How to use password-protected wireless networks?

How to use password-protected wireless networks?

John O'Hagan
Hi all,

Running testing on a wireless equipped laptop, I can usually get on to any
available networks using some combination of ifupdown, ifplugd, whereami,
resolvconf, kwifimanager etc.

One situation which has stumped me, however, is when the network requires a
password (which I have, of course, been given!): how do I enter the password?

Some networks simply redirect your browser to a login page; no problem there.
And I'm not talking about encryption. It's the ones for which my Mac-using
colleagues simply enter the password into a little dialog that pops up
automatically when the network needs one.

How does the Debian user do it?

Thanks,

John

P.S. Please CC me.

Re: How to use password-protected wireless networks?

MB-3
John O'Hagan wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>Running testing on a wireless equipped laptop, I can usually get on to any
>available networks using some combination of ifupdown, ifplugd, whereami,
>resolvconf, kwifimanager etc.
>
>One situation which has stumped me, however, is when the network requires a
>password (which I have, of course, been given!): how do I enter the password?
>
>Some networks simply redirect your browser to a login page; no problem there.
>And I'm not talking about encryption. It's the ones for which my Mac-using
>colleagues simply enter the password into a little dialog that pops up
>automatically when the network needs one.
>
>How does the Debian user do it?
>
>Thanks,
>
>John
>
>P.S. Please CC me.

John,

take a look at iwconfig.  to enter the key:

iwconfig eth0 key 1234567890ABCDEF

There may be an applet that does the same thing, but this is the command
line that I use.

-Mark

Re: How to use password-protected wireless networks?

Nico Golde
Hallo John,

* John O'Hagan <[hidden email]> [2005-10-08 18:33]:
> Running testing on a wireless equipped laptop, I can usually get on to any
> available networks using some combination of ifupdown, ifplugd, whereami,
> resolvconf, kwifimanager etc.
>
> One situation which has stumped me, however, is when the network requires a
> password (which I have, of course, been given!): how do I enter the password?

If we talk about wep iwconfig eth0 (or whatever) key foobar
regards nico
--
Nico Golde - JAB: [hidden email] | GPG: 0x73647CFF
http://www.ngolde.de | http://www.muttng.org | http://grml.org

Re: How to use password-protected wireless networks?

Dave Loftis
John,

I use iwconfig and iwlist (in the wireless-tools package).

`iwlist <interface> scan` will give you a list of available networks.
`iwconfig essid '<network-id>'` will connect you to a network (most of the time)
`iwconfig key AA:AA:AA:AA:AA` will set your key.
`ifconfig <interface> up` brings up the interface.
`dhclient <interface>` obviously forces it to dhcp.

That's the long and short of what I do.

regards, dave.

On 10/8/05, John O'Hagan <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

Running testing on a wireless equipped laptop, I can usually get on to any
available networks using some combination of ifupdown, ifplugd, whereami,
resolvconf, kwifimanager etc.

One situation which has stumped me, however, is when the network requires a
password (which I have, of course, been given!): how do I enter the password?

Some networks simply redirect your browser to a login page; no problem there.
And I'm not talking about encryption. It's the ones for which my Mac-using
colleagues simply enter the password into a little dialog that pops up
automatically when the network needs one.

How does the Debian user do it?

Thanks,

John

P.S. Please CC me.

Re: How to use password-protected wireless networks?

Andrew McMillan
On Sun, 2005-10-09 at 01:57 +1000, John O'Hagan wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Running testing on a wireless equipped laptop, I can usually get on to any
> available networks using some combination of ifupdown, ifplugd, whereami,
> resolvconf, kwifimanager etc.
>
> One situation which has stumped me, however, is when the network requires a
> password (which I have, of course, been given!): how do I enter the password?
>
> Some networks simply redirect your browser to a login page; no problem there.
> And I'm not talking about encryption. It's the ones for which my Mac-using
> colleagues simply enter the password into a little dialog that pops up
> automatically when the network needs one.
>
> How does the Debian user do it?
In my whereami.conf, for that particular network, I have a:

wget -O - -q 'https://wireless.logon.page/login.xyz?username=blah&password=bleah' >/dev/null

Obviously this is supremely dodgy, but for me there is only one WLAN
that I use that I have to log into - all of the others are protected by
WEP, WPA, or nothing, so it works OK.

If the WLAN in your case uses basic auth (as it sounds like it might)
then the wget command would be something more like:

wget -O - -q --http-user=user --http-password=password 'https://wireless.logon.page/login.xyz' >/dev/null

Regards,
                                        Andrew.

Andrew @ Catalyst .Net .NZ  Ltd,  PO Box 11-053, Manners St,  Wellington
WEB: http://catalyst.net.nz/            PHYS: Level 2, 150-154 Willis St
DDI: +64(4)803-2201      MOB: +64(272)DEBIAN      OFFICE: +64(4)499-2267
                   Absence makes the heart go wander.

Re: How to use password-protected wireless networks?

John O'Hagan
> John O'Hagan wrote:
[...]
> >One situation which has stumped me, however, is when the network requires
> > a password (which I have, of course, been given!): how do I enter the
> > password?
[...]

Thanks to everyone who replied, you have pointed me in the right direction:
here is the relevant bit from man iwconfig:

        "iwconfig eth0 key s:password [2]"

The "s:" is what you need to enter a string as a key; without that it only
accepts hex digits. The [2] at the end is an example of an index value which
can be entered at any time to activate that key, a very handy feature when
switching networks frequently.

I'll let you know if this actually works when I have had a chance to try it.

Thanks,

John

P.S. Please CC me.

Re: How to use password-protected wireless networks?

Daniel Pittman
John O'Hagan <[hidden email]> writes:
>> John O'Hagan wrote:
> [...]
>> >One situation which has stumped me, however, is when the network requires
>> > a password (which I have, of course, been given!): how do I enter the
>> > password?
> [...]
>
> Thanks to everyone who replied, you have pointed me in the right direction:
> here is the relevant bit from man iwconfig:

[...]

> I'll let you know if this actually works when I have had a chance to
> try it.

G'day.  A useful hint:  I don't know any useful GUI tools to manage it,
but dealing with wireless network roaming, WEP and WPA keys is most
easily managed by the 'wpa_supplicant' package.

Despite the name, this tool handles authenticating with any sort of
wireless network protocol, including WEP.

You can enter the details for your networks in the configuration file,
and then wpa_supplicant just runs quietly in the background and deals
with authentication without you needing to do anything more.

Regards,
        Daniel