Hostname v buster

Gene Heskett-4
Greetings;

I just updated a pi3 to buster, presumeably rc2.

But I used RealtimePi to install a 4.19.50-rt-v7 kernel into the image.

That conversion insists the hostname is realtimepi.  In stretch I could
fix it to the name I'm used to by setting hostname, then sudo chattr +i
hostname, and it would stick over a reboot, but not in buster, despite
the immutable bit being set, its been reset to realtimepi after a
reboot, this despite an lsattr still showing the i bit is still set!

So that I need help with, and since my network is static, avahi is
screwing with my routes, and that disables my dns lookups outside of my
local network because it issues a ping to an outside address from
the .local address in the 169/24 block.

So I've got to nuke whatever is sourceing the 169 junk to the ifup
command.

Help please & many thanks.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis

Re: Hostname v buster

Gene Heskett-4
On Friday 28 June 2019 21:37:13 Gene Heskett wrote:

ping, and I keep forgetting to actually ask the question...

> Greetings;
>
> I just updated a pi3 to buster, presumeably rc2.
>
> But I used RealtimePi to install a 4.19.50-rt-v7 kernel into the
> image.
>
> That conversion insists the hostname is realtimepi.  In stretch I
> could fix it to the name I'm used to by setting hostname, then sudo
> chattr +i hostname, and it would stick over a reboot, but not in
> buster, despite the immutable bit being set, its been reset to
> realtimepi after a reboot, this despite an lsattr still showing the i
> bit is still set!

So, how do I fix that so my hostname sticks after a reboot?

> So that I need help with, and since my network is static, avahi is
> screwing with my routes, and that disables my dns lookups outside of
> my local network because it issues a ping to an outside address from
> the .local address in the 169/24 block.
>
> So I've got to nuke whatever is sourceing the 169 junk to the ifup
> command.

How do I do that?

Help please & many thanks.

> Cheers, Gene Heskett

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis

Re: Hostname v buster

John Paul Adrian Glaubitz

> On Jun 29, 2019, at 3:37 AM, Gene Heskett <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> That conversion insists the hostname is realtimepi.  In stretch I could
> fix it to the name I'm used to by setting hostname, then sudo chattr +i
> hostname, and it would stick over a reboot, but not in buster, despite
> the immutable bit being set, its been reset to realtimepi after a
> reboot, this despite an lsattr still showing the i bit is still set!

Try hostnamectl:

# sudo hostnamectl set-hostname HOSTNAME

where HOSTNAME is your new hostname.

Adrian

Re: Hostname v buster

Gene Heskett-4
On Saturday 29 June 2019 09:25:23 John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:

> > On Jun 29, 2019, at 3:37 AM, Gene Heskett <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > That conversion insists the hostname is realtimepi.  In stretch I
> > could fix it to the name I'm used to by setting hostname, then sudo
> > chattr +i hostname, and it would stick over a reboot, but not in
> > buster, despite the immutable bit being set, its been reset to
> > realtimepi after a reboot, this despite an lsattr still showing the
> > i bit is still set!
>
> Try hostnamectl:
>
> # sudo hostnamectl set-hostname HOSTNAME
>
> where HOSTNAME is your new hostname.
>
> Adrian
That worked, many thanks

 but the 2nd question re the avahi BS is still screwing me up.
Outside dns lookup is working fine, and according to /etc/resolv.conf:

nameserver 192.168.71.1
search hosts nameserver

So a ping yahoo (or any site out of my local network)
root@picnc:/etc# ping yahoo.com
PING yahoo.com (98.138.219.231) 56(84) bytes of data.

resolves yahoo correctly, but

From 169.254.163.253 (169.254.163.253) icmp_seq=1 Destination Host
Unreachable
From 169.254.163.253 (169.254.163.253) icmp_seq=2 Destination Host
Unreachable
From 169.254.163.253 (169.254.163.253) icmp_seq=3 Destination Host
Unreachable

I can't find a trace of those addresses anyplace in /etc so how do I get
rid of them forever?

apt purge avahi-* gives:
[...]
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  avahi-daemon* libnss-mdns*

Is this safe on a staticly defined network?

Thanks.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis

Re: Hostname v buster

Gene Heskett-4
On Saturday 29 June 2019 13:08:39 Gene Heskett wrote:

