How to install firmware-linux-nonfree

Dave Horsfall
Acer Aspire E15, running Jessie (latest).

At boot, it bleats: "drm:radeon_pci_probe] *ERROR* radeon kernel
modesetting for R600 or later requires firmware-linux-nonfree" so I
installed it with "apt-get install ...", but it made no difference.  What
else needs to be done?

Also, the WiFi does not work on 5GHz; is there an update for that?  Output
of "lsusb":

    Bus 002 Device 003: ID 06cb:2970 Synaptics, Inc.
    Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0438:7900 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 001 Device 006: ID 04f2:b469 Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd
    Bus 001 Device 005: ID 04ca:300b Lite-On Technology Corp.
    Bus 001 Device 004: ID 2188:0ae1
    Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0bda:2838 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL2838 DVB-T
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0438:7900 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
    Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
    Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

Thanks.

Dave Horsfall DTM (VK2KFU)  "Those who don't understand security will suffer."

Re: How to install firmware-linux-nonfree

Dave Horsfall
On Wed, 12 Jul 2017, Dave Horsfall wrote:

> Acer Aspire E15, running Jessie (latest).
>
> At boot, it bleats: "drm:radeon_pci_probe] *ERROR* radeon kernel
> modesetting for R600 or later requires firmware-linux-nonfree" so I
> installed it with "apt-get install ...", but it made no difference.
> What else needs to be done?

Odd...  I repeated the command, and this time it worked.  I hate that, as
it didn't actually identify the problem.

> Also, the WiFi does not work on 5GHz; is there an update for that?

The 802.11b/g/n still doesn't see my 5GHz AP (but my obsolete MacBook
does).

Dave Horsfall DTM (VK2KFU)  "Those who don't understand security will suffer."

Re: How to install firmware-linux-nonfree

Matus UHLAR - fantomas

On 12.07.17 11:44, Dave Horsfall wrote:
>Odd...  I repeated the command, and this time it worked.  I hate that, as
>it didn't actually identify the problem.

did you reboot after installing the firmware?
It's possible that after FW installation problem won't appear again
(I hate this kind of problems too)

>> Also, the WiFi does not work on 5GHz; is there an update for that?
>
>The 802.11b/g/n still doesn't see my 5GHz AP (but my obsolete MacBook
>does).

I think that one requires firmware-atheros, did you install this one?

On Wed, 12 Jul 2017, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:

> did you reboot after installing the firmware?

Yep...

> It's possible that after FW installation problem won't appear again (I
> hate this kind of problems too)

It was likely something odd with my environment at the time; I vaguely
recall seeing a message about "ldconfig: not found" flashing by.

> > > Also, the WiFi does not work on 5GHz; is there an update for that?
> >
> > The 802.11b/g/n still doesn't see my 5GHz AP (but my obsolete MacBook
> > does).
>
> I think that one requires firmware-atheros, did you install this one?

Yes, unless there's a more recent one.  It works just fine on 2.4GHz.
I'll try re-installing it, and hey!  It's updating it to 0.43!  But no,
it's still not seeing my 5GHz network, only the 2.4GHz one; I guess I'll
have to wait for someone to reverse-engineer the chip even further (or
dump the thing in favour of one that's a little less proprietary).

Thanks for your help anyway.

Dave Horsfall DTM (VK2KFU)  "Those who don't understand security will suffer."

Re: How to install firmware-linux-nonfree

Florian Reitmeir
Am 12.07.2017 um 03:44 schrieb Dave Horsfall:

> On Wed, 12 Jul 2017, Dave Horsfall wrote:
>
>> Acer Aspire E15, running Jessie (latest).
>>
>> At boot, it bleats: "drm:radeon_pci_probe] *ERROR* radeon kernel
>> modesetting for R600 or later requires firmware-linux-nonfree" so I
>> installed it with "apt-get install ...", but it made no difference.
>> What else needs to be done?
> Odd...  I repeated the command, and this time it worked.  I hate that, as
> it didn't actually identify the problem.
>
>> Also, the WiFi does not work on 5GHz; is there an update for that?
> The 802.11b/g/n still doesn't see my 5GHz AP (but my obsolete MacBook
> does).

802.11bgn is only 2,4ghz, for 5ghz you would 802.11abgn or 802.11ac

greetings

--
Dipl.-Inf. Florian Reitmeir | Pradlerstr 29a - Top 13 | 6020 Innsbruck
+43 670 6051903 | PGP E3F7 DDFB 7CEB 121B 156A D11F F22E DEC8 6317 5E70

On Sat, 15 Jul 2017, DI Florian Reitmeir wrote:

> 802.11bgn is only 2,4ghz, for 5ghz you would 802.11abgn or 802.11ac

Quoting from Wikipedia: "802.11n can use either the 2.4 GHz or the 5 GHz
band"; does that not mean what it seems to say?

