liked Perl, I'd
suggest taking a look at bugs in lintian. Since you like Python, you might
want to poke at piuparts, a quality assurance tool written in Python. You
can read its bugs at http://bugs.debian.org/piuparts .

Another (really cool!) thing you could do is work on debexpo. That's a new
mentors.debian.net site. That's in Python. You can read about that at
http://debexpo.workaround.org/trac/.

And if you like C#, the CLI Applications team could use some more people.
You can read about them at http://wiki.debian.org/Teams/DebianCliAppsTeam
. They package desktop applications written in C# (usually GTK
applications) like F-Spot and Banshee. (Java people can chime in, too!)

Do any of these sound particularly exciting? If it's writing
application-level code, the Python experience you have is probably going
to come the most in handy. If you want to work as an interface between
Debian users and upstreams, you have plenty of room to get involved with
Java, C#, and C++.

But I think that finishing debexpo would probably be the most exciting
thing.

What do you think?

(-:,

-- Asheesh.

--
Conscience doth make cowards of us all.
  -- Shakespeare

Re: Help me find a project to join!

Andreas Tille-5
Hi Henrik,

thanks for your interest in Debian and your attempt to help.  In
addition to the other responses I might have some hint for you.  Your
introduction sounded like you are interested in sciences and so the
Debian Science Blend might be an interesting home for you.  You might
like to lurk on the Debian Science mailing list[1] and perhaps you might
like to have a look into the packages which are maintained in Debian
Science which are listed at the so called tasks pages[2].  Once you know
what packages belong to what task and to find a target to work on there
are also bugs pages which are listing all the bugs that are reported
against packages maintained by Debian Science.

Feel free to keep on asking on the list if something remains unclear.

Kind regards

       Andreas.

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-science
[2] http://blends.alioth.debian.org/science/tasks