> On Saturday 29 June 2019 09:25:23 John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> > > On Jun 29, 2019, at 3:37 AM, Gene Heskett <[hidden email]>
> > > wrote:
> > >
> > > That conversion insists the hostname is realtimepi.  In stretch I
> > > could fix it to the name I'm used to by setting hostname, then
> > > sudo chattr +i hostname, and it would stick over a reboot, but not
> > > in buster, despite the immutable bit being set, its been reset to
> > > realtimepi after a reboot, this despite an lsattr still showing
> > > the i bit is still set!
> >
> > Try hostnamectl:
> >
> > # sudo hostnamectl set-hostname HOSTNAME
> >
> > where HOSTNAME is your new hostname.
> >
> > Adrian
>
> That worked, many thanks
>
>  but the 2nd question re the avahi BS is still screwing me up.
> Outside dns lookup is working fine, and according to /etc/resolv.conf:
>
> nameserver 192.168.71.1
> search hosts nameserver
>
> So a ping yahoo (or any site out of my local network)
> root@picnc:/etc# ping yahoo.com
> PING yahoo.com (98.138.219.231) 56(84) bytes of data.
>
> resolves yahoo correctly, but
>
> From 169.254.163.253 (169.254.163.253) icmp_seq=1 Destination Host
> Unreachable
> From 169.254.163.253 (169.254.163.253) icmp_seq=2 Destination Host
> Unreachable
> From 169.254.163.253 (169.254.163.253) icmp_seq=3 Destination Host
> Unreachable
>
> I can't find a trace of those addresses anyplace in /etc so how do I
> get rid of them forever?
>
> apt purge avahi-* gives:
> [...]
> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>   avahi-daemon* libnss-mdns*
>
> Is this safe on a staticly defined network?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Cheers, Gene Heskett

moot point on this u-sd card, made by realtimpi it does not contain a
realtime kernel. So I find in a pile of 64GB cards, a stretch full using
4.14.something-rt-v7 and do some net snooping.  And thats because
downloads.raspberrypi.org does not have a buster available yet.  Another
day wasted.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis

Re: Hostname v buster

Robert Nelson-4
On Sat, Jun 29, 2019 at 3:31 PM Gene Heskett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> moot point on this u-sd card, made by realtimpi it does not contain a
> realtime kernel. So I find in a pile of 64GB cards, a stretch full using
> 4.14.something-rt-v7 and do some net snooping.  And thats because
> downloads.raspberrypi.org does not have a buster available yet.  Another
> day wasted.

http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbian/images/raspbian-2019-06-24/

Robert Nelson
https://rcn-ee.com/

Re: Hostname v buster

Gene Heskett-4
On Sunday 30 June 2019 23:16:29 Robert Nelson wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 29, 2019 at 3:31 PM Gene Heskett <[hidden email]>
wrote:
> > moot point on this u-sd card, made by realtimpi it does not contain
> > a realtime kernel. So I find in a pile of 64GB cards, a stretch full
> > using 4.14.something-rt-v7 and do some net snooping.  And thats
> > because downloads.raspberrypi.org does not have a buster available
> > yet.  Another day wasted.
>
> http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbian/images/raspbian-2019-06-24/
>
> Regards,

That is the one it did not convert, same 1.1GB size but named
buster-lite. I wound up with a plain 4.19.50 kernel in the image.  I can
repeat it again and send someone the build.log, but its huge. About 20k.
I had a hell of a time pulling it as I did a google search, and when the
download had started, google was still in the firefox address  bar, and
I had to restart a timedout fail several hundred times.  So I'm doing it
again, and its coming it at an average of 1 meg/sec this time. I got the
sha512 and info files too.

Is there anything I need to do to cleanup before I start a fresh run?

Thanks a bunch Robert.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis

Re: Hostname v buster

grumpy-2
> I had a hell of a time pulling it as I did a google search, and when the
> download had started, google was still in the firefox address  bar, and
> I had to restart a timedout fail several hundred times.  So I'm doing it
> again, and its coming it at an average of 1 meg/sec this time. I got the
> sha512 and info files too.

try wget

Re: Hostname v buster

Alan Corey
Absolutely. Or maybe curl.  If you can get the file's URL, and if the
site you're downloading from will let you, some won't.  Usually you
can right-click on a link and do "copy link location" then type
wget <paste>

You can also start the download (or on a failed one), go to tools ->
downloads, right-click on the file in there and do copy link location.

In the past years few some sites won't let you do this because it
somehow knows it's not your browser anymore.  Then you're doomed to
download with Firefox.  I used to do this on dialup at 10 MB/hour at
best.

I'd make a file where I wanted the download called url.txt (they come
in handy later too sometimes) with just the url in it.  Then call wget
from a script that loops until it's done.  I call this getit, chmod +x
so it's executable, and keep it in the path like /usr/local/bin

-------
#!/bin/sh
# Wget gives up on being unable to resolve a host and quits returning an
# error.  This retries until no error is returned.

# Problem is:
# 416 Requested Range Not Satisfiable
# The file is already fully retrieved; nothing to do.
# also returns non-zero so it gets into a loop sometimes at the end

while true
do
wget -c --no-check-certificate -i url.txt && break
echo "Restarting wget"
sleep 2
done
-------

--
-------------
No, I won't  call it "climate change", do you have a "reality problem"? - AB1JX
Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach

Re: Hostname v buster

Cindy Sue Causey
>> I had a hell of a time pulling it as I did a google search, and when the
>> download had started, google was still in the firefox address  bar, and
>> I had to restart a timedout fail several hundred times.  So I'm doing it
>> again, and its coming it at an average of 1 meg/sec this time. I got the
>> sha512 and info files too.
>>

> try wget

Oh, my gosh, YES! "wget -c" rocks on dialup!