Am 15.07.2017 um 03:34 schrieb Dave Horsfall:
> On Sat, 15 Jul 2017, DI Florian Reitmeir wrote:
>
>> 802.11bgn is only 2,4ghz, for 5ghz you would 802.11abgn or 802.11ac
> Quoting from Wikipedia: "802.11n can use either the 2.4 GHz or the 5 GHz
> band"; does that not mean what it seems to say?
this is not wrong, but nearly all adapters support wireless to the very
old 801.11b for compatibility.
so if an adapter support 5ghz, he will in 99% also support 802.11a
but if he supports 802.11n 5ghz is not mandatory

you can also post which chipset your notebook uses, but most devices
only support 2,4ghz

--
Dipl.-Inf. Florian Reitmeir | Pradlerstr 29a - Top 13 | 6020 Innsbruck
+43 670 6051903 | PGP E3F7 DDFB 7CEB 121B 156A D11F F22E DEC8 6317 5E70

Re: How to install firmware-linux-nonfree

Dave Horsfall
On Sat, 15 Jul 2017, DI Florian Reitmeir wrote:

> > Quoting from Wikipedia: "802.11n can use either the 2.4 GHz or the 5
> > GHz band"; does that not mean what it seems to say?
>
> this is not wrong, but nearly all adapters support wireless to the very
> old 801.11b for compatibility. so if an adapter support 5ghz, he will in
> 99% also support 802.11a but if he supports 802.11n 5ghz is not
> mandatory

Ah, so it *might* support 5GHz... :-(  Thanks.

> you can also post which chipset your notebook uses, but most devices
> only support 2,4ghz

Oops, I forgot; "lsusb" plays its cards close to its chest, but I found
this in "dmesg": Atheros AR9565 Rev:1.  After some searching, I see that
it doesn't do 5GHz...

Will trade Acer Aspire E-15 for a Debian-compatible laptop if it does
802.11a :-)

Dave Horsfall DTM (VK2KFU)  "Those who don't understand security will suffer."

Re: How to install firmware-linux-nonfree

Dekks Herton

Can you not swap the wifi card out for a better one?

Am 16.07.2017 um 10:07 schrieb Dekks Herton:

> Dave Horsfall <[hidden email]> writes:
>>> the 5 > GHz band"; does that not mean what it seems to say?
>>>
>>> this is not wrong, but nearly all adapters support wireless to the
>>> very old 801.11b for compatibility. so if an adapter support 5ghz,
>>> he will in 99% also support 802.11a but if he supports 802.11n 5ghz
>>> is not mandatory
>> Ah, so it *might* support 5GHz... :-(  Thanks.
>>> you can also post which chipset your notebook uses, but most devices
>>> only support 2,4ghz
>> Oops, I forgot; "lsusb" plays its cards close to its chest, but I
>> found this in "dmesg": Atheros AR9565 Rev:1.  After some searching, I
>> see that it doesn't do 5GHz...
>>
>> Will trade Acer Aspire E-15 for a Debian-compatible laptop if it does
>> 802.11a :-)
> Can you not swap the wifi card out for a better one?
on most systems this is simple not possible to the fact, that for 5ghz
you would need an extra antenna in the laptop case.

On Sun, 16 Jul 2017, Dekks Herton wrote:

> > Will trade Acer Aspire E-15 for a Debian-compatible laptop if it does
> > 802.11a :-)
>
> Can you not swap the wifi card out for a better one?

On a laptop?  Thou jests...  I suppose I could look for a USB one though.

On Sun, 16 Jul 2017, Josh Blagden wrote:

> On most laptops, you can replace the wireless card. It's usually what's
> called a Field Replaceable Unit (FRU), meaning it can actually be
> replaced. Well, unless you're using an ultrabook or some other
> super-thin laptop.

OK, thanks; I'll check it out.  It's just a "normal" laptop.

Dave Horsfall DTM (VK2KFU)  "Those who don't understand security will suffer."

Re: How to install firmware-linux-nonfree

Josh Blagden

FYI, the FSF has a list of wireless cards that will work. Though, specifically they have open-source firmware. The FSF refers to them as "hardware which Respects Your Freedom (RSF)". I'm not a big fan of the FSF (I prefer OSI), but that list is a start.

Also, Broadcom wireless cards often work in Linux. Cruise around Amazon and check for Broadcom wireless cards for laptops, and then check to see if they work in Linux. If they don't say, you can always ask using the question section on the page.

DI Florian Reitmeir <[hidden email]> writes:

> Am 16.07.2017 um 10:07 schrieb Dekks Herton:
>> Dave Horsfall <[hidden email]> writes:

>>> Ah, so it *might* support 5GHz... :-(  Thanks.
>>> Oops, I forgot; "lsusb" plays its cards close to its chest,
>>> but I
>>> found this in "dmesg": Atheros AR9565 Rev:1.  After some
>>> searching, I
>>> see that it doesn't do 5GHz...
>>>
>>> Will trade Acer Aspire E-15 for a Debian-compatible laptop if
>>> it does
>>> 802.11a :-)
>> Can you not swap the wifi card out for a better one?
> on most systems this is simple not possible to the fact, that
> for 5ghz
> you would need an extra antenna in the laptop case.

True if the OP wants 5ghz but not all wifi cards are equal. WRT
Linux anything Realtek IMO should be removed and an eqivalent
intel/atheros installed.

On 17.07.17 08:02, Dave Horsfall wrote:
>On a laptop?  Thou jests...  I suppose I could look for a USB one though.

many laptops have their WLAN in miniPCI-e cards, acer E15 seems to be te
case:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=rmsFDi_qsnQ#t=176

OTOH I'm not sure whether it needs 5ghz antenna
(would have to look at my home E15)
Linux IS user friendly, it's just selective who its friends are...