How to update upstream when upstream has no releases

How to update upstream when upstream has no releases

Tong Sun-2
Hi,

How to use `gbp import-orig` to update upstream when upstream has no releases?

I was using `gbp import-orig --sign-tags --uscan` but it seems that
`--uscan` cannot be used with `gbp import-orig` under the case of no
upstream releases.

I'm using the Dep14 Workflow so no pristine tar branch needed.

Thanks

Re: How to update upstream when upstream has no releases

Robin Gustafsson
Hi Tong Sun,

> I was using `gbp import-orig --sign-tags --uscan` but it seems that
> `--uscan` cannot be used with `gbp import-orig` under the case of no
> upstream releases.

I believe it'll work if the debian/watch file is set up such as to
have uscan download the upstream's git repo. The "direct access to the
git repository" sections in the uscan manual provides examples of what
I'm referring to.

Regards,
Robin

Re: How to update upstream when upstream has no releases

Tobias Frost
On Sat, Apr 04, 2020 at 01:10:59PM -0400, Tong Sun wrote:

> Hi,
>
> How to use `gbp import-orig` to update upstream when upstream has no releases?
>
> I was using `gbp import-orig --sign-tags --uscan` but it seems that
> `--uscan` cannot be used with `gbp import-orig` under the case of no
> upstream releases.
>
> I'm using the Dep14 Workflow so no pristine tar branch needed.
>
> Thanks

Newer uscan can also work with git repos; at least this is what I do e.g with
dhewm3... Maybe this helps:
https://salsa.debian.org/games-team/dhewm3/-/blob/master/debian/watch

tobi

Re: How to update upstream when upstream has no releases

Tong Sun-2
On Sat, Apr 4, 2020 at 1:53 PM Robin Gustafsson - [hidden email]
<pkgoyq.xpt.7299e97f82.robin#[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Tong Sun,
>
> > I was using `gbp import-orig --sign-tags --uscan` but it seems that
> > `--uscan` cannot be used with `gbp import-orig` under the case of no
> > upstream releases.
>
> I believe it'll work if the debian/watch file is set up such as to
> have uscan download the upstream's git repo. The "direct access to the
> git repository" sections in the uscan manual provides examples of what
> I'm referring to.

Thanks to all who replied.

This is my debian/watch file
(https://salsa.debian.org/go-team/packages/golang-github-tonistiigi-fsutil/-/blob/debian/sid/debian/watch)

version=4
opts="mode=git, pgpmode=none" \
  https://github.com/tonistiigi/fsutil.git \
  HEAD debian

but when I ran it, I got the following error:

gbp:error: Uscan failed: Filename pattern missing version delimiters
() without filenamemangle

I can't quite interpret what it is telling me, and I didn't find much
on the Internet that fix it.

Searching through
https://people.debian.org/~osamu/uscan.html#direct-access-to-the-git-repository
for KW "Filename", I didn't find much good explanation either.

Re: How to update upstream when upstream has no releases

Tong Sun-2
On Sat, Apr 4, 2020 at 5:48 PM Tong Sun
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 4, 2020 at 1:53 PM Robin Gustafsson - [hidden email]
> <pkgoyq.xpt.7299e97f82.robin#[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Tong Sun,
> >
> > > I was using `gbp import-orig --sign-tags --uscan` but it seems that
> > > `--uscan` cannot be used with `gbp import-orig` under the case of no
> > > upstream releases.
> >
> > I believe it'll work if the debian/watch file is set up such as to
> > have uscan download the upstream's git repo. The "direct access to the
> > git repository" sections in the uscan manual provides examples of what
> > I'm referring to.
>
> Thanks to all who replied.
>
> This is my debian/watch file
> (https://salsa.debian.org/go-team/packages/golang-github-tonistiigi-fsutil/-/blob/debian/sid/debian/watch)
>
> version=4
> opts="mode=git, pgpmode=none" \
>   https://github.com/tonistiigi/fsutil.git \
>   HEAD debian
>
> but when I ran it, I got the following error:
>
> gbp:error: Uscan failed: Filename pattern missing version delimiters
> () without filenamemangle

Sorry, I fix it -- I should have ran it within my docker but not outside it.