How do you know if the company where you're interviewing is women-in-tech friendly?

How do you know if the company where you're interviewing is women-in-tech friendly?

estherschindler
I’m thinking of writing a (hopefully both fun and useful) listicle with advice from “women who have been there” for spotting companies that really mean it when they say, “We want more geek women here.”

There’s lots of articles about negative things that should scare you away. What are your POSITIVE signs that the company is welcoming to geek chicks? Let’s help other women recognize them (or highlight them to enlightened hiring managers).

These can be (and probably are) small things you notice, even when you’re interviewing. For example:
* The t-shirts they give out are available in women’s size small
* Your interview schedule includes more than one woman, and nobody thinks to point it out as exceptional
* The company benefits include on-site child care, extensive parental leave, or other family-friendly things
* They actively recruit at women-in-tech events such as the Grace Hopper conference

I’m not planning to quote anybody; it’s the takeaways that matter, not sources. The most I might do is a first-name-anecdote (“Irene once interviewed for a programming internship, where this happened…”). I’ll take hearsay too (“My friend applied for a job where…”), because again I think it’s the “good ideas” that matter rather than fact-checked attributions.

What should I include? And why would you consider that item a heartening sign?

—Esther

—Esther

Re: How do you know if the company where you're interviewing is women-in-tech friendly?

Daniel Barrientos M.
- Institutional rejection to sexist comments and overall consciousness about gender issues. (This might imply talks about gender and sexism).
- Presence of women and/or sexual minorities because of their abilities and not because of their gender. Many institutions might have sexual minorities for something aesthetical or by law.
- Not making a big deal about women in tech. If it is a big deal, then there is probably a differentiated behavior with women.

Good luck!

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

El mayo de 10 de 2018 8:32 PM, Juliana Louback <[hidden email]> escribió:

[...]

—Esther

Re: How do you know if the company where you're interviewing is women-in-tech friendly?

Gunnar Wolf via nm
Esther Schindler dijo [Thu, May 10, 2018 at 04:16:33PM -0700]:
> I’m thinking of writing a (hopefully both fun and useful) listicle
> with advice from “women who have been there” for spotting companies
> that really mean it when they say, “We want more geek women here.”
> (...)
> What should I include? And why would you consider that item a
> heartening sign?

I don't know if there is (or should be) a real difference between
wanting "more women here" and wanting "more geek women here". I mean -
I know your work, and I know the peculiarities and distortions our
work field poses on us. However, laboral oppression is not exclusive
to the "geeky" side.

In my university, a protocol for handling abuse against women in the
workplace was enacted maybe two years ago. I am part of the "inner
council" of a smallish research institute in the university. Of
course, it's a completely different issue mandating something and have
it properly implemented. There was a recent complaint about a male
worker who hit (seemingly jokingly) a woman. We got many complaints
stating this person's behavior is recurrent (although we cannot
_legally_ act on many of the things we were told, as they happened
years ago and weren't followed through). Our Director explained to us
that the appropriate administrative steps were taken, but the
university's legislation makes it clear that the penalization at this
stage should be between one and eight days on unpaid leave.

Anyway - What I wanted to point towards: I knew about many of the
details because I'm part of this Council. I think this kind of
procedures and the reasoning behind their resolutions must be clearly
communicated; violence over women is something for which we must push
the culture to change. Making aggressions and consequences known
might sound harsh and invasive for the aggressor, but it _has_ to be
known (and it has to be known to be addressed) if we ever expect it to
really stop.

Re: How do you know if the company where you're interviewing is women-in-tech friendly?

estherschindler
Thank you so much to the many women (here and elsewhere) who gave me suggestions. Here’s the article!

How to know when a company is women-in-tech friendly
Many organizations sincerely want to hire more women and grow them into leadership roles. However, most of us have also encountered “the other kind.” How can you tell the difference before you accept the job?