After a quick search, from "man wget" comes:

-t number OR --tries=number: Set number of tries to number. Specify 0
or inf for infinite retrying. The default is to retry 20 times, with
the exception of fatal errors like "connection refused" or "not found"
(404), which are not retried.

For the "-c" flag:

-c OR --continue: Continue getting a partially-downloaded file.  This
is useful when you want to finish up a download started by a previous
instance of Wget, or by another program.

"wget -c" has been a HUGE HERO in last few weeks. For some reason,
"apt-get install" has multiple times now DELETED partial downloads and
started over when it's for same upgrade version number. Never had that
happen before.

That's a pain when it's e.g. 20 or 30MB partials that represent 2 or 3
hours of download wear-and-tear time. "wget -c" gets in there and
successfully FINISHES off that exact same partial dotDEB archive
download now. YES... I've had to learn to... incrementally backup even
partial dotDEB downloads for moments just like this. You do what you
gotta do when *IT WORKS!*

PS #ThankYou, Developers!

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey

* runs with birdseed.. and possibly even a Raspberry Pi sooner than
later! k/t #OSNews for being the first to get giddy with that news in
my inbox last week. *

Re: Hostname v buster

Alan Corey
BitTorrent is also good when you can use it.  The site has to have a
torrent link.  The Raspberry Pi site does this for their images.  I
used to use Transmisssion as a client, now I use Deluge (It's in the
debs).

If you have cell phone service where you live you can get an
"unlimited" plan from Straight Talk (AT&T towers) with a limit of
50-60 GB/month for about $60/month.  This does voice/text/data.  It's
at least 10x dialup, maybe 100x, haven't timed it.  I've been on
unlimited about a year.  Turn on the wifi hotspot option on your phone
and use wifi to connect everything through it.  Phones you buy from a
company like Verizon can't do this, they've been crippled at the
factory because the carrier doesn't want you doing it.  I've had 4
Motorolas, 2 came from Motorola, 2 from eBay.  Same model # as a
contract phone but they aren't crippled.  You can also unlock the
bootloader, root it, install Ubuntu Touch instead of Android, etc.  I
got my first cell phone to text with, never expected to get on the
internet through it.  Straight Talk mostly uses unlocked phones.

--
-------------

On Monday 01 July 2019 06:44:13 Gene Heskett wrote:

> On Sunday 30 June 2019 23:16:29 Robert Nelson wrote:
> > On Sat, Jun 29, 2019 at 3:31 PM Gene Heskett <[hidden email]>
>
> wrote:
> > > moot point on this u-sd card, made by realtimpi it does not
> > > contain a realtime kernel. So I find in a pile of 64GB cards, a
> > > stretch full using 4.14.something-rt-v7 and do some net snooping.
> > > And thats because downloads.raspberrypi.org does not have a buster
> > > available yet.  Another day wasted.
> >
> > http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbian/images/raspbian-2019-06-24
> >/
> >
> > Regards,
>
> That is the one it did not convert, same 1.1GB size but named
> buster-lite. I wound up with a plain 4.19.50 kernel in the image.  I
> can repeat it again and send someone the build.log, but its huge.
> About 20k. I had a hell of a time pulling it as I did a google search,
> and when the download had started, google was still in the firefox
> address  bar, and I had to restart a timedout fail several hundred
> times.  So I'm doing it again, and its coming it at an average of 1
> meg/sec this time. I got the sha512 and info files too.
>
> Is there anything I need to do to cleanup before I start a fresh run?
>
> Thanks a bunch Robert.
>
> Cheers, Gene Heskett

Now I am puzzled. Watching the build log, its making 4.14-y, not 4.19.50,
so that file may say buster, but its stretch? 4.14.y is still the old
framestore video and you can count the frames per second on your fingers
without useing a second hand.  Grrrr

Well, it finished but didn't, the 60 GB ssd I was building on went
read-only

  CC [M]  drivers/net/wireless/realtek/rtl818x/rtl8187/rfkill.o
drivers/net/wireless/marvell/mwifiex/11n.c:915:1: fatal error: error
writing to /tmp/ccHH2PtL.s: Read-only file system
 }
 ^
compilation terminated.

I have a 120GB also mounted, this 60 does't like being on a usb2 plug as
its gone read-only several times now.

I'll move this to the 120GB as its adapter is a slightly different style.
And I will do fresh git clones of this stuff since this built a 4.14.114
kernel. Without the 4.9.50-rt theres no hope of any improved video
rendering speed so I might as well stick to the stretch its running on
now.